Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
157 user(s) are online (105 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 157

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Bottom Bottom   Previous Topic Previous Topic   Next Topic Next Topic   Register To PostTopic is Locked

« 1 ... 99 100 101 (102) 103 104 105 ... 170 »

Re: Wade's Workshop
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Friday 20th January 2012

After yesterdays sabbatical, with the grand-daughters, it was back to cleaning Packard parts today. Finished the major clean up of the sump(oil pan) then turned to the front of Junior. It was only a couple of years ago I scraped and cleaned half of Idaho off the coupe's chassis and did a minor clean up of JohnM's '39 Six front chassis. Needless to say I wasn't looking forward to it because it's just a long, hard, dirty slog. Started on the left shock and from there the left side of the front crossmember. That's as far as I got, so will be back at it on Monday and hopefully should have it done by days end.

While I was doing that Wade was shuffling parts between the donor and Juniors trans and OD, having cleaned up the donor parts yesterday. Put together what he could from the parts available, the rest will have to wait for the mainshaft and parts coming from the US. Speaking of yesterday, Wade decided not to wait any longer for Col to part off the mainshaft retaining flange and undertook the parts trip anyway. Dropped the waterpumps off with David at Anglade, Juniors cam to Graham at Wilkins Performance Engines but struck out at Grippy Rubber, they didn't have a suitable substitute for the felt strips for The Fossil. The trip to the Gearbox Factory will now be next week anyway. Because Wade had a call from Col, later in the day, to say he'd been about to do the job but dropped the cutting bit and it shattered!

Did I mention waterpumps? I did, because earlier in the week I forwarded a link to Wade to this eBay listing. Wade called me yesterday, on my day off mind you, to say give it a go because the machining required to convert the pumps to modern bearings and seals was more than the value of the pump listed even including shipping of US$100! So did as I was bid and did bid, and successfully too. But, when I remitted payment, also queried the shipping charge of US$100, more in hope than expection, and was pleasantly surprised to wake this morning to find the seller had credited back US$28! Paid to ask the question! And speaking of eBay, Wade was also short a bulb for the Signal Stat turn signal unit on The Fossil. The bulb in the one I'd bought off eBay for him was fritzed. Had been looking for some weeks for a replacement on eBay and finally found this listing which I also forwarded to Wade. This too was part of yesterdays conversation, because Wade couldn't find the fritzed bulb which he'd put away in a very good safe place, isn't that the way it always goes? I was instructed to disassemble my Signal Stat to measure the bulb there. Me, on the tools? Yes, well after some hesitation, finally figured out the bulb was in a clip in the end of the signal shaft and removed and measured it up. Perfect, same dimensions! So eBay gained another transaction with the seller advising it was posted today. Later still Wade came back to say he'd found the fritzed bulb and to buy the bulbs listed. Was happy to inform Wade I was ahead of him and had already done so. Just wondering too, pity Fred still isn't with us, if the seller of the waterpump Old Parts Source of Montville NJ is Kanters of Boonton NJ by another name? Montville is only a mile or so up the road from Boonton.

Attach file:

jpg  (44.38 KB)
226_4f18edf5bff4e.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (52.29 KB)
226_4f18f05b960bc.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (48.47 KB)
226_4f18f073ca479.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (32.65 KB)
226_4f18f0873490f.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2012/1/19 23:43
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Forsyth
See User information
Yes, thanks a million, Mal. I agree this sort of thing is therapeutic.......seeing the old become nice again.........but then how much therapy does one need?

I owe ya one.

Posted on: 2012/1/20 17:13
Carpe Diem!! Registry

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Wile
See User information
Is it just me or is anyone else wondering what is going on with the "Fossil"??

Posted on: 2012/1/21 0:12
PA Patrician (Tim Wile)

[size=x-small][color=000099][font=Georgia][url=https://packardinfo.c

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Tim,

There are some out there who take more than a passing interest in The Fossil, you are but one of them!

I am regularly approached by others and advised that Wade should cut back(read cut out) doing work for others on their Packards and concentrate on getting The Fossil completed. It's not as easy as that, first because Wade is a gentleman and wouldn't say no if he could help it. Secondly because of the stop start nature of the work required. It's often that you think you have everything ready to do something and find part way through doing it that you don't or a problem crops up that you weren't prepared for. In circumstances such as those a rethink or new or different parts are required which are often hard to find or require shipping time from overseas. This makes it a stop start process as best, consequently it gets worked on when the planets, and parts, align.

In the last year more has probably been done than the previous two years put together so progress is being made. I think the restoration has been going on for about 8 to 10 years. Probably would have been finished by now except a fire completely destroyed the finished and painted body a few years after resto started. So this is body #2 which was married with the chassis back in November 2010. And, rest assured, when work is done I will report on it.

Posted on: 2012/1/21 1:15
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Monday 23rd January 2012

Started to scrape the right side of the front frame rail and crossmember when Wade arrived carrying the donor mainshaft. However the retaining collar wasn't off! Much of it had been turned away but not all the way through. Apparently things had started to rotate in the lathe at that point and it couldn't be cut any further. Wade thought there was a possibility the shaft might be able to be pushed through seeing there wasn't much metal left on the collar, but it wasn't to be. So into the ute and off to see Les at the Gearbox Factory. However arriving at the Gearbox Factory Les wasn't there, but was expected back soon. Turns out, after waiting for a while and after a call to Les, that instead of Ashbury he'd gone to Asquith and wouldn't be back any time soon. Les did get Col to come and attend to Wade's requirements and, after explanation and discussions, the mainshafts and other parts were left with him. Turns out Col used to work at Graden Gears where, about 45 years ago, I had the axle shafts for my dragster shortened for it's narrowed rear end. Apparently the rail and it's narrowed rear end is still going strong, running in the Nostalgia Drags here a couple of times a year, so I discovered about 12 months ago.

Back at the workshop, after helping Wade position and align the lift arms, Big Red went up on the hoist. Big Red received an undercar inspection for amongst other things squeaks from the rear, possibly the rubber spring hanger bushes, and the bane of Wade's life, oil leaks. The front wheel bearings and the brakes all round were also adjusted. So, while Wade was otherwise occupied, I returned to Junior and the front crossmember. After about 3 hours with a scraper and wire brush the right side now resembles the left side, being a whole lot cleaner. Pre paint preparation with Marine Clean and Metal Ready still needs to be done prior to applying the POR-15.

On the way to the Gearbox Factory Wade said he'd had a call from Kangaroo Island on Saturday. Now Kangaroo Island is where the Packard Automobile Club of Australia(PACA) had it's National Rally in 2010. It's also where PACA member RobT is at present so Wade answered the call with "Hello Rob". Except it wasn't! Was a stranger who lives on the island and had purchased Old Blue from Dave and Shelley. The guy had seen the Packards there during the Rally and had taken note of them. The guy had rang to tell Wade he'd driven Old Blue from Queenslands Gold Coast to the island, a distance of about 1,350 miles(2,170kms) without any troubles, didn't use any oil and didn't overheat and was very pleased with it. Although it didn't overheat, it did get hot at times but Wade was able to reassure him that's in the nature of 120's and to be expected. Then, about half an hour later, Wade DID receive a call from a very excited RobT telling him he'd just seen Old Blue in the main street on the island!

Now speaking of Dave and Shelley, I'd sent Dave a note a few days ago inquiring, if the '39 Twelve had landed and was it home yet? Received a somewhat cryptic reply of "....Whatever Barry Smith tells you about our 12, tow ropes, cops and a serious depletion of his personal 12 spare parts inventory is utter rubbish...." Well a reply like that only whetted my appetite so I flicked it onto Barry who replied "....No truth to the rumour, that David had problems. The rope on the front is purely decorative....." with a picture attached. However today Wade spilled his guts over the whole sorry affair. Isn't there something along the lines of: if two or more people share a secret it's not really a secret? And tonight a call from Barry who advised Dave's mobile phone had travelled to Kangsaroo Island inadvertently so I wasn't going to get a reply from Dave to the message I left. Dave and Shelley had heard on Thursday that the Twelve was at the importers at Belmont. Plan was a leisurely drive down the next day to pick it up. But......apparently Dave and Shelley couldn't sleep, doubt either that I could in those circumstances, and set out at midnight and drove the 445 miles(717kms) arriving Friday morning. Then, after arranging the necessary registration/permits, commenced the drive to Barry's place at Tamworth, about 187 miles(301kms) only to have a vapor lock problem so spent an overnight stay at Singelton. Next day more problems were encountered on the way at Wallabadah about 30 miles(50kms) from Tamworth. Because Barry had been expecting them and they didn't show he set out on a mission of mercy and was able to lend enough assistance to get them to his place. Three days were then spent installing a new electric fuel pump, bypassing the troublesome mechanical one which was the cause of the latest woes. A number of other things were attended to which Barry didn't elaborate on but he did say the Twelve has an excellent body with absolutely no rust and the wood is perfect. Following all that Dave and Shelley then set out this morning to drive home, a distance of about 370 miles(595 kms) with instructions from Barry to call from Armidale about 70 miles(112kms) north. Leaving early in the morning Barry figured he should hear about mid morning or a little later. Well time went, and went, and went and finally a call at 2pm from Ballina, about 308 miles(495kms) north and on the coast. Dave and Shelley had pushed on and decided to stop there overnight with the run home tomorrow. Although that's not the full story, I dare not repeat all I heard because there could be serious repercussions if it became public. Just let me say this, go back and review Dave's statement then let your imagination loose, I will say no more!

Attach file:

jpg  (42.61 KB)
226_4f1d32b165ff7.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (21.48 KB)
226_4f1d32c726013.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (24.99 KB)
226_4f1d32dcc796e.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (45.43 KB)
226_4f1d32f31ab6a.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (28.93 KB)
226_4f1d33aa56992.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (42.54 KB)
226_4f1d33c99334a.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (44.71 KB)
226_4f1d33e546155.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2012/1/23 5:24
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Tuesday 24th January 2012

The pre-POR15 cleaning and preparation process on Juniors front frame rails and crossmember mostly occupied my time while at the workshop for a couple of hours this morning. A messy process with Marine Clean, then water, then blow dry with air, then metal Ready, then water and again blow dry with air. Had to wait after applying the Marine Clean and Metal Ready to give them time to do their jobs. All is ready now for POR15 tomorrow. Also cleaned up a very specific looking hand made clamp which was passed onto Wade by one of the guys who comes into the workshop. Don't know if it'll ever be used but at least it'll be be protected and look pretty.

At first, while I was doing that, Wade took Big Red around to Tyre and Wheel Company and left it with them. Yesterday, while up on the hoist, some uneven wear was noticed on the front tyres. Wade is getting T & W Co to measure up what the setup is a present then, depending on what is found, going from there. With nothing further able to be done on Junior Wade then turned to The Fossil. Do I hear a round of applause out there? First he tested then fitted a bulb, from the four bought off eBay, to the Signal Stat turn indicator unit. Wade then fitted the chrome 'collars' to each side of the windscreen opening moulding. For this, at least for the right side one, I was co-opted into play to provide some leverage to align the holes so Wade could get the screws into place. Then shortly before I was due to leave Wade received a call from the Gearbox Factory. They have some concerns and questions about the mainshaft and parts, which Wade thought was better off discussing with them face to face, with the parts at hand. So Wade took off too, but with strict instructions for a full update tomorrow.

Attach file:

jpg  (48.88 KB)
226_4f1e2f1597051.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (51.03 KB)
226_4f1e2f2aafe19.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (44.12 KB)
226_4f1e2f3fd5337.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (42.69 KB)
226_4f1e2f66e62d9.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (18.82 KB)
226_4f1e2f7ec43b5.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (31.14 KB)
226_4f1e306dec24a.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (21.36 KB)
226_4f1e3082bdf5f.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (42.46 KB)
226_4f1e30fcde252.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2012/1/23 23:18
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Wile
See User information
Looking forward to the future update on the Fossil. I'll stay tuned!

Posted on: 2012/1/24 3:01
PA Patrician (Tim Wile)

[size=x-small][color=000099][font=Georgia][url=https://packardinfo.c

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Wednesday 25th January 2012

Seem to have had a lot of short days at the workshop recently, well this was another one! No sooner had I arrived, than I was whisked off in Big Red because the mainshaft was ready to be picked up. When Wade went over yesterday they'd just about done it all, but needed to run things past Wade about securing the gears on the shaft. Wade's idea had been that the groove at the front of the mainshaft would be machined for a large circlip/snap ring with a spacer between it and the gear set on the shaft. Turned out the Gearbox Factory took a slightly different approach by machining and fitting the large circlip/snap ring hard against the gear set with the spacer on the outside of the large circlip/snap ring. The spacer is machined with the same profile as the collar which was removed, looks very nice. The Gearbox Factory also glass bead blasted the shaft and the gear sets on them and fitted a sleeve to the worn front bearing surface, looks like a new 'un.

Back at the workshop wasn't able to do the POR-15'ing of Juniors front chassis and shocks because I'd run out of time. Instead caught up with what Wade had accomplished yesterday on The Fossil. Finished fitting the windscreen surround moulding and the hardware involved as well as mounting the moulding above the windscreen and the bezels for wiper motors in it. Looks like the POR-15'ing will now be on Monday because tomorrow is a public holiday, Australia Day, and I won't be in on Friday after donating blood plasma.

And received an email from Dave last night which in part said: "...Larry (from the USA) has emailed advising the sale offer of the Barrymore limo. It is a 1 off vehicle, modified by Packard for Barrymore....Thought it might interest someone in Oz through your channels...." and included part of an email from LarryP "...I am going to sell my 1938 Packard 12 Limousine. I bought a 1937 Seven Passenger 12 Sedan at Scottsdale last weekend. I am partial to 1937's and that's the only year I want as I have two complete 1937 12 Limousines that I can use for parts. One is very restorable but probably will never be restored due to the high cost vs. value of the finished car. I reluctantly am selling my '38 as I don't have room for it and I need the funds to use for the '37 I bought. The '38 is a super tour car and needs nothing. I could jump in it right now and go on a 1000 or more mile trip. It has radials and overdrive. It has just had an engine overhaul with modern rod bearings. I have driven the car on several Caravans with no problems. The original owner was the film actor Lionel Barrymore. I haven't set a price yet but it will be reasonable. I thought you might have an Aussie friend who would be interested...." So, if anyone is interested?

Attach file:

jpg  (20.86 KB)
226_4f1f715d33cd9.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (47.85 KB)
226_4f1f717415fe2.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (37.45 KB)
226_4f1f718dbc807.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (44.54 KB)
226_4f1f71bff330a.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (37.75 KB)
226_4f1f71cfe14b0.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (37.04 KB)
226_4f1f71e968303.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (48.77 KB)
226_4f1f71fe2e861.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (33.33 KB)
226_4f1f721685add.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (33.15 KB)
226_4f1f723542981.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (29.08 KB)
226_4f1f724626ec4.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (14.97 KB)
226_4f1f7256e1db2.jpg 384X512 px

Posted on: 2012/1/24 22:12
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Hey Mal, a belated happy Australia Day. But, try and be more kind to your Prime Minister.

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2012/1/26 18:41
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

JW wrote:
Hey Mal, a belated happy Australia Day. But, try and be more kind to your Prime Minister.

(o[]o)

What's with the rough stuff anyway. I always thought Australians were civilized and genteel. Not like the English at a football match or the rabble-rousers we have here.

Posted on: 2012/1/26 20:00
Howard

« 1 ... 99 100 101 (102) 103 104 105 ... 170 »

Register To PostTopic is Locked

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved