Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
101 user(s) are online (60 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 101

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Another VIN question
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
To me that would be the best number to use. Pretty hard to get rid of that stamped firewall number unless someone cut it out of the welded in a blank piece of steel. If that happened them any Packard person would know something was fishy right away.

Posted on: 2008/10/10 23:06
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

autonut
See User information
I purchased a '49 Station Wagon a few years back with a bill of sale and no title. I now want to title the vehicle to restore, however I cannot find the VIN number anywhere or where one might have been. There is no VIN # plate on the cowl under the hood nor can I find one on the left door pillar anywhere. This is where VIN numbers usually are. I got two engine blocks that were with the auto so don't know which engine was the original. What to do? Any ideas? I will have to get this auto inspected, so wondering if they will except the stamped body dash number which seems like it should be the VIN number.
Lee

Posted on: 2009/3/21 15:41
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Don't know about WA regs but am convinced the amount of trouble usually depends on the mood of the DMV person that day. My 47 is also registered by the stamped number. I had a bill of sale & did have the cowl number--no other paperwork (which would have been out of system anyway due to length of non reg). The inspector would only use the stamped number as the cowl plate could be unscrewed. If you're lucky to have the bill of sale reflect that number, might not be too bad but might have to post a bond (I did on one car). Here is a link to the engine serial numbers which might help you tell which is original engine.https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/article/view.article.php?246 Might be worth a phone call or find a friend or dealer that knows the in's & outs of your DMV.

Posted on: 2009/3/21 16:02
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

John Sauser
See User information
Autonut:
You need to go in and talk to the guys in the WSP inspection station. Best to go in person not phone, they work by appointment and may be too busy to spend time on the phone, but you can always hang around until they have time to spend with you.
Take all of the paper work that you have on the car with you. You will likely have to make an appointment to take the car in and they will inspect it and run all of the numbers through the system. In Bellevue there is a 3 month waiting line.
If it checks out OK they will issue a provisional title, if no one files any claims on it for three years then you get a full clear title.
Don't delay as this is a three year process, car doesn't need to be running, they get towed in all the time.
I did this on an Airstream motor home with a totaly screwed up title and am waiting 1 more year for a clear title.
The guys at the WSP station in Bellevue were very helpful.

Good luck, and get on it.
John

Posted on: 2009/3/22 10:19
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
autonut wrote: I purchased a '49 Station Wagon a few years back........Lee

G'day Lee,
to PackardInfo. And I invite you to include your '49 in the Owner Registry together with a pic and any known history.

Posted on: 2009/3/22 15:20
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Michael Evans
See User information
Hi Everybody

Seems like you all have the same problem I am having except having a Packard over here in the UK which needs "build date confirmed by a recognised body" is twice as hard !!!

Does anyone know how I PROVE that my car a 1948 22nd Series SIX Export Touring Sedan was built in 1948 ?

Would any of the major packard Clubs qualify ?

Putting "22nd Series SIX Export Touring Sedan" into the search box will take you to my car history.

Best regards Michael

Posted on: 2009/3/26 10:02
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Having an original and legible patent plate would aid in proving the "model year" car with the assistance of any one of a number of Packard-origin documents. But of course your 1948 could also be a 1949 if you have a -9- inserted between the body type and production sequence #.

Should the patent (VN) plate be missing, the Briggs body number could serve the same purpose.

As to actual "build date", LOL without the build slip.

Posted on: 2009/3/26 10:15
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved