Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
230 user(s) are online (163 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 230

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Polish aluminum engine
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Believe it or not, I've seen those crankcases done in base coat/clear coat and they looked pretty good. I was skeptical until the unit was together and it was hard to notice.

The reason for the choice is that the finish holds up well and unlike this sand blasting crap didn't ruin a good motor.

Posted on: 2014/1/15 20:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Harley
See User information
Owen

The vapor degreasers bit the dust years ago due to environmental concerns. They used to be used to clean the rogue from musical instruments
beween polishing and lacquering. They can be obtained very easily now...

Regards

John Harley

Posted on: 2014/1/15 22:07
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
John, vapor degreasers are still in operation, though no doubt hidden away from the sight of the EPA. The substitution of 1,1,1-trichloroethane for the earlier trichloroethylene mitigated some (not all) of the health concerns.

Posted on: 2014/1/15 23:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Quote:

bkazmer wrote:
what car of that era used a polished block?

The Marmon V-16 had a polished aluminum block and chrome plated steel.

Posted on: 2014/1/15 23:46
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan (parts ?)
1951 Patrician Touring Sedan
1955 Patrician Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
When I clicked on this thread I fully expected to see one initiated by Gerd about a Packard aluminum engine made in Poland.

The cam covers on the 3.8 Jag engine I'm working on for my youngest son are aluminum and need to be cleaned, not sure if polished. Have to check with Jag guys.

Posted on: 2014/1/16 1:11
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
Quote:

Jim L. in OR wrote:
Quote:

bkazmer wrote:
what car of that era used a polished block?

The Marmon V-16 had a polished aluminum block and chrome plated steel.

While the Marmon Sixteen block was smooth, I believe it was painted, not polished. In any event, it was a very, very low-production engine, with just 400 made. For high-production Packard engines, that would never fly.

Posted on: 2014/1/16 8:48
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packardbarry
See User information
Never have found that NAIL IN THE COFFIN but i think the Crankcase and Pan Assy were painted on the outside with ALUMINUM VARNISH. Seen many a NON-Packard crankcase and pan painted on the inside. Grape Vine is its GLYPTAL - a Varnish Paint. Theres many saying its for oil flow but on the alum crankcases i think they were going for sealing off the porous castings,especially the pan which is i think where most of those drip on the floor come from on an untreated pan/pores. Never have found signs of painting on the inside of PACKARD crankcase etc so makes sense they would do it on the outside which would also give them covering of the steel nuts and valve rocker castings. ALSO have a '30s Service Letter from LINCOLN specing out the Alum Varnish that is to be painted on the outside of their engine crankcases.

Posted on: 2014/1/17 9:35
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Wogec
See User information
Thanks everyone for schooling me again. Fortunately for me, my project is a ground up restoration, so I will be working from the oil pan up. I still haven't done enough research on exactly how to deal with the aluminum, but you have all given me good information to research about exactly how to properly clean, and if necessary, seal it. Thanks again.

Posted on: 2014/1/21 16:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packardbarry
See User information
Right or Wrong I have the inside of the PAN Powdercoated.

My process is:
-Sandblast the hell out of it
-Place UPSIDEDOWN on coffee cans or whatever over newspapers in the Powdercoaters oven for 2 to 3 bake periods. Its unbelievable the oil that comes flowing out.
-Blast again.
-Powdercoat.

Have never found a source for ALUM VARNISH to paint the outside so figure this is the best way to go. If u want paint the outside with a good Alum colored paint. I brush after assy - but thats me.

Many paint the inside with GLYPTAL which available from EASTWOOD.

Posted on: 2014/1/22 12:41
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Powder coat is a cheap ionized plastic that is not as rugged as base coat clear coat. It is not impervious to solvents and will lift when exposed to solvents. Just check any powder coated parts washer.

Glyptol is not the super rugged lead based paint used on cars like Buick to seal in casting debris. It also flakes off and goes through the motor. As well it is an insulator that inhibits heat transfer. Not a good idea in Packards.

Not really sure what to make of the baking idea without a chemical analysis. According to petroleum engineering handbooks the primary cause of premature engine wear is dirt.

Obviously sand is in the dirt category, as is flaking paint. However, restrictions on volatile organic solvents is inhibiting some good cleaning methods.

Those motors run dirty to begin with and the only way to clean up some of the problems is brand new parts. Not possible in the case of carburetors.

Posted on: 2014/1/22 18:15
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved