Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
110 user(s) are online (50 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 108

John Sauser, BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 125 126 127 (128) 129 130 131 ... 145 »

Re: BigKev's 1937 115-C Convertible Coupe
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
Packard Don wrote:.....As for the horn and the intermittent contact, just leave the wire as it is so that it will honk automatically around corners!

Posted on: 1/15 17:11
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
My new alternator arrived, but I'm still waiting on the needed brackets. They left Kent, WA, then went to Los Angeles, and are now in Seattle. After the parts finish their tour of the Pacific coast, I hope they will eventually head my way!

Posted on: 1/17 9:45
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
One of the custom fairings has been removed to allow running boards to be reinstalled. A Sawzall and grinder sent it to the great beyond.

Click to see original Image in a new window

Click to see original Image in a new window

Eventually I'll replace the rockers with the good set I have. But this is good enough to let me finish the mockup. Need to lop the fairing off the other side, then I can remount the running board supports.

Posted on: 1/18 14:50
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Bump! Final plea on this before I have to guess!

Quote:

BigKev wrote:
Quote:

TxGoat wrote:
Mine has a single bolt attaching the brace to the bottom of the frame immediately ahead of the radius rod ball socket. The brace is a straight, light sheet metal channel with flattened ends. The flanges go down. The fender has a flat lower flange behind the wheel opening about 3/4" wide, and about 5" back of the wheel opening, it widens to about 1" for about 2". The outboard end of the brace attaches there with two small bolts.

The installed brace makes a 90 deg angle to the lower edge of the fender, or close to it. If you have a stock brace, attaching it to the frame would show you about where should attach to the fender.

How far are the two bolt holes in the fender flange from the outside edge of the fender?

Posted on: 1/19 10:13
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
Forgot about that...!

The 2 bolt holes in the lower fender flange are 5/8 inboard from the vertical side of the fender. They are 3/4" apart, and they accommodate 1/8" bolts, nuts & washers.The distance from the center of the brace frame bolt to the center line of the fender bolt holes is 19 3/4". The lower edge of the fender has a very slight inward curve going forward from the running board to the wheel opening, and the vertical side of the fender also has a slight inboard curve. Going forward from where the fender mates to the running board to a point half way between the two brace holes in the fender flange is 23 1/2". These are steel tape measurements, but they should be within 1/16". Both fenders on my car show the same slight inboard curve ahead of the running board.

Posted on: 1/19 16:12
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Thanks!

Posted on: 1/19 16:14
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
1/8” bolts? Did you mean 1/4” bolts? As I recall, my 1940s had 1/4” or 5/16” but 1/8” would be #5 screws which are tiny and probably non-existant.

Posted on: 1/20 3:22
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
They may be 1/4". I believe the heads are 7/16. I can check on that later today. They may be the same size and thread as the fan to water pump bolts.

Posted on: 1/20 9:59
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
They are 1/4".

Running out to the hardware store today as I need to buy some 3/8" bolts to mount the running board supports. There are still some remains of the original rivets in the frame where the supports were cut out in the past. So I'll need to grind those out.

The left running board is a NOS one with its original rubber cover. The back edge piece was pretty petrified and I am worried that when tightened against the rear fender it will just break off. So I have that area wrapped in a shop towel saturated with PB Blaster. I've use that successfully in the past to rehydrate petrified rubber. So we will see how well that works.

Posted on: 1/20 10:00
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Try some Gummi Pflege Stift on the rubber but for something as large as a running board, there may by a “non-stift” (non-stick) version that you can spray on. Otherwise, get the Pflege Stift and open it up rather than using the applicator in order to get faster coverage. It’s not cheap but it works miracles on hard rubber!

Posted on: 1/20 16:34
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 125 126 127 (128) 129 130 131 ... 145 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved