Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
90 user(s) are online (56 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 89

Dbedsole, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7) 8 9 10 ... 12 »

Re: GM 4L60E Transmission Adapted for 1955 Packard 400
Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
What he meant to say was "how do i get three of these?"

Posted on: 2011/10/5 9:25
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

smith
See User information
I'm inclined to agree with you that I need three of these. I am on my third ultramatic in 850 miles since engine was overhauled, engine bay and underside completely done. The last one I bought "completely rebuilt by transmission shop" is now burnt. 325 miles.

Posted on: 2011/10/6 6:45
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Doesn't say much for the competency of the rebuilders.

Posted on: 2011/10/6 8:16
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Sounds like the rebuilder(s) didn't go far enough in their work or didn't understand what they were working on and just threw in whatever parts that came in whatever kit they got.

The Ultramatic isn't built the same way as any other transmission, and the service manual doesn't cover everything.

I wouldn't sublet the job to anyone other than someone who has a lot of experience (and positive references) with rebuilding this specific transmission.

Posted on: 2011/10/6 8:25
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
My 400 was rebuilt in 91 and had to replace the rear pump in '92 because of a defect. I have driven it over 25,000 miles since then and have no fear of taking it on a long trip.
The rebuilders who failed were obviously incompetent as regards Ultramatics.

Posted on: 2011/10/6 13:49
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

smith
See User information
I agree with all comments!
The closest trans shop so far willing to do one of these Ultramatics is in Chicago.....550 miles. Is it really worth it? I am under the impression I would rather have a modern trans with an overdrive for a service standpoint.
I offered an engine & trans to Bendsten Trans. Adapters in an effort to get this going, but Bob has already got one.
I am not inclined to go with Sierra Grove Packards kit, due to comments & facts of the 727.
Kevin's 4L60 really looked like a nice setup.
I may have to wait this out unfortunately. I already had the car scheulded to have it painted and interior done............not before I have the problems resolved.

Posted on: 2011/10/6 19:09
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Has anyone besides Kevin talked to Art Butler on requirements, anticipated cost, if he is going to do them all or has plans for kits?

Posted on: 2011/10/6 20:55
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
I had the Twin Ultramatic in my '55 Clipper replaced with a manual shift 3-speed because there was no one within a short driving distance who knew how to work on the automatic. If I had a Ross Miller in the area I would have considered keeping the TU. Something else to consider.

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2011/10/6 22:32
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
don't trust my TU rebuilding skills eh?....don't blame you there JW. LOL

Hank

Posted on: 2011/10/7 2:32
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Hank, I think you will do a fine job rebuilding your transmission. You are careful and cautious in you work. Even so, you are too far away. I would have been needing someone closer. I was thinking about the cost of flat-bedding the car to have it repaired should (or when) the transmission failed. The manual shift conversion is working for me, but I understand it is not the solution for everyone. Good luck on your project. We have not heard about it for some time and look forward to your posts. By the way I have some good news to report on the Clipper and will post it on my blog.

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2011/10/7 10:30
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7) 8 9 10 ... 12 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved