Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
197 user(s) are online (124 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 197

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: Posible vapor lock solution?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
PackardV8 Quote:
TRy driving with hood removed. If it solves the problem then think about obtaining a second hood and modified with louvers or hood scoops.

Heck, just leave the hood off if that fixes it. Besides, how "cool" would that be?

Craig

Posted on: 2012/6/30 23:32
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Robert Freeman
See User information
Quote:

Craig wrote:
PackardV8 Quote:
TRy driving with hood removed. If it solves the problem then think about obtaining a second hood and modified with louvers or hood scoops.

Heck, just leave the hood off if that fixes it. Besides, how "cool" would that be?

Craig

Wow - where would I mount the hood ornament, maybe I could just mount it on the cowl? I could also use the hood as a sled when it finally snows here again, eh?

Posted on: 2012/7/1 0:25
Bob

IF EVERYTHING IS COMING YOUR WAY ...
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
YOU'RE IN THE WRONG LANE!

'56 Executive Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Duane Gunn
See User information
My 55 Clipper was vapor locking. After trying various things, I finally found that my gas line, by the rear tire where it crosses through the frame, had a pin hole in it. So my mechanical fuel pump on the engine was sucking air and the electric fuel pump near the gas tank was pushing gas out the pin hole. After replacing just a short line I have not had vapor lock since and I am still driving in Phoenix when it's 110F, of course not every day just on the weekend to a car show and it cools off to 100F for the ride home at 8pm. Keep on checking the fuel lines, you may have to get under it and look for somewhere wet.
Good luck.

Posted on: 2012/7/1 7:08
1955 Clipper Custom
1940 160 Touring Sedan
1953 Patrician
1948 Super 8 Limo
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Wow! All these cars having problems.

If there is a car having this problem that also has an electric pump, then how about bypassing the mechanical pump and running the motor via the electric pump?

Way back when I dealt with a high mileage 56 Exec that was having this problem and because it was just an old car we bypassed the fuel pump and ran it on electric. It was a cheap repair that satisfied the owner who just used it as a second car.

However, the root cause is still important. I am sure that these old blocks just don't run as cool as new which creates problems. The prewar cars have bigger radiators and so overheating can be reduced to a manageable level. But I had similar problems with a modern car that was high mileage and always running hot.

For somebody out there interested in an experiment, take a heat gun (or powerful hair drier) and aim it at the fuel line, carburetor, and fuel pump with the motor running. If it stalls then you have isolated a problem area. (I suppose a propane torch would also work! but only on the fuel line)

The insulation block idea is also valid as it concurs with the Packard company service letters which state that vapor locking results in the low pressure carburetor circuits.

Of course stuck heat risers will create big problems in hot weather as well.

I assume in each of these cases valid ignition has already been confirmed. Given today's cell phone infested highways, stalling is a huge safety problem.

Posted on: 2012/7/1 7:33
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Robert Freeman
See User information
I've since replaced an electric fuel pump on my '50 as well as replaced about 10' of metal fuel line with rubber line. There was a small leak in the metal line located just below and about in the middle of the drivers door. The electric pump is frame mounted and puts out 8 - 12 psi. I think that it is too much and have purchased an in-line fuel pressure regulator. What is the proper psi setting for my 288 ci engine? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Posted on: 2012/7/20 21:50
Bob

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
An electric pump that puts out 8-12 psi is a poor choice, especially as many pressure regulators have been reported to have poor reliability. You want a pressure of 3.5 to 4.5 psi, even 5 psi is probably OK.

Replacing undercar gas line with rubber isn't good practice. First, it's far more vulnerable to damage, perhaps leaking, from road debris, than steel. Secondly and probably a minor consideration, the rubber is actually an insulator and inhibits heat transfer from the fuel to the surrounding air flow.

Posted on: 2012/7/20 22:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Robert Freeman
See User information
Quote:

Owen_Dyneto wrote:
An electric pump that puts out 8-12 psi is a poor choice, especially as many pressure regulators have been reported to have poor reliability. You want a pressure of 3.5 to 4.5 psi, even 5 psi is probably OK.

Replacing undercar gas line with rubber isn't good practice. First, it's far more vulnerable to damage, perhaps leaking, from road debris, than steel. Secondly and probably a minor consideration, the rubber is actually an insulator and inhibits heat transfer from the fuel to the surrounding air flow.

The rubber fuel line is a temporary fix until I can muster-up the bucks for fuel injection line. I was limited to the choice of 6v fuel pumps as this was the only one that I could easily find. Thanks for the proper pressure limit.

Posted on: 2012/7/21 3:45
Bob

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Forget all that, just get yourself the cheap and simple solution shown below!

Attach file:

jpg  (54.93 KB)
226_500a798fde9f1.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2012/7/21 4:43
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Details of the anti-vapor lock device. Best results are obtained when you use them in multiples of a dozen and arrange them in a spiral to get the full cyclonic windmill effect.

Attach file:

jpg  (38.78 KB)
177_500a9f39edcec.jpg 1280X289 px

Posted on: 2012/7/21 7:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Dear happ:

I know that method has been around for a long time, but why it shows up on older vehicles is a technical question.

Anyway, that gas line is too close to the manifold.

If I had a case like that I would carefully heat the gas line with a torch to see if the car stalls, then do the same with the clothes pins attached. Maybe those manifolds are eroding and transferring too much heat into the motor compartment. Given Packard's propensity for heat shield they apparently were able to produce such problems at the proving grounds.

Posted on: 2012/7/21 9:05
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved