Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
83 user(s) are online (53 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 83

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Thinking of going with the 2, 6 volt Optimas in Series...advice ?
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I have a 1951 TO20 Ferguson tractor. It's 6v. IT cranks rather slow compared to modern 12v chevy's and fords etc. But it ALWAYS starts and rather quickly even after setting for maybe a month. It'll start that way at 10 below zero F or at 105 F, hot or cold engine. AND YES, all 3 lites work, and it has a horn.

So the 'slow cranking' is just not an issue. I can say the same about other 6v systems i've had over the years. 1945 Jeep MB among other 6v jeeeps, one 65 VW, various other type vehicles. All i ever ran was the 6v battery from local auto parts chain. Nothing expensive or fancy.

Yes, they cranked slow too compared to modern vehicles but so-what???? They START good and run. That's all i need.

BTW, i've ran the TO20 at least 2 hours every month of the year, every year for over 18 years here in TN. with wide temperature and weather variations. Sometimes as much 24 hours a month.

Posted on: 2012/6/1 14:24
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

su8overdrive
See User information
The above gents, as usual, are right as rain. I've been using an Optima in my '47 Super since the mid '90s and it's never let me down. Holds a charge like no one's business,
tho' i trickle charge it with a 1940 Montgomery-Ward six-volt battery charger at the low (one or two amp) setting
every four or five weeks simply because i'm too tight to buy a battery tender, and 2, the closer you keep any battery to 100% full charge, the longer it'll last. I'll
charge it on the low setting for a few hours even tho' it's
only "fallen" to 6.36.5 volts from the fully charged 6.4+
after sitting for nearly a month, and i've got eight (8) years on it now, a year longer than Optima's already long seven-year warranty, the first two years 100% pro-rated. What's not to like?

Optimas have a little less reserve capacity than big, heavy wet batteries, yet still put out 800/850 cold cranking amps, but that's the only way that remotely pale.
Optimas are more reliable in the bargain, and their reserve capacity still gives you a coupla hours to make it back to
civilization.

Six-volt Optimas only weigh 18 or so lbs., and weight's the enemy in any serious road car, especially in the front end of our already nose-heavy locomotives.

I went to an over-the-road Diesel truck (Kenworth, Peterbilt) supply house, picked up some 00 cable, had the battery and ground terminals both crimped and soldered on.

If you have a battery disconnect switch, make sure it's rated for more amps than your starter draws.

BTW, i know of fellows in the Sun Belt using a lone six-volt Optima to start their Cadillac V-16 and Packard Twelve,
so, as t'others mention above, all the double battery and
other jazz is for the birds, as with 12-volt conversions, 6-8 volt, all that crap. I realize some folks put in 12-volt conversions so they can have CD players and all that
nonsense. But that negates the charm of a vintage car,
doesn't it?

I enjoy my Packard to escape all that malarkey.

If our cars didn't start easily on the showroom floor or
the dealer's lot back in the day, they'd never have sold.

Posted on: 2012/6/1 16:58
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
One problem with those cars is the original ground cable. The front of the motor is a long way from the starter and it causes resistance as the motor ages. Run the proper sized ground cable to the start bolt. The flat head Cadillacs are notorious for this kind of problem.

Posted on: 2012/6/1 17:03
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Quote:

joeyearl wrote:
I have the 7248 with 00 cables and no problems whatsoever on my Su8. In retrospect, I should have bought the 7205. Exact fit, but lower CCA, and my top hold down would fit with no mods.

Joey, you're the second or third guy that has mentioned that the hold-down doesn't fit the NAPA 7248. This has me puzzled because I have the 7248 in my '50 and another brand of the 3EH format in the '49. The hold-down fits without a problem. When you have a chance, could you measure the width of your 7248 and the inside width of your hold-down? I'm just real curious now. Looking at the parts book, they should all be the same unless you're driving a hearse or an ambulance. I'll pull the hold down and measure mine after dinner.

Edit: I'm assuming the problem is with the width (narrow dimension).

Posted on: 2012/6/1 18:36
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
My car would start after a few rotations using a generic 6v battery from Autozone. I think it only had 450 cca, but larger diameter cables. The only thing that keeps it from firing faster is the gas to the carb. I crank until the fuel finally fills the fuel filter I have up front. I rebuilt the fuel pump hoping that will help. I don't think battery is your issue. I also have a rebuilt starter (rebuilt many years ago). I think that is probably your problem.

Posted on: 2012/6/1 19:06
[url=h
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

packard1949
See User information
Battery disconnect switches are a real problem in my opinion-I have had 2 very different switches and both caused problems. They both oxidized and became big resistors in the circuit. The last was a knife switch variety which I thought to be the best/simple design. Anyway if you are having problems try without the disconnect switch. By the way I am back to pulling a lead off the battery.

Posted on: 2012/6/1 19:09
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I can't say I've ever heard of a problem with the big heavy duty Cole-Hersee rotary switches. I think they are rated at about 600 amps or so. The one in my 6-volt car has been there for more than 30 years, never a problem. The "green knob" battery terminal types are just junk - no better than marginally adequate for 12-volt, totally inadequate for 6-volt.

Posted on: 2012/6/1 19:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joseph Earl
See User information
Quote:

JD in KC wrote:

Joey, you're the second or third guy that has mentioned that the hold-down doesn't fit the NAPA 7248. This has me puzzled because I have the 7248 in my '50 and another brand of the 3EH format in the '49. The hold-down fits without a problem. When you have a chance, could you measure the width of your 7248 and the inside width of your hold-down? I'm just real curious now. Looking at the parts book, they should all be the same unless you're driving a hearse or an ambulance. I'll pull the hold down and measure mine after dinner.

Edit: I'm assuming the problem is with the width (narrow dimension).

JD, width is the problem. The battery is 1/4" wider on the top where the hold down slips over the battery. I could take my small grinder with a rolok disc and remove 1/8" from the sides of each end. It only hits where the stamped ends are- the two strips that attach the ends fit.

Tomorrow, (Saturday), when I'm at my shop I'll measure it and take a photo.

Posted on: 2012/6/2 0:52
Joey

(?=#=?)

"If chrome got me home, I'd for sure still be stuck somewhere."

[url=http://pac
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Stivers
See User information
Thanks again for all the info.....it not only helps me, but others who are on the fence and haven't asked yet. This forum has more knowledge amongst all of you that it inspires me to learn as much as I can so I may pass it on........

Thank you......

And.....I'm still working my start issues.....LOL

HotRod

Posted on: 2012/6/2 6:14
It is what it is....
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Quote:

joeyearl wrote:

JD, width is the problem. The battery is 1/4" wider on the top where the hold down slips over the battery. I could take my small grinder with a rolok disc and remove 1/8" from the sides of each end. It only hits where the stamped ends are- the two strips that attach the ends fit.

Tomorrow, (Saturday), when I'm at my shop I'll measure it and take a photo.

The width of my 7248 is 4 3/16-1/4 give or take. The width of the hold-down is a little over 4 1/4. Here's a photo of the NAPA 7248 in my '50 with what I assume to be the standard Packard hold-down. It fits very nicely.

Yeah, yeah, I know... the negative cable needs to be replaced with a heavier gauge. I replaced the ground cable and the negative cable is on my short to-do list. The engine turns over and starts easily with it as is.

Attach file:

jpg  (48.05 KB)
188_4fcc1f66158cf.jpg 648X432 px

Posted on: 2012/6/3 21:38
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved