Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
69 user(s) are online (57 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 67

Don Shields, HH56, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7) 8 »

Re: 1956 Build Slip Codes
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Owen -

I can't recall the earliest instance mentioned; except for my own cars, I've only heard occasionally from other owners - mostly for V8s.

If winter ever takes its leave, I'll get pix of whatever I find when I check my own cars. The radio is out of one of the Pats.

IIRC, the copy of the manifest for my Carib shows the axle ratio in the string of codes.

Posted on: 2009/2/18 15:07
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Didn't some of the cars have the build slip rolled up and tucked between the gas filler and vent tube? I though I remember someone taking about that previously.

Posted on: 2009/2/18 16:20
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I remember that comment and I suprised me a bit as I've never seen one there, though I have seen inspector's correction slips there.

Posted on: 2009/2/18 16:22
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
My '50 Custom (factory re-numbered '49) had both build slips. The one taped to the top of the glove box and the one stuck between the gas filler and vent tube. Both slips were produced by a Teletype machine. Both slips are now carefully preserved in a plastic sleeve.

Posted on: 2009/2/18 22:50
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I've never found one on the gas tank but did find one on a 54 Pacific on top of the steel glove drawer cover. Removed the dash and it was way up toward the dash face. Don't think you'd have felt it just by reaching up. None ever found on a V8 glovebox that I recall.

Posted on: 2009/2/18 23:06
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Howard, that is very interesting. So it was near the dash cluster? or was it on the bottom side of the top-most part of the dash? Perhaps you can draw us a picture where to look as I didnt find anything in or on the actual glove box drawer itself.

Posted on: 2009/2/19 0:15
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
I have found the production slips for a number of 1948-50 cars in both locations - taped to the top of the glovebox as well as folded and tucked between the gas tank filler neck and vent tube. I also found one at the filler tube location on a 1947 Clipper that I used to own.

Posted on: 2009/2/19 1:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

chad hoover
See User information
ok guys, where exactly do i find the build slip codes at on this site? and where would lone look in the car for a build sheet? i have never found one.

Posted on: 2009/3/13 20:44
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Here's the codes for 56.https://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/56th_Series_RPO_Codes.pdf

As to where they're found, there have been lots of suggestions ranging from under the back seat, & near fuel filler vent pipe by gas tank, & to on top of the cardboard glove box under radio. I've looked at lots of cars & never found a V8 code sheet but others have.

Posted on: 2009/3/13 20:53
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
The term "build sheet" is applied to a variety of paperwork that might be found in/on any car, but - more properly - it is a form that lists the optional equipment that was installed in the vehicle during assembly.

Since we began discussing this topic online, we've had reports of water leak test reports and other inspection and routing forms found in various locations. However, the one form that was taped to the top of the glovebox was merely a strip of paper that contained a series of codes - often referred to as a "build strip" or "build slip". Yet, be careful in your search; after 50+ years, any original factory paperwork left in a vehicle is bound to be awfully frgaile.

The same string of build codes also appears on the various factory production and distribution forms. That string always starts off with the model code, followed by the paint code(s), a four-digit code that becomes part of the serial number, and the interior trim set number. A rear axle ratio may appear, next, if available and selected for the vehicle. The rest of codes are for regular production optional equipment, which can be decoded using the tables I prepared exclusively for this site. Paint and trim codes can be found in the front matter of the parts book.

One option code that I did not include, because it is not listed in any of the few Trade Letters that I have, but I have seen it in the build code string for at leats one particular example from '56 was "PERMA F" - permanent type anti-freeze.

I will revisit and revise these chart as additonal Trade Letters become available to me to support actual production use of additional options. If similar letters become available for earlier Series, I'd be willing to try and compose charts for them, as well.

Posted on: 2009/3/14 15:17
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7) 8 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved