Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
142 user(s) are online (85 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 141

remi, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 12 13 14 (15) 16 17 18 ... 108 »

Re: Recent additions to the Owner Registry
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Yeah, that was the problem. His user name did not match his registry entry. It should all work now.

Posted on: 2010/10/8 20:20
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Kev,

Posted on: 2010/10/8 22:12
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
and to DEP5, for including HER(Looks like we have another member of the fairer sex on board by the pic included) '47 Custom Super Clipper Eight Touring Sedan in the Packard Owner's Registry.

Posted on: 2010/10/8 22:17
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Did a substantial remodel on the Owner's Registry. Hopefully it should now be easier to browse through, and search.

Also I replaced the Thumbnail generator, so it should now be able to handle larger photos. So this should fix a lot of the issues with trying to add pictures.

If a picture is missing, it will be replaced with the picture (illustration) from the Model Info pages if available.

The Registry now uses the each users ID number instead of name for internal identification, so if you change you user name now, it will not cause any more problems with the registry.

Mal is going to help with fixing some of the missing and errant model numbers on some of the older Registry entries. With this in place, the Model Name will be automatically filled from the Model Info pages for consistency. So this should help to really clean up the look of the registry, and make it easier to read through.

Thanks,

Posted on: 2010/10/10 5:47
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Wonderful work, Kev!

With so many entries, it was taking too long, with my dial-up connection, for the single, all-encompassing, Owner Registry page to load. Yet, even when connected via WiFi, I found myself drumming my fingers. The Registry homepage now loads quickly, and the additional navigation, like the Model Info pages, is easy.

Yet, I'm not quite sure what to make of this change that substitutes the Model Info image when no pic is submitted - seems a bit confusing to me. Perhaps some other universal "No Image" icon is needed - like a camera icon overlaid with a circle/slash. I'm curious as to what others may think.

All things considered, this remodel is a big step forward for an important feature. Some clubs that collect such info never seem to make it widely available for the benefit of their members at-large, which makes you wonder (suspiciously) what they're doing with all that data. Here, our Registry is accessible to all viewers, as well as registered members. Yet, members control just how much personal information they provide.

If nothing else, our Registry helps people connect with other owners of same models. One member thought that important enough to ask that others add car info to their sig line, including links to their Registry entries, and I've since seen plenty of people do just that.

However, I don't understand the fuss being made over Mal's stewardship of the feature. Without it, the Registry wouldn't be nearly as big as it is now.

As a Forum Ambassador, Mal's "Welcome" posts to new members, which also promote the Registry, certainly fit the bill. Now, I'm no Emily Post, but Mal's follow-up with "Thanks" to those who did add their car to the Registry only makes sense. I like that a lot better than an insincere, automated birthday message that appears on some sites only because I entered my DOB at the time of registration.

Still, if others have some problem with how the Registry is being promoted, let's hear about it, with some constructive criticism, so we can adapt accordingly, but continue the momentum.

Posted on: 2010/10/10 9:47
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Very nice. Like the sorting options although one by names would still be nice to see what kind of car a poster is talking about when asking a question--but think you mentioned not possible with your current engine.

The larger pictures are also nice although some seem to have a fair amount of artifact or image loss when blown up. An interesting thing on 56th series is the 5th entry I see has a picture of a Golden Hawk listed as a Caribbean. Is this an anomaly or did the owner post a wrong picture.

Posted on: 2010/10/10 10:04
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Tom Wolt
See User information
I can't make any changes, because I'm not the owner? As far as I know, I am still the man who owns one!

Tom

Posted on: 2010/10/10 11:13
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
There was a small bug with users editing there own entires that I found. It has now been fixed.

Posted on: 2010/10/10 18:44
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
HH56 wrote:.......An interesting thing on 56th series is the 5th entry I see has a picture of a Golden Hawk listed as a Caribbean. Is this an anomaly or did the owner post a wrong picture.
Howard,

I think this is explained by the default in the Model Number drop down list being "5699 - Caribbean Convertible Coupe" with none of the drop down options being for a Golden Hawk!

Looks like a job for Kev!

I've already started work on fixing some entries thanks to a PM that Brian, BH, sent me back in March covering the 55, 56, 57 and 58 years and touching on 54! They have all been done, but there are many more to go.

And in that regard I need some help. What I'm looking and asking for are people to review the 54 and prior years with a view to identifying Model numbers where there isn't one, or where they are obviously mis-indentified. Sometimes the information provided in an entry is insufficient to make a proper identification and, in those circumstances, any entries where the Model number is unable to be clearly established won't be corrected. They'll be left as historical anomalies or for such time as they can be properly identified.
Any volunteers?

Familiarity or expertise with a particular year or years would be an advantage but don't let that deter anyone, all contributions are welcome. And, if you do review a year or years, could you post the year/years reviewed in this thread so we're not all covering the same ground. The results of the reviews can be PM'd to me and I'll act on them when received. A similar group approach worked very well a while back when the Photo Archive was reviewed and that had many thousands of photos, in the Registry there only hundreds!

Posted on: 2010/10/10 22:29
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Have reviewed and updated the Pre-War years in the Registry. There are some which haven't been updated yet because of clarifications I'm waiting on from the owners together with some unusual Henney and other coachbuilt cars which aren't a part of the Model Info pages.

Note - Kev's advice of "Mal is going to help with fixing some of the missing and errant model numbers on some of the older Registry entries. With this in place, the Model Name will be automatically filled from the Model Info pages for consistency" requires some explanation. Newer entries, where Model Numbers are linked by drop down list to the Body Number in the Model Info pages already have the Body Number as the Model Number. So I have been reviewing the older entries where these fields were originally free form text. Most were straight forward so instead of something like "1501" it's now "1016" for a Club Sedan, or "1100" it's now "703" for an Eight Sedan, etc, etc. Others required some investigation and most I think are right.

But I invite everyone to review their entries to see and check the changes.

Posted on: 2010/10/12 5:58
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 12 13 14 (15) 16 17 18 ... 108 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved