Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
219 user(s) are online (116 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 217

Gary Kulp, kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: 2301 generator
Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Hill
See User information
I saw something about 12 volts mentioned in my search . Has to be mislabelled. If it was 12 volt, I think by now that I would have blown bulbs and cooked the battery. I'm looking for the springs for the brush arms, hence trying to identify it. I replaced the brushes last fall, and they have worn down to the point that they are the same size as the ones I took out. When it stopped charging the other day, I reached in and flicked the arms, and it started charging but it's somewhat erratic. This is basically what happened last fall. The brushes are only worn about 1/3. Also, how do I get the pulley off. Tried last year to no avail. I'd like to clean between the segments and maybe put a very small chamfer on the leading edge of them as I think the wear seem a little excessive for only being one year old and maybe a little over a 1000 miles.

Posted on: 2013/9/19 7:37
If it won't move, get a bigger wrench.
If it breaks, it needed fixing anyway.

Mark

1949 Deluxe
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Quote:

DeluxCanuck wrote:
There is no tag on the generator, other than the rebuilders sticker. They were kind enough to remove it(I'm assuming) so it would likely need to go back to them.

It was common - back in the day - for rebuilders to remove the factory tag and place their own on the starters and generators they rebuilt. Or, more commonly, just stamp the type number on the case with maybe a date (i.e., 7702 2-4-50).

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2013/9/19 10:35
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Hill
See User information
OK....I have found some literature for the generator that states
Early - Autolite - GDZ-4801T,
Later - Autolite - GGW-6001E
Convt - Autolite - GGU-6001C
So my generator should be the GGW-6001E. Can anybody give me something that I could use to verify this? Thanks again for the help.

Posted on: 2013/9/19 19:20

Mark

1949 Deluxe
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Jason Smith
See User information
Quote:

DeluxCanuck wrote:
I saw something about 12 volts mentioned in my search . Has to be mislabelled. If it was 12 volt, I think by now that I would have blown bulbs and cooked the battery.

As long as you have a 6 volt regulator, your system is protected. Your 6 volt regulator will keep the output voltage down, although you should have low output issues if it truly is a 12 volt unit.

Getting the pulley off: Remove the 15/16" nut off the front, then very carefully! Pulleys love to get held on to the shaft with rust or corrosion and you have to be careful not to bend the pulley. There's also a key on the shaft, so you won't be able to twist/turn the pulley. Do you have a bearing separator puller? Hit armature shaft with RUBBER hammer. There's quite a few tricks, let me know if it gives you troubles.

1/3 brush wear in 1000 miles? Yikes! You might want to have the commutator (copper segments where the brushes ride) machined true and undercut at an auto electric shop. I can do this for you, but I'm sure there is someone within driving distance. Do some research to make sure the shop knows what they're doing. I know of so called "rebuilders" who have less equipment than most car owners. If you go to one, take along the field case. They should be able to check the amp draw of your field coils and confirm whether they're 6 or 12 volts.

Send me a picture of your brushes and springs, I should have them.

Good Luck, feel free to ask me any questions.

-Jason
Advanced Electrical Rebuilders
Grand Ledge, MI
www.aerrebuild.com
jason@aerrebuild.com
1-866-228-0218

Posted on: 2013/9/19 20:17
Jason
Advanced Electrical Rebuilders
Starter, Generator & Distributor Restoration
jason@aerrebuild.com
www.aerrebuild.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Hill
See User information
Thanks for your help Jason.

Posted on: 2013/9/20 16:02

Mark

1949 Deluxe
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Can anybody give me something that I could use to verify this? Thanks again for the help.

All the references I have say your generator should be a Delco so I know of nothing that can verify the AutoLite as correct - quite the opposite. The only 23rd series to carry Auto Lite were the Custom 8s and Super Deluxe Victoria.

Posted on: 2013/9/20 16:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Hill
See User information
I found this athttps://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/SC/SC-VOL23NO5.pdf

It shows both generators for the 2301 car, which is what I have. Now that it has been determined that I have a 12 volt genny, I need to get the correct one. My starter and distributor are also Autolite.

Attach file:

jpg  (21.81 KB)
4917_523d04834303f.jpg 364X401 px

Posted on: 2013/9/20 21:29

Mark

1949 Deluxe
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Interesting contradiction in source information here. My comments were guided by this page from the Packard Parts List 1948 - 1954 dated January, 1954 and revised June 15, 1954. Only 1 generator, a Delco, is indicated for the 2301. I would tend to favor the information in the parts list over the specification data which was probably readied for publication before the 1st car was built.

Attach file:

jpg  (145.43 KB)
177_523d13e2b8675.jpg 739X1280 px

Posted on: 2013/9/20 22:35
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Dave, I may not be reading this correctly but I see 3 possibilities for the 2301 in the parts manual.

A/L GDZ-4801-T
A/L GGW-6001-E
Delco 1102717

Attach file:

jpg  (135.05 KB)
188_523da225caca7.jpg 998X954 px

Posted on: 2013/9/21 8:41
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Geez! Thanks JD. It's a dull day when you don't learn something new. My error for not reading carefully and I stand corrected, time to get my eyes examined!

Posted on: 2013/9/21 8:48
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved