Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
211 user(s) are online (118 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 209

Bingo, humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Is this color correct?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Graber
See User information
Also, PackardO, as to the dash and trim, I'm not an expert on the 120's, but I would expect the steering wheel, knobs, and dash trim, etc. to be an ivory color like the window handle knob. Appears like these have been repaired and painted in lieu of replacement. Also, the blue color behind the instruments looks a bit strange to me, and I would question whether this is correct. Perhaps a 120 expert could weigh in on this.

I still think this looks like a very nice car and perhaps some of the above will provide some valuable bargaining points.

All the best,
Mark

Posted on: 2012/8/15 20:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dell
See User information
Mark; 41-42 convertibles are correct with colored plastic for the dash and knobs,also open cars have body color on the dash. yesterdays radio remakes all the colors. i did notice the color difference on the photo that shows the top of cowl and body in front window. i think it is a nice car, but has a lot of things that are not correct and need to be repaired which makes the price some what high .

Posted on: 2012/8/15 21:28

35-1200 touring sedan
42-110 convertible coupe
48-2293 station sedan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

RogerDetroit
See User information
The body color is incorrect and the instrument panel is also incorrect.

As someone mentioned only Packard Blue is non-metallic - true. All the other blues, Barola, Crescent, Algiers and Legion have a metallic/opalescent/luminescent base. That alone makes it incorrect. I have seen Barola and it is much darker than in the car presented.

Because the ad included a factory drawing I would guess they were trying for Algiers Blue and missed. It is much lighter and more subtle than what they did.

The instrument panel MUST be woodgrained. Check out the Data Book for 1941. Look at pages 25, 26, and 28. There are multiple citations where Packard describes the 110 woodgraining as Cuban mahogany and the 120 has burled walnut. Nowhere does it exclude open cars. I would rather rely on the voice of Packard in the Data Book over the seller or amateur restorer. Page 28 even has a nice photo of a woodgrained panel with the caption, "The striking new instrument panel of the Packard One-Twenty combines burled walnut graining with the chrome and plastic.

Steering wheel color needs to match the dash plastic. On page 30 of the Data Book there is a photo and two citations that the steering wheel is, "...finished in tones to match the plastic trim of the instrument panel." In other words, if the dash plastic is blue, then the steering wheel should be blue.

Personally, I prefer to rely on Packard's own voice as spoken in the Data Book to that of the seller or someone guessing.

Posted on: 2012/8/15 22:31
-

1941 Model 160 Convertible Sedan
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Graber
See User information
Thanks Roger, I'd like to have a 120 someday and your info is appreciated.
Mark

Posted on: 2012/8/16 0:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Quote:

Owen_Dyneto wrote:
I think I have the answer to the Crescent Blue. Trade Letter TL-3047 explains why Crescent Blue isn't listed in the January 20, 1941 master information on the 1941 cars. According to this trade letter paint code Z and some others were discontinued about a month earlier. There are 3 additional pages to the Trade Letter...
...So if the car is Crescent Blue, that pretty much dates it as being manufactured before December 1940.

Sure enough, found this in the Databook:
{page 231} "All paint schemes are standard with the exceptions of H-Q-Z-Y and T which are announcement colors and will be available for a limited time only."

Quote:

Roger_Detroit wrote:
...The instrument panel MUST be woodgrained. Check out the Data Book for 1941. Look at pages 25, 26, and 28. There are multiple citations where Packard describes the 110 woodgraining as Cuban mahogany and the 120 has burled walnut. Nowhere does it exclude open cars...

I think the confusion over painted vs woodgrained instrument panel for the 1941 model year may stem from the fact that Packard offered a "Multi-Tone" option for the 160 line that did include a painted instrument panel. So... folks have seen correct examples of 1941 (160) cars with instrument panels painted to match the upholstery and made an incorrect assumption that it also applied to 110's, 120's, and 180's.

{Databook page 48} "In Multi-tone models the instrument panel is painted to match the lighter color of the upholstery material and plastics match the deeper tones."

I was hoping there was a similar option for the 180's but unfortunately there wasn't so I can't get away with just painting my totally fried instrument panel and plastics.

Posted on: 2012/8/16 8:39
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Granted the dash is in poor shape, but that color looks like Crescent blue to me. Just because it doesn't look like it ran into a barrel of lathe waste doesn't mean it doesn't have the additive. I worked on a 41 180 with a blue like that and was original.

Posted on: 2012/8/16 8:51
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Nice sleuthing, JD

Posted on: 2012/8/16 9:37
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
I wouldn't rely too heavily on the data book. For one it refers to the cars as 1940 models in places.

The parts book lists at least a dozen bodies with lacquered dashboards. For example, DE1900 which is a 19th series six Deluxe.

Posted on: 2012/8/16 14:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

RogerDetroit
See User information
There are an equal number of parts numbers for either grained or lacquered instrument panels. And half of those part numbers for RHD cars.

Your comment still fits with what the Data Book says. Take a look at page 48 and page 181 "Chart of Interior Upholstery and Trim Selections." An instrument panel CAN be lacquered, but apparently only with a multi-tone interior.
Page 44 outlines what is contained in the Multi-Tone option and lists three sets of color combinations: (1) blue & gray, (2) brown and tan and (3) dark green & light green.

The car presented does not appear to have the multi-color interior option (IIRC standard with a DE model) and definately NOT two-tone as it is a convertible.

So the parts book equals what is describe in the Data Book.

Posted on: 2012/8/16 16:32
-

1941 Model 160 Convertible Sedan
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
FWIW as evidence, I'm personally only familiar with two "DE" convertible coupes, both 160 models (DD1479); both have the multi-tone treatment and thus a painted dash.

Posted on: 2012/8/16 17:50
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved