Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
61 user(s) are online (45 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 61

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: Paint or Powder Coat Rims?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
How many shades does black come in?

Come on, black is black no matter what you call it. Crow Black, Coal Black, Pot Calling The Kettle Black, what's the difference.

Posted on: 2010/2/24 21:53
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Black is not black. There is green black, blue black, brown black.

Edit: Plus there is gloss, semi-gloss, satin, and flat. There is black with and without metallic. It just goes on and on.

(o {I{ o)

Posted on: 2010/2/24 21:55
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
Quote:
Hank: The price of $25.00 per rim isn't a bad price per rim.

that was for 15" steel rims in black, i can't speak for any other parts or colors/types.

i want to say that i remembered seeing a chrome color in there samples, but i can't remember 100% they use dupont and dupont list a Chrome Like color...follow this link. http://www2.dupont.com/Powder/en_US/brands/alesta.html

their number is 817-295-1900 and website is http://www.burlesonpowdercoating.com/

the had all 4 rims, sway bar, driveshaft, drip pan and trans mount sandblasted for 150. not too bad, could been less i guess. they don't sandblast inhouse. they send out, so next time i will go to their source direct, probably be less that way.

and yeah, there are different blacks. dupont 44 may be way different from powdercoat gloss black...etc....

Kev, thanks for the info ;0)

i may try to call Dupont and find out if they can match the paint code 44 in a powdercoat. burleson powdercoating uses dupont powder coats, but they didn't seem to interested in findout about matching the color. if dupont can do that then i will try to find someone that can powder coat them based on that match, if not i will get them painted. most likely painted since that was stock.

i know i am kinda extreme on the oringal thing huh...LOL!

Posted on: 2010/2/25 0:13
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Jim
See User information
Hank wrote: "I know I am kinda extreme on the original thing huh...LOL!"

You know Hank; I have been following your project thread the whole time you have been posting. You are doing one heck of a job! What I have done on Kelsey Hayes wheels for brand X cars that were delivered to the factory in semi-gloss black and then sprayed at the factory to color key the specific car they went (front of wheel only) on is have them powder coated, sand the fronts (powder coat sands very well) Prime with a recommended primer and color key to the vehicle. You could do the same if you are not satisfied with the exterior finish, yet have the durability of powder coat. $25 a wheel is a bargain!

I share your exuberance for that correct factory finish, as you can see in the attached images, powder coated, and then color keyed and even the factor exact overspray on the backside. This is an example of a wheel that I duplicated through research on the factory finish for that brand X particular project.

What ever you decide will likely work out just fine.

Have fun,
Jim

Attach file:

jpg  (31.76 KB)
169_4b86118914851.jpg 648X486 px

jpg  (32.66 KB)
169_4b8611e6c9533.jpg 648X486 px

Posted on: 2010/2/25 1:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

tbirdman
See User information
Two issues I see we powder coating. Amy rust pit you have will still be there with powder coating. Second thought is with the thicker powder coating, will you have any trouble withthe hub caps staying on.

Personally, I would bead blast the rims, fill in the pits and then paint them.

Posted on: 2010/2/25 1:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Larry51
See User information
G'day Hank, Many good comments above. A couple of thoughts . . . .

I'll suggest that two-pak (catalyzed) paint can give you an extremely durable finish that is on a par with powder coating, but as mentioned the most important aspect is surface preparation and priming. A good powder coating job will start with media blasting and then usually a good zinc-rich primer ('International Inter-Zinc' Epoxy Primer to name one) is applied before the powder coating. That primer is the important factor for both good rust prevention and excellent adhesion whether you are painting or powder coating.

The metal should first be treated with Deoxidine (Phosphoric Acid solution) to form a coating and neutralize any rust there.

I have a contact who works at a powder coating company and his opinion is that 2-pak paint is about as good so either way it will be a good job! Might just come down to cost and colour. I 2-pak'd the chassis of my '51 myself. It saved transporting it to and from, plus I knew it was done properly. I am very happy with the finish, it's hard as a rock!

Posted on: 2010/2/25 4:13
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
Quote:
Personally, I would bead blast the rims, fill in the pits and then paint them.

they are already bead blasted, then i am taking them to get the pits filled and have them trued and bead rolled for perfection. then painted/powder coated. the outside of the rim has no pits, just on the inside and on parts of the bead (they do hold air, but i don't like the pits)

if painting them is like 100 bucks a rim....well it looks like powder coating at 25 a rim is in my future. LOL!

i don't know, its a hard decission. to many variables LOL! one way or another i hope to have the white walls on it before Salado. ;0)

Posted on: 2010/2/25 9:32
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The steps to take no doubt depends significantly on the condition of the wheels in the first place, and we shouldn't assume that ordinary auto paint won't provide adequate protection and longevity. My Caribbean wheels were essentially rust-free, but in the incorrect color. Body work and paint is my weak suit, but I simply chemically stripped the old paint, sanded lightly, wire-brushed the beads where the tire rim mounts, and checked for trueness by mounting and spinning on a front hub with a dial indicator. Then I swabbed with dilute phosophoric acid, primed and Nitro-staned a few spots, and sprayed with DuPont automotive acrylic lacquer from a rattle can mixed by Tower Paint to the OEM color specification. That was 13 years ago and they still look the same today, despite a considerable amount of road use. Cost was not an important factor, but was perhaps $25 for all 5 wheels.

Posted on: 2010/2/25 9:56
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
i called dupont and they cannot cross reference the paint code 44 to a powdercoating. powder coat is just black, plain black...nothing more. fyi.

Posted on: 2010/2/25 12:14
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Ok, I'll give that there are some different tints of black.

Yet, consider this page from a paint cross-reference feature that I found on a Mustang resource, which provides usage by year/make/model:

http://mustangattitude.com/cgi-bin/colorcodedisplay.cgi?ditzler=9200&rows=50

Chevy also used PPG/Ditzler 9200 for 1956-1958; intersting that they also called it Onyx Black. Yet, I found some reference to 9300 for their Onyx Black as well. That 9300 is what I recognize as the most common black used by Chevy in decades since. Intersting to note that DuPont's 93-005 covers both PPG's 9200 and 9300 blacks. They must be awfully close in tint.

Now, before anyone else gets too excited about the above resource, I ran a few Ditzler codes for 1956 Packard colors and came up with nothing - except the paint code for Roman Copper was also used by Olds in '56. Apparently, Packard had some very exclusive colors, but black was not one of them.

Posted on: 2010/2/25 19:24
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved