Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
70 user(s) are online (48 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 70

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Very slow wipers...
Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
And ones that work on demand, depends on your priorities.

Posted on: 2010/10/22 1:33
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
There is no need to go to 12 volt.

I would like to add, however, that you may want to clean and lubricate your linkage under the dashboard. Mine were so gunked up with dry grease they didn't work at all. Once I gave my wiper motor a lube bath and cleaned the linkage, the wipers worked like a hot bull in spring.

Posted on: 2010/10/22 6:39
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Paul Weeks
See User information
Uhmmmm, thanks guys... I plan to go the "clean, lube then rebuild (if needed)" route. I don't plan on driving my baby in the rain anyway. I just like everything to work if possible.

Posted on: 2010/10/22 8:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
In addition to the linkage under the dash, don't forget to put some light oil on the shafts that go through the wiper shaft housings on the cowl. They are exposed to the elements and over time and the shafts and bores will bind up.

(o{I}o)

Posted on: 2010/10/22 12:39
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
The wipers on my 50 didn't work at all. Used Marvel Mystery Oil into the wiper motor (i followed some lube directions i found on here, don't recall how i got it in) and they started working great. They were awesome at idle with high vacuum but under a load or acceleration they got slow....vacuum connection with the pump and manifold was disconnected and turns out the vacuum pump was shot. It's off the car to be switched out at the moment.

Posted on: 2010/10/22 16:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Quote:
They were awesome at idle with high vacuum but under a load or acceleration they got slow....

I cannot understand why Packard had electric wipers before '48 but went to inferior vacuum wipers in later years. I guess if you don't drive your car very much they'd be ok, but I still like the dependability of electric wipers, be they 6v or 12v.

Posted on: 2010/10/22 17:27
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Though I've heard that American Motors vehicles were still equipped with vacuum wiper motors well into the 1960s, it's hard to imagine the choice being simply a matter of production cost for Packard.

My guess is that as additional electrical equipment was added over the years, Packard vehicles were approaching the limits of generator output (or management thereof), and they went to vacuum power ro reduce the load on the electrical system.

Properly serviced and with an auxiliary vacuum source, the vac-powered wipers seem adequate to me. Yet, I wouldn't consider any conversion to an electric motor for my V8s other than the OE Trico unit, as used on some 55-57 Chevies (or quality reproduction thereof).

It appears that owners of 6-volt vehicles have no other choice but a modern aftermarket conversion to electric.

Posted on: 2010/10/22 18:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Quote:
Yet, I wouldn't consider any conversion to an electric motor for my V8s other than the OE Trico unit, as used on some 55-57 Chevies (or quality reproduction thereof).

My suggestion as well. On late '49 and up cars it bolts right in and uses the stock wiper control. I've used both and wasn't a fan of the Newport Engineering motor, mine burned out in 6 months. The original never-been-touched '57 Chevy car unit was still working when I sold the car, 3 years later.

Posted on: 2010/10/22 18:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
Weren't electric wiper motors an option on the junior Packards before the war?

Posted on: 2010/10/22 18:52
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Not an option, they were standard equipment on some prewar juniors.

Posted on: 2010/10/22 18:53
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved