Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
250 user(s) are online (159 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 248

Vaughan, Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Ultramatic trap door
Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim McDermaid
See User information
My 1954 Cavalier has a lovely carpet job by those who restored her/him about ten years ago and my question relates to a possibility trap door to allow checking the Ultramatic transmission fluid.

The front carpet doesn't appear to come out or peel back easily so I haven't messed with it. I can feel anything that would lead me to think there is a check hole or a plug or a cover.

I can't fit under and hate putting it up on jacks and nobody in Phoenix will put it on a lift unless they get to collect a service.

Maybe one of you who has seen a naked floor can tell me what to expect and about where.

My car has quite thick carpet pad and boots over the gas and brake pedal.

Jim

Posted on: 2012/10/9 19:40
 Top  Print   

Re: Ultramatic trap door
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The large access plate went away with the 51's.

For 51-54, there is no opening other than the small hole on top of tunnel directly over the breather. That can be accessed by putting the seat all the way back and then folding the carpet up from the rear. It will be about 3 inches give or take in front of the seat edge directly in the tunnel center. You should be able to feel where the padding is cut and just the carpet covers the access plate. The trans can have fluid added from there but that's about all.

The dipstick is still only reached from below. Some have tried to add an opening but the location of the dipstick in relation to the tunnel side & corner by accelerator bottom mount seems to cause issues with some attempts. The hole needs to be large enough to get your hand in a ways to maneuver and have a removable cover. Carpet pull back would still be an issue because the accelerator may have to remove to access the area unless the carpet is modified.

Posted on: 2012/10/9 20:03
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bobby
See User information
Jim, I feel your pain. It's incomprehensible to me how the best engineers in Detroit could put something so critical to transmission life and performance way up there where it is practically inaccessible.

ATF is very thin, and even if you were able to peel the carpet back or otherwise get to the dip stick thru the interior, the chances of one drop of that very thin, very red ATF never dripping on that nice, new, expensive carpets is near zero.

Invest in ramps, they're good to have anyways.

Posted on: 2012/10/9 21:25
1954 black Patrician, unrestored, mostly original, minty!!
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
It's incomprehensible to me how the best engineers in Detroit could put something so critical to transmission life and performance way up there where it is practically inaccessible.

Yes, it's inconvenient now with how many of use these cars, but remember that when these were new cars Packard called for an oil change and grease job every 1000 miles which for many drivers who drove the average of 12,000 miles a year meant that once a month it was up on a lift for service. Under those conditions the dipstick location wasn't really an issue.

Posted on: 2012/10/9 22:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Actually, I think the reason they started the remote dipstick (read underhood) was because it reduced warranty costs.

Today they have a new way to reduce warranty costs - they don't pay them.

One time I handled a brand new truck (19,000 miles) and the complaint was a driveline noise in the back. Nothing on the road test. That notwithstanding I put the thing on the lift and removed the driveshaft. One of the U-joints was never greased from the factory. So in go two U-joints. Mind you these aren't Packard U-joints. These are a royal bxtch that have to be cut out with a torch.

The amount they listed for this job was less than for a 1941 Packard and the manufacturer never paid. Then they got pissed off when I quit.

Posted on: 2012/10/9 23:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bobby
See User information
"Yes, it's inconvenient now with how many of use these cars, but remember that when these were new cars Packard called for an oil change and grease job every 1000 miles which for many drivers who drove the average of 12,000 miles a year meant that once a month it was up on a lift for service. Under those conditions the dipstick location wasn't really an issue".

Using that logic, they could have screwed the whole hood down making it impossible for anyone but the dealer to enter the engine compartment. Poor engineering...

Posted on: 2012/10/10 11:11
1954 black Patrician, unrestored, mostly original, minty!!
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Bobby, I agree with O_D on this one, and he makes a good point. Packard servicing and maintenance procedures and methods were contemporary for the times. It was just done differently in those days. Sometimes it is hard to see why things were done the way they were 50+ years ago.

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2012/10/10 11:20
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

kens53clip
See User information
I think it also helps to remember that the car was built back in the day of full-service gasoline stations. Back then service station attendants would not only pump your gas, but check your oil, your radiator fluid, any fluid reservoirs, steering brakes, etc., hoses, belts, and clean your windows, all as part of routine service at the gasoline fill up. Maybe there are still some full-service gasoline stations left, but I do not know of any near me. The Service Station back then would put your car on a lift to change your oil and grease your grease fittings, so while under there, it wasn't that difficult to check the transmission fluid too. (How many grease fittings does your modern car have? Mine has none. )
Ken

Posted on: 2012/10/10 12:28
Ken
53 Clipper Deluxe 4 Dr.

Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Don Shields
See User information
I've heard that many '51 through '54 Packards were "modified" like my '54 Convertible is (see attached photos.) This was on the car when I bought it seven years ago. The floor was rather crudely cut out, but it works. There is even enough room to use a funnel to add fluid. Something like this may be hiding under your carpet.

The floor carpeting is a kit I bought from Kanter. The carpeting over the upper part of the hump was left open on the left side. It just slips under the carpet edging that runs just beside the gas pedal area. This makes it easy to access the trap door. Hopefully, your carpeting is similarly constructed.

Now if only there was an easy way to access the non-Easamatic brake master cylinder...

Attach file:

jpg  (75.65 KB)
1814_50760aa7bca21.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (126.11 KB)
1814_50760acf7fff3.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (76.06 KB)
1814_50760b0a9b71c.jpg 960X1280 px

Posted on: 2012/10/10 19:09
Don Shields
1933 Eight Model 1002 Seven Passenger Sedan
1954 Convertible
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
That is one of the more functional opening attempts I have seen -- particularly the hinged cover. Think most can get a general idea of the location and carpet mods but any dimensions you can share & changes you would make for those that might be interested in trying it for themselves?

Posted on: 2012/10/10 19:33
Howard
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved