Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
214 user(s) are online (132 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 214

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 »

Re: What do I Have ?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Phil Randolph
See User information
I could send a picture of the VIN stamped on the frame rail of my 38 Jr coupe but it wouldn't be factory - I stamped the number in myself. You can just barely make out the number on the decal.

Posted on: 2011/7/29 12:38
1938 1601 Club Coupe
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dale Rhinehart
See User information
Greetings again I spent the day working to clear a path to the 38 and after messing around for 3 hrs got her to fire up. I am having a problem with getting the car in gear. While it is running, and it purrs like a kitten, I am unable to get it into gear with the clutch in, it just grinds when I try to put it in any gear. If I shut her off and push the clutch in and put it in first or second with the clutch in and try to start her she moves,even whit the clutch in!! Is there a way to grease the throw out bearing to help this problem? The mans wife said that once and a while it would do the same thing for him and it would correct itself what ever that means? I would like to drive it out of the barn and not have to try to pull it with a tractor.

Posted on: 2011/7/29 23:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Phil Randolph
See User information
It's not uncommon for the clutch disk to stick to the flywheel on a car that's been sitting for a very long time. Sometimes you can break it loose by putting the car in gear (clutch pushed in) and then start the car. I broke one loose by using a putty knife twixt the disk and the flywheel. You could also just start it up in 1st gear and drive it out. My clutch rod broke once and I limped the car home by starting it in gear ( I used 3rd). It was a pain at stop signs though.

Posted on: 2011/7/30 5:46
1938 1601 Club Coupe
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
Sometimes it works to start the car in neutral, warm it up, depress the clutch all the way and rev up the engine rapidly. Tehn the pressure plate is not pressing on the disc and it breaks free. Try it a number of times. Good luck.

Starting it in gear and driving it out is an accident waiting to happen. You could try that outside on an empty street but not recomended in a barn.

Posted on: 2011/7/30 7:08
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
Phils38cpe wrote:.....My clutch rod broke once and I limped the car home by starting it in gear ( I used 3rd). It was a pain at stop signs though.
Phil,

Same thing happened to my '38 a few years back. Was able to limp home in gear and was lucky I could take a route avoiding stop signs and traffic lights.

Posted on: 2011/7/30 9:14
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

FPTGearhead
See User information
Hi from another owner of a 1938 1601 4-door sedan Packard. I hope you enjoy your Junior Packard as much as I do mine. The tranny is rock solid and the straight 8 purrs like a kitten. Parts are easy to find for most items, tricky for a few. Mechanicals are easy to fix and good reference books are a must. Rubber parts can be located through Steele and many resto parts through the big Packard vendors.
My '38 is Packard Blue. I get more comments from this car than my '40 Chevy hot rod or my Corvette roadster. Can't wait to see what your car looks like. By the way model 1601 has a rubber matt in the front and regular steering wheel, not a banjo style wheel. The 1601-D (the deluxe model) had carpet in the front, banjo wheel, side mount tires and I believe trim rings too. My car is the standard 1601.
Good luck with your find. This site is great help. Keep in touch.

Posted on: 2011/7/31 19:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dale Rhinehart
See User information
Greetings again gang, I just checked the rear end, and it is a little low, and the shop manual which was in the trunk, what luck, says to use some special fluid that only is sold by Packard, What do I do for rear end fluid!! I tested the antifreeze and she was good to 30 below, I lucked out again.

Posted on: 2011/8/1 20:43
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
GL-5 85W-140 gear oil will work perfectly. Hypoid type differentials were not used in all vehicles at that time. Mechanics were not always aware, when servicing vehicles equipped with this type of differential, as to the special gear oil required. Owner and service manuals cautioned owners about using using the correct gear oil. The modern GL-5 is an appropriate gear oil to use. Do not use anything else in the differential. The transmission can use GL-1 gear oil, but the GL-5 oil is appropriate for this too.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2011/8/1 21:44
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dale Rhinehart
See User information
Sir I have 90 wt gear oil is the the same as you have advised if not where can I get G5 the type you stated. thanks Dale

Posted on: 2011/8/1 21:53
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
johnlaw, GL-5 is the type of gear oil. It comes in 90W, 140W and 85W-140 multiple viscosity weight. The 90W oil you have will work if it is the GL-5 type. I recommend the 85W-140 multiple viscosity weight GL-5 when it comes time to change the oil.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2011/8/1 22:00
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved