Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
74 user(s) are online (52 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 74

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 »

Re: Starter drag?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
2 pumps listed 48-50 and small 51 chassis but don't know differences. Different pumps used 51-4. I know one was a dual chamber vacuum setup for the senior cars, other was single chamber.

Posted on: 2011/1/19 22:49
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
I know this sounds bad, but i can't read what the parts manual is telling me. I'm always confused trying to figure out part differences.

I THINK pages 215/216 of the link below is saying that all 23rd-26th use an AC pump of one or another part number, or at least the same screws for the same AC pump for those series.

Maybe i'll call kanter tomorrow and see if they know of any difference between a 1950 288 standard eight fuel pump and a 1953 (i think patrician) 327 fuel pump.

I KNOW the old pump worked on the 288. This pump came bolted to the 327 but i never heard it run or know for sure that it's correct or will work on it.

https://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/partslist4854/48-54_Group_9.pdf

Posted on: 2011/1/19 22:49
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
Ok couldn't get a link but if you go to max merrit and just search for group number 9.200, the 288 pump i have is the one shown for 48 to 50, the first option of four in the list:

http://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb.dll?userwatch~dynamicSearchPage~cadeffdD

The 327 pump i have is the second/third option (they're the same pic and part number) It has the plate style arm instead of the first style or last style.

That pump shows as for 51-52 all models, and 53-54 all except clipper.

The last model is a pump i don't have, it has a little cup that goes around the cam. it shows for 53-54 clipper models.

I wouldn't think that a clipper could be had with a 327 9 main in 53? I would have to think that the middle pump would be the correct one for a 53 327. Which would suck because "wrong pump" would be a great solution.

Posted on: 2011/1/19 22:59
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
Quote:

HH56 wrote:
2 pumps listed 48-50 and small 51 chassis but don't know differences. Different pumps used 51-4. I know one was a dual chamber vacuum setup for the senior cars, other was single chamber.

9 main 327 would be a senior motor or no? I really don't have a lot to go off of for the history of this motor now, the previous owner (dan yocum) passed and most of the info i got second hand from bigkev and dan's family who really wasn't into cars at all.

Posted on: 2011/1/19 23:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
Motor number is L605910, which chart here shows as 9 main 327 with hydr. lifters, 1953, all senior models.

Both pumps are AC, can't really find an legible part numbers anywhere on the old one.

The 53 pump shows 9920 on the flange, which is what MM shows for 53-54 all models except clipper, which should be this motor.

I'm hoping it's a case of the wrong pump, but it would seem this one is correct for this motor.

Posted on: 2011/1/19 23:19
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
From a vintage AC catalog, perhaps this will help.

Attach file:

jpg  (151.07 KB)
177_4d383c2467c18.jpg 734X1600 px

jpg  (203.70 KB)
177_4d3844194940c.jpg 1500X1123 px

Posted on: 2011/1/20 8:44
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
To Cortcomp: Everyone needs a wife like that!!

As someone just stated, the FP lobe is integral with the cam and a few positions back from the front, not bolted on the front like a v8. I've never seen a deteriorated fuel pump lobe on a cam but that doesn;t mean it's impossible

NOTE: All Packard motors 6/120/356/288/327/359 whether single action or double action can take any of those fuel pumps and they will pump. The geometry of the arms
is identical

Posted on: 2011/1/20 11:53
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I'm really thinking you have a partially broken main spring in the pump, and as such the pump arm is already to far downward for the cam to do any real work on it.

Take the pump apart and check.

Posted on: 2011/1/20 11:57
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Quote:

cortcomp wrote:
Motor number is L605910, which chart here shows as 9 main 327 with hydr. lifters, 1953, all senior models...

Only the '53 Patrician had the 327 cu. in. 9 main bearing engine. Congratulations if you have one of the engines in your Clipper.

(o{I}o)

Posted on: 2011/1/20 12:27
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
I did get out my trusty starter button that i completely forgot i had and was able to bump it over and check it with a straw moving in and out, and then, ever so gently and carefully, with my finger while i bumped it lightly (coil and ignition wires disconnected!)

The lobe is definitely there, it can mvoe the straw about 1/3 or 3/4" to a fukll inch. I couldnt verify how muich because i was late for work.

Fred confirmed what i suspected, that the arm geometry and bolts patterns should be the same, that part numbers differences were for conenction port style and single/double acting.

I'm thinking i may have 2 bad pumps, or at least wore to the point where they're done now and were on the edge of failure, even if they both did last work on their respective engines. Have to go sometime right? I have a rebuild kit for the original one, i'lls tart there as kevin suggests, checking it inside.

Posted on: 2011/1/20 13:23
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved