Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
198 user(s) are online (133 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 195

CarFreak, DM37, Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 »

Re: air conditioning in 1953
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Congratulations on your new purchase and thanks for the links. Hadn't ran across those before. The package shelf showing the plastic ducts is the first photo I can remember seeing of the actual items. Several had mentioned them but they do not show in the parts catalog as ever being used on the factory unit.

I think the two biggest problems you will run into with adding modern air is the compressor bracket and the crankshaft drive pulley. The other obstacle will be the 6v which has been somewhat lessened.

Recent reports have the 12v Sanden working on 6v so compressor clutch doesn't seem to be as much an issue now as the evaporator blower motor. A couple of suggestions were given earlier in this thread on a possible workaround for that and perhaps Classic or Vintage will have some suggestions as well.

Unless miracles strike twice and you find the extra grooved pulley already on your car like the originator of this thread did or find one from a parts car, that will be another issue. As far as I know, there is no aftermarket or reproduction AC pulleys made for 51-4. There was a poster who said a specific Ford vibration damper and it's companion pulleys would work but I do not know this for fact or if anyone else has tried using it.

Here is another photo of the original bracket. Large, complex and not too available so believe you will wind up making your own. Several photos on site of various mounts & methods chosen by posters. Unfortunately, not in any particular place so will require some searching.

Attach file:

jpg  (80.42 KB)
209_4e57c1c2209ec.jpg 1200X800 px

Posted on: 2011/8/26 10:59
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gary
See User information
Thanks for the warm welcome! I am looking forward to taking possesion of the car and hope to get some photos posted when she gets "home". I tried my hardest to post the photos of the ducts and the compressor with bracket but couldn't figure out a way to do it. I just thought it was a rare find to see the original Packard AC system still in service on that Patrician but definitely would not attempt to reproduce it on the Clipper. Interestingly, the article states that the engine in the Patrician has a factory installed cast aluminum head. Thanks again!

Posted on: 2011/8/26 12:58
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
I have the damper and pulley off the 53 nine main 327 i put in my 50 (had to use the 50 balancer, etc.)

I thought it was for power steering, is this what someone needs for AC?

Posted on: 2011/8/26 13:51
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If the car having the AC added does not already have power steering, then the PS pulley setup could be made to work. If car has power steering, then AC drive would have to be shared with fan or PS or else have another groove on the pulley.

Factory AC pulleys were dual belt so had 2 smaller diameter grooves for AC outward of the PS and fan grooves. I don't have a good picture of the pulley but perhaps Walkerman or someone with air might post a picture of theirs.

Unlike 55-6 setups because of the different hub shape, I do not believe a second PS pulley can be added to the vibration damper assy on a 51-4.

Posted on: 2011/8/26 14:13
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

walkerman
See User information
I will take a picture of mine and post it. I talked to
teck dept at Senden and he said that it takes 7.5 volts to ingage clutch and he thought with 6 volts you might get slippage and he would change it to 12 volt.

Posted on: 2011/8/26 20:35
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
Gator wrote:Hello all, new member and soon to be Packard owner here. The car is a '53 Clipper Deluxe 2 door.....I am also very interested in adding AC to this superb automobile......
G'day Gator,
, to have you aboard PackardInfo, being a soon to be Packard owner.

Would be even er if you could include your about to be ed '53 Clipper Deluxe 2 Door in the Packard Owner's Registry!

Is that or what?

Posted on: 2011/8/26 23:14
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
What voltage is everyone ACTUALLY running while the car is started? I took my generator and regulator to a professional rebuild shop and they rebuilt the generator for me and adjusted the regulator to put out 7.2 volts while running.

Is everyone else in that neighborhood? I would think you would want to slightly over-charge, like 14.5v in a 12v system. If so, you'd be damn close to 7.5v anyway, or you could adjust your regulator to run there.

Posted on: 2011/8/27 7:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Adjusted for 7.2 volts fine.

Take the car for a hard run on a hot day, let it set an idle for 10 minutes or some slow running to simulate pulling off of the highway into slow city traffic. Pull on the lites, turn on the AC, radio and other accesories to see what kind of voltage there is under normal to normal-high demand while everything is at warm/hot operating temperature and while idleing.!!

I'll guess at about 6.2 volts MAX is what u will find.

OR, how new is your battery???? Maybe try it with a battery that is 60% + thru it's service life.

Posted on: 2011/8/27 8:52
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

walkerman wrote:
I will take a picture of mine and post it. I talked to
teck dept at Senden and he said that it takes 7.5 volts to ingage clutch and he thought with 6 volts you might get slippage and he would change it to 12 volt.

Thanks for offering to post a picture of the pulley. Am sure it will be of interest to many.

As to the Sanden, I don't have a good answer. Your Sanden rep does not recommend it yet we have a recent recommendation and an apparent Sanden blessing from another individual who has been running it without difficulty. Also a report of another car also running one long term.

Unless you just want the 12v, I would be tempted to try it--although the evaporator blower would still be an issue needing a solution. If it didn't work satisfactorily then the change over could still be made. Cost wise if it didn't work, I think the worst you would be out would be the evaporator blower solution.

Posted on: 2011/8/27 9:22
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

walkerman
See User information
Pictures

Attach file:

jpg  (75.46 KB)
1913_4e598c7326f3e.jpg 800X600 px

jpg  (79.96 KB)
1913_4e598c9a903e1.jpg 900X675 px

jpg  (98.56 KB)
1913_4e598cbf933cf.jpg 800X600 px

jpg  (127.81 KB)
1913_4e598d3ab0b0f.jpg 816X612 px

Posted on: 2011/8/27 19:33
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved