Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
252 user(s) are online (144 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 251

37Blanche, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 8 9 10 »

Re: temperature problem?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Hill
See User information
davegnh - It wasn't too hard. You need to remove the hood, so that requires some help. I put 3 large blankets on the roof, and I have a Fulton visor, so the blankets covered that and I let the front portion of the hood hang over it. If you're removing the rad by your self, you will need to put some blocks under it to support it as you remove the bolts. A swivel joint or universal on the end of an extension is required to get at the top bolts. Also you will need to remove the drain petcock. I put a allen key style plug in it to stop dribbles and allow it to clear the lower pan. Also loosen the fan belt as the lower connection will not pass the fan blade without it turning, or remove the fan first. Remove the lower hose assembly completely. I don't think I've missed anything. As far as weight I estimate around 30 pounds. Hope this helps you.

Posted on: 2013/6/25 12:01
If it won't move, get a bigger wrench.
If it breaks, it needed fixing anyway.

Mark

1949 Deluxe
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve
See User information
Hi DeluxCanuck,
I just looked at NAPA and searched for an mechanical heat sending unit for the radiator hose?? Can you tell me more about it and where you are going to get it? Thanks.
Steve....

Edit: Napa didn't show anything matching my description.

Posted on: 2013/6/26 12:40
Steve
Old cars are my passion

1951 Packard 200
1953 Packard Clipper Custom Touring Sedan
1955 Dodge Custom Royal Lancer Tri-tone
1966 Rambler Classic 770 Convertible
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Hill
See User information
packardguy53 - You won't likely find what I have at a store. I made my adapter. I had a piece of tubing that fit inside the rad hose, drilled a hole in it for the probe of the gauge, and welded a pipe coupling over the hole. I inserted the gauge pretty snugly to get a position of the face of the gauge, so that when I welding it to the tube, the gauge would end up in a position that I would be able to see the face of it when I open the hood. I plan on taking the car for a drive with the gauge installed and want to be able to stop and open the hood to check the gauge and compare to the one in the car. Below is a couple of pictures of what I made. I will post more when I get the car back together and the gauge installed.

Attach file:

jpg  (131.53 KB)
4917_51cc345d19b7b.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (134.49 KB)
4917_51cc3495532f2.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (76.35 KB)
4917_51cc34c31bffb.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2013/6/27 7:49

Mark

1949 Deluxe
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I think making one looks like it will be the option for the Packard hose. Many commercial adapters like the one shown are available for modern cars with a smaller hose.

Jegs, Summit, most racing stores have them up to 38 mm (1 1/2"). For the Packard it would need to be 1 3/4 or 44-45mm. Haven't seen any that large listed at the likely places.

Might be possible to plumb something for use in a heater hose. There are some 5/8" hose adapters available for various sensors.

Posted on: 2013/6/27 8:30
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Hill
See User information
Here's the set up. It was reading 80 degrees when I started the car in the garage. I let it run with the rad cap off as I wanted to check flow when the thermostat opened. Movement of the coolant is much better compared to before the rad cleaning. Capped the rad and let it run for about 10 minutes. I'm not able to go for a drive, as the weather is not co-operating. At 160 degrees the needle in the gauge in the car was about over top of the ? way dot. When I shut it off when the mechanical gauge read 178 degrees and the needle was about a needles width past the dot. Now to wait for nicer weather, get the hood on and go for a drive.

EDIT: Got to go for a drive. About 1/2 hour each way. Stopped on the way out, temp gauge needle was about a needled width past the 1/2 way dot and mechanical gauge showed 178. Drove to the turn around point and stopped again around the same place on the way out. Needle was about 3/4 the way to the "H" and mechanical showed about 182. Got home, and turned my attention to a squeak coming from under the car. I'm up and down the street a couple of times. Turned the car off, put some grease in the rear "U" joint to see if that was it. Checked mechanical and it was at 200, needle almost at the "H". Started car and within about 5 seconds, temp was down to 190. All seems to be good now. The grease didn't fix the squeak. But that's another thread.

Attach file:

jpg  (112.72 KB)
4917_51cc80840e9a4.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (95.63 KB)
4917_51cc80b34af1a.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (76.15 KB)
4917_51cc80ffa60be.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (56.64 KB)
4917_51cc8126f2695.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2013/6/27 13:15

Mark

1949 Deluxe
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
Here is something similar made for a Model A Ford. Costs about $19.http://macsautoparts.com/model-a-ford-temperature-probe-pipe-stainless-steel-a8272pss/camid/MDA/cp/JS0R3CHL1137082/

If anyone is interested, I'll go measure my neighbor's Model A. His car has one of these so that he could put a modern style under the dash temperature gauge on it instead of trying to see the gauge on the radiator cap.

Posted on: 2013/7/3 18:35
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
David,

Diameter of the pipe would be good.

Posted on: 2013/7/3 19:01
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
Good Morning all...

I was just reading in another section of Packard Info and came across a Packard Service Bulletin dated July 30, 1951 in which Packard is informing their service folks that they now have a larger fan. Our 49's have four blade 18" fans and apparently the 51's have the same fan. They are offering a 19 7/8" fan and they further state that if a technician is changing a radiator core, that they recommend the addition of the larger fan. The part number referenced is 433779. How about that? Ernie

Posted on: 2013/7/4 14:16
Caretaker of the 1949-288 Deluxe Touring Sedan
'Miss Prudence' and the 1931 Model A Ford Tudor 'Miss Princess'
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The story as I read it some years ago was the 52 cars had less effective radiators due to Korean war restrictions on copper, so Packard supplied a larger volume fan for those cars. I don't know if the same holds true for 1953 but the answer is probably in the parts books.

Posted on: 2013/7/4 15:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Hill
See User information
It's been a while since I've posted in this thread and thought an update was in order. I'm still battling the heat issue and have done a few things since last post. I have done as some suggested, an old school cleaning - kerosene and washing(not baking)soda in the cooling system, in appropriate measures. This has helped clean some crud out, as it's a gray/ brown color when I drain the system. I am still in the process of washing out residue by filling with straight water, driving the car and draining. Going to do that until it's as clear as I can get it when I drain. Then a 50/50 mix of anti-freeze will go in. I have also put in a 142 thermostat for kicks. Now on to what I believe is likely the root cause of my problem. I decided to go through the engine timing again after doing a tune-up when I got it. I knew something was likely afoot when I did it, but was happy to have it running better than it was when I got it, and wanted to get out and drive my new toy and show it off.(Silly kid) As it turned out, the engine was running on base timing and mechanical advance. I found that the vacuum advance pot was not working at all. I since have installed a new pot, and have only been able to have it out for a short run, on a day that was not very warm. But the temp gauge stayed around the 1/2 way mark. Hope to be able to get it out this week for at least an hours drive (one way) to a cruise night and see how things are. I believe that I was not getting enough advance in the timing, therefore the fuel was still burning as the pistons were well on their way to the bottom of the stroke. I will be back with the results of my adventure.

Posted on: 2014/6/29 23:52

Mark

1949 Deluxe
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 8 9 10 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved