Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
46 user(s) are online (34 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 46

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: Keegan's Replacement Fuel Tank
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
could one theoritcally cut it open, clean it out, and weld it back shut. just wondering if that is an option to sending it somewhere. or is the metal to thin to weld?

Posted on: 2011/2/23 10:20
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
could one theoritcally cut it open, clean it out, and weld it back shut. just wondering if that is an option to sending it somewhere. or is the metal to thin to weld?

Posted on: 2011/2/23 10:30
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Most gas tanks were made of terne plate, I assume the late Packard tanks were as well. Terne plate is mild steel protected from corrosion with a coating of tin/lead, not unlike galvanizing except that uses zinc. Problem with welding terne plate is the heat will destroy the coating, leaving a site of naked steel ripe for accelerated corrosion, so I suspect that if a tank is opened and rewelded, then the polymeric coating of gas tank sealer becomes nearly mandatory. This leaves the question of how the two tank halves were originally bonded; don't know, perhaps the anticorrosion coating was applied after the tank was formed?

Posted on: 2011/2/23 10:30
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Many tanks are welded by passing the flange thru a rolling seam welder. Essentially a pair of opposing narrow wheels, each having a copper disc or electrode comprising the middle of the circumference. Once the flange is inserted, pressure and power is applied and the wheels pull the material thru at a constant rate. A continuous spot weld if you will. The heat is minimal anywhere other than directly between the electrodes. Technology is old enough that Packard or their vendor may have done it that way.

Posted on: 2011/2/23 10:50
Howard
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
That tank could be Renu'd. They would media blast it inside and out, repair any dents or holes and seal it with a baked on coating both inside and out that is guaranteed for life.

Speaking of which, I dropped my tank of this morning to have that done. Should get it back in about 10 days.

The process and where I took my tank:

http://www.macsrad.com/gastankrenew.php

Posted on: 2011/2/23 12:52
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Keegan Chaput
See User information
Wow, that looks like a lot of work. Your tank should be like brand new! Very Cool.

The tank I cut in half would not have been a candidate for that process. You could have put a screwdriver through the metal just about anywhere. After they blasted it, there wouldn't have been much left.

Posted on: 2011/2/23 14:03
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Yeah, probably not a good fit then.

Posted on: 2011/2/23 14:07
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Mike
See User information
What is the approximate price?

Quote:

BigKev wrote:
That tank could be Renu'd. They would media blast it inside and out, repair any dents or holes and seal it with a baked on coating both inside and out that is guaranteed for life.

Speaking of which, I dropped my tank of this morning to have that done. Should get it back in about 10 days.

The process and where I took my tank:

http://www.macsrad.com/gastankrenew.php

Posted on: 2011/2/23 14:54
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Quote:

Keegan wrote:
I decided to try and develop a replacement fuel tank for the 51-56 cars.

My main focus is to keep the cost as low as possible while providing a new tank that will have the appearance of a stock tank.

The 55-56 Chevrolet tank comes the closest to the shape and size of the original Packard tank. The Chevrolet tank is also very cheap, compared to other new replacement tanks. Another selling point is that these tanks should be available forever and they have a built in drain.

With that being said, it is not perfect. For those of you who strictly adhere to Packard originality, this tank is not for you.

Let's hear some opinions about this tank replacement.

Hi Gang,

I've been laid up the last few days with a bug and am just now catching up on my reading.

Keegan's idea is what I was trying to talk Classic into doing with their 55 - 56 tanks. They preferred that the buyer modify it and that's where is was when I got sick.

The filler pipe is just about the only thing that is still usable on mine so I second the idea about re-using them.

I'm going to try and hit Classic with the sheer number of '51 - '56 Packards made and see if I can get anywhere with that.

Barring Classic changing their mind, I second Keegan idea.

I'm going to take my old tank to Tom at Able and see if he has any ideas, but since a snow storm is threatening here, I may not get it to him until next week.

If he doesn't, if anyone wants my old tank for any reason let me know.

Posted on: 2011/2/23 14:57
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan (parts ?)
1951 Patrician Touring Sedan
1955 Patrician Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I'm going to try and hit Classic with the sheer number of '51 - '56 Packards made and see if I can get anywhere with that.

Maybe better to try to hit them as well with an estimate of the number remaining that are candidates for tanks. With a large number of cars emerging after long dormancies, it would seem the market could easily be several hundred tanks at the least, maybe much more if the price was reasonable. I might even buy one just to set it aside for insurance against future problems.

I've been lucky with gas tanks, neither of my cars was ever out of service for more than a few months since new and hence the tanks are pretty pristine though I finally had to have the 34 tank cleaned & coated some years back (and it's a dog to do with the 6 internal compartments/baffles). My 56 still has an untouched tank and I never get rust in the filters but I know some day the problem will hit.

PS - as to using the Chevy 16 gallon tank as a basis, I think most folks who tour extensively with their 51-56 Packards would really find that a negative - given the gas mileage these cars get even under the best of conditions, I think most of us wish the tanks were even a bit larger than 20 gallons.

Posted on: 2011/2/23 15:21
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved