Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
208 user(s) are online (134 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 207

Don Shields, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Bottom Bottom   Previous Topic Previous Topic   Next Topic Next Topic   Register To PostTopic is Locked

« 1 ... 13 14 15 (16) 17 18 19 ... 170 »

Re: Wade's Workshop
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Mal, could you tell us more about the modern spin on oil filter? It looks like there is a housing attached to the frame. Is this a remotely located full flow type filter? I enjoy spending time with you and Wade in the workshop. Also, the photos of the museum tour looks like you are having comfortable winter weather. Must be something like Southern California. Thanks - John

Posted on: 2009/7/7 11:49
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)

Home away from home
Home away from home

Terry Cantelo
See User information
G'day Mal,
The 34 is coming along fine. What type of grey has she been painted in? i.e. actual colour name not cellulose or two pack.
A friend of mine likes it and would like to paint his Buick the same colour.
Thanks
Terry

Posted on: 2009/7/7 12:37

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Yes, I'm also interested in a description of the gray color, I had asked that back in post 147 but hadn't seen an answer yet.

Posted on: 2009/7/7 14:53

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
JW wrote: Mal, could you tell us more about the modern spin on oil filter? It looks like there is a housing attached to the frame. Is this a remotely located full flow type filter? ........

Quote:
traumjaegercat wrote: G'day Mal, The 34 is coming along fine. What type of grey has she been painted in? i.e. actual colour name......A friend of mine likes it and would like to paint his Buick the same colour.....

Quote:
Owen_Dyneto wrote: Looks magnificent. Excluding the Dietrich colors, I believe there were 5 gray colors in 1934, is this a match or close match for one of them? The original colors were Silver Fox Gray, Sea Shell Gray (only as a stripe color), Storm Cloud Gray, Roanoke Gray Light, and Mt. Vernon Gray. I've not seen any 1934 chip which might help me distinguish one from the other.

Quote:
Owen_Dyneto wrote: Yes, I'm also interested in a description of the gray color, I had asked that back in post 147 but hadn't seen an answer yet.

Wednesday 8th July 2009

Gentlemen, gentlemen, gentlemen, questions, questions, questions! If I knew the answers I'd respond. John I hope Wade reads this tonight and can shed some light on the oil filter question. Although I dropped in briefly at the workshop today I couldn't recall what your question was so couldn't ask Wade, old-timers disease is a curse! Regarding the body colour Terry and Dave, all I know at the moment is that Wade copied the colour scheme he's going to use from a '34 he's seen in a picture. I did ask him to forward me a copy of the pic and when he does so, I'll post it. Wade are you reading this? If that's not a good enough reminder I don't know what is.

But back to the workshop, although I'd intended to spend the afternoon there after seeing the granddaughters in the morning, other matters raised their ugly heads preventing me from doing so. Did drop in to return some documents to Wade before I lost them in my filing system(based on the classical biblical system - "seek and yea shall find"). He told me he spent time today fixing the accelerator/carby linkage on Old Blue putting in new pins because of all the slack in the old ones. He also did some work on Big Red installing the inner rear axle seals and both bearings on one of the rear axles.

And speaking of filing systems, I'd bought a new Overdrive knob from Jerry at Yesterdaysradio back in April last year. But could I find it to install on the '41 when the time came? Of course not. Looked high and low as did Wade in case he'd taken it home with some radio buttons but all to no avail. But did find it today! And of course I found it less than a week after I ordered, paid for and a replacement was shipped by Jerry! Now have a "spare" which I will cherish. The saving grace here is that I also ordered a new wiper knob for the '41 as well as the '39 horn button that Harvey wanted for Vince's 110 Coupe and that Vince is picking up the shipping charge in total so the 2 knobs ride along for free. And I really needed the new wiper knob, the ravages of sun and time having greatly affected the original knob.

Attach file:

jpg  (18.12 KB)
226_4a5450635b96e.jpg 512X384 px

jpg  (22.85 KB)
226_4a5450743dd62.jpg 512X384 px

jpg  (25.18 KB)
226_4a5450b055b09.jpg 512X384 px

jpg  (9.76 KB)
226_4a5450bce9db9.jpg 300X400 px

jpg  (17.37 KB)
226_4a5450ceed8e3.jpg 512X384 px

Posted on: 2009/7/8 2:57
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Thursday 9th July 2009

Before leaving for the workshop this morning received an email from Barry Smith, the guy who imported the '51 Convertible at the same time my '41 arrived in Oz. In it he advised he's bought a '38 V12 Club Sedan and it's on it's way to Australia now. In case anybody's wondering I have been on Barry's back about getting his Packards into the Owner Registry because he is a PackardInfo member. And yes they should be there soon so my "harassment" will pay off. Also before leaving this morning I'd phoned the chrome plater who did my bumper and other parts last year. This because the chrome on the decorative front bumper centre piece has rust spots coming through! Was advised to bring it over and they'd fix it. Seems like a good attitude to have in such a business and I'll find out tomorrow when I take it over to them.

Anyway arriving at the workshop found Wade about to solder up some wires in Old Blues windscreen wiper motor. Dave(O_D) you'd better avert your eyes now rather than read on! Old Blue has been in Wades possession for almost 20 years and had been restored many years before that but not "correctly" in some areas. One of those areas being an VW electric wiper motor. It gave up the ghost recently and Wade found that the soldered connections in the armature had all melted. But not to worry, Wade was able to resolder the connections, clean the motor, lube it, re-assemble it and re-install it in Old Blue. All this being necessary because it's Wade and Gina's wedding anniversary tomorrow and they are going away to Canberra over the weekend. Gina being most insistent that the anniversary be properly celebrated this year because for the past 10 years Packard activities had taken precedence!

That done, moved on to Big Red. Installed the left rear axle and brake. Took a looooong time to do this because of the checking and adjusting for the shimming process for the rear axle play to be acceptable. Also made up rear axle brake backing plate and oil seal retainer gaskets, 6 in all, 3 on each side. Almost like an assembly line process with WFI(Wade Fabrication Industries) and MBM(Made By Mal) working in tandem, marking, cutting the shape and punching the holes required. And of course there was some clean-up of POR-15 overpaint required as well as trimming the brake shoe end of the new handbrake cables because they were just a fraction too long. Well, to cut a long story short, the new axle bearings were packed with grease, gaskets made, gaskets cemented and fitted to the backing plate, seal retainer and oil catcher, all bolted to the axle housing and tightened up, hand brake cable fitted, wheel cylinder fitted, brake shoes, springs and shoe locators installed, brake drum and axle key fitted and axle washer and nut installed but not fully tightened. Sorry to gloss over the process but my one typing finger is getting tired. But that was enough for the day.

All that remained, after David from Penrite arrived and delivered the oil and grease that Wade had ordered yesterday was a bit of chit chat. And John, it is a remotely mounted full flow oil filter off a V8 Holden(Chev SB 5.7litre). And Dave, you can look again now, Wade promised to send me the pic of the '34 he saw and that he is copying the colour scheme of. Don't know what the actual colours are Dave, and Terry, because they were basically matched to the colours on the pic. But when Wade picks up the body he's getting all the details then as to names,and formulations of colours, etc. And earlier this evening I received from Wade the long awaited copy of the '34 pic in question, see attached.

So Happy Anniversary Wade and Gina, have a great weekend of celebration.

Attach file:

jpg  (71.38 KB)
226_4a55a83a32d63.jpg 800X439 px

jpg  (21.26 KB)
226_4a55abd5a47af.jpg 512X384 px

jpg  (19.80 KB)
226_4a55abe58122c.jpg 512X384 px

jpg  (19.54 KB)
226_4a55abf55be1a.jpg 512X384 px

jpg  (26.79 KB)
226_4a55ac33b7c34.jpg 512X384 px

jpg  (16.99 KB)
226_4a55ac52785eb.jpg 512X384 px

jpg  (19.92 KB)
226_4a55ac664f467.jpg 512X384 px

jpg  (25.23 KB)
226_4a55ac98dad5b.jpg 512X384 px

jpg  (17.03 KB)
226_4a55acb00f4cc.jpg 512X384 px

jpg  (17.08 KB)
226_4a55b497e22ed.jpg 512X384 px

jpg  (15.57 KB)
226_4a55b4b1e4df5.jpg 300X400 px

jpg  (13.16 KB)
226_4a55b4c898a14.jpg 300X400 px

jpg  (18.69 KB)
226_4a55b4ea588f7.jpg 512X384 px

jpg  (23.41 KB)
226_4a55b50860cbd.jpg 512X384 px

jpg  (22.87 KB)
226_4a55b51539a21.jpg 512X384 px

jpg  (58.16 KB)
226_4a55b52a19ed7.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2009/7/9 4:21
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidM
See User information
Mal, Rust on new chrome is bad , looks like they skipped the copper coat. If you are looking for an electroplater, I have had very good results from Astor Plating at Villawood, for many years. (hope they didn't do yours!)
David

Posted on: 2009/7/9 5:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Mal, thanks for the answer on the oil filter question. Now, do you or Wade have any information on how the oil filter was plumbed to the engine? Any help here is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Posted on: 2009/7/9 9:23
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
DavidM wrote: Mal, Rust on new chrome is bad , looks like they skipped the copper coat......David

Quote:
JW wrote:.....do you or Wade have any information on how the oil filter was plumbed to the engine?.....

David,

Yes, it is BAD, but the rest of it looks good so I'm hopeful that it's only this one piece.

John,

Because Wade and Old Blue are away until next week I'll report back what I find out after their return.

Posted on: 2009/7/9 15:40
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Whatever those grays are on the 34 sedan, they are certainly very attractive and period colors, I like them! the darkest of the 34 Packard grays was Mr. Vernon Gray, followed closely by Storm Cloud Gray which had a bit more yellow in it; next was Roanoke Gray and the lightest (least black pigment) was Silver Fox Gray.

Posted on: 2009/7/9 16:10

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Friday 10th July 2009

David,

Took the rusty bumper centre piece to the plating shop this morning. Peter there was at a loss to explain why this happened only to that piece while the other parts done at the same time all appear OK. Anyway, he said it'd take about two weeks to re-do it and they'll take it right back and do it completely again. Maybe it did skip the copper coat as you suggested. Whatever the cause, I'll be keeping a close eye on the rest of the re-chromed parts, being all the bumper and over-rider pieces and the tail light bezels.

Posted on: 2009/7/10 1:10
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

« 1 ... 13 14 15 (16) 17 18 19 ... 170 »

Register To PostTopic is Locked

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved