Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
239 user(s) are online (118 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 239

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: oil bath air cleaner element 327 - 2bbl
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Truly the cat's pajamas.

Posted on: 2012/5/24 20:45
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Looks wonderful!! Didn't hudson do something like that?

Posted on: 2012/5/24 23:15
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Didn't hudson do something like that?

Yes, on the Twin-H powered models. Got a photo somewhere, I'll look for it.

Posted on: 2012/5/25 8:10
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

54clipper
See User information
Thanks for the compliments - credit should go to my friend Lee - who ame up with the design and lettered it. I just asked him to put "Packard Thunderbolt 327" - he made it look like something from the era...

I guess if someone wanted they could send an air cleaner or something else to Lee and he'd do his magic. If someone is really interested PM me and I'll give you his contact info.

It would be interesting to see if it is similar to a Hudson air cleaner graphic. Lee didn't have a reference - just went with something that looked appropriate.

Posted on: 2012/5/25 8:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Photo Source: collectorcarmarket.com

Attach file:

jpg  (177.49 KB)
188_4fbf92929e733.jpg 1064X1173 px

Posted on: 2012/5/25 9:08
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

54clipper
See User information
Thanks for posting te Hudson Pic. Now that I see it the picture I realize I have seen it before - maybe that was subconsciously my inspiration. The yellow graphic on the red air cleaner looks great. On the Packard air cleaner Lee went with mostly white and silver over the black.

Posted on: 2012/5/25 9:14
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
A bit off-topic but still a topic we've discussed before with much agony. Take a look at that photo and see where Hudson put the Trico wiper cables and tensioners! Sure makes servicing them a dream compared to most (all?) other makes that put them under the dash.

Photo brings back memories of my own 54 Hornet Special which I drag-raced very successfully for a few years back in the 60s. Stock 308 c.i. with Twin-H and the 7X 311040 hot factory cam and a B&M locked Hydramatic.

Posted on: 2012/5/25 9:24
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
And with direct connections and none of trying to figure out the grooved pulley wrap, it would be highly unlikely for anyone to cross or screw the cables up. Wonder what the advantage was to that pulley setup vs having a direct connection like this under the dash. Service or wrench access maybe??

Posted on: 2012/5/25 9:32
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fred Puhn
See User information
I used to have a 52 Hudson. The wiper cables were very accessible under the hood but they got a crusty mixture of oil and dust on them. Maybe that's why some engineer wanted them in the clean environment under the dash.

Posted on: 2012/5/25 9:50
Fred Puhn
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

su8overdrive
See User information
Dr. Dyneto -- My old mechanic, now retired, a legend amongst NorCal old car folk, especially Hudsonites, had several Hornets, one with a stroked, 7X engine, finessed HydraMatic as he specialized in transmissions, rebuilt Ultramatics CORRECTLY with all the subtle improvements including one for me. He ran a motor pool in the Pacific during War II, then worked at Packard and Hudson garages, taking over a Hudson service dept. when Hudson folded.

I never cared for the claustrophobic feeling in a stepdown Hudson. The dash is so deep you feel like you're looking through a periscope. But i didn't care for a friend's '42 Darrin victoria i drove for a couple days, putting 60-70 miles on it, either; felt buried in the thing, and i'm tall.
Tho' i've no interest in any domestic cars after War II, my '47 Super Clipper being a warmed over '42 One-Sixty Clipper, i thought the '51 Packard i owned decades ago had the best ergonomics of any '50s American car, tho' i can't recall the slightly downsized 1953-54 Chrysler New Yorkers, which, for me, are the best blend of engineering and pre-chrome baroque style in that decade.

Hudson had an ad showing a Hornet at 60mph having the steering wheel spun hard right. The car merely heeled over slightly and turned. Any other car would've flipped over. Which is why Hornets dominated early '50s NASCAR, as you well know.

The only post '47 Packard i care for would be a '51 or '52 Mayfair coupe with stick and od. We like what we like, but i can appreciate anything through others' eyes, including the ridiculous 1936-37 Cords several of my friends drive.

Hudson Hornets had good build quality, easily as good as Packards of the early '50s, from what i saw.

PS. '54Clipper, pardon us momentarily diverging from your thread. I've been using an off the counter Wicks #87055 paper filter element in my '47 356's oilbath air cleaner for years. Fits like a glove. No cutting, trimming. Article in current Hemmings Classic Car suggests paper filters more efficient, slightly, than oil bath, but i'll leave it to others to split hairs.

Posted on: 2012/5/25 15:14
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved