Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
218 user(s) are online (147 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 216

DJP-37-120, Aiden, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7) 8 9 10 ... 20 »

Re: GearRat's '52
Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Cuellar
See User information
Hey Guys!

Wasn't able to get the clutch done in time for Halloween. I ran myself ragged on Monday or Tuesday, and decided to not hurry through the job to meet a deadline. So far the transmission, drive shaft, lower bell-housing, and linkage is all connected. I tried to get the "clutch pedal free play" set, and this is what happened... (See pic below)

Oh, and add to that the thermostat housing I repaired separated. So it looks like I will be ordering a cast brass housing from...http://www.packards-today.com/catalog.php?CID=7 Has anyone ordered from this site before? Is it safe to do business with this company?

If anyone has a spare rod for the clutch, I'm interested. If not, looks like there is a trip to the machine shop in my future. Days like today stink! But that is just how it is sometimes with old cars, right?

-Garrett

Attach file:

jpg  (7.79 KB)
3628_509454abc0a39.jpg 600X322 px

Posted on: 2012/11/2 18:21
Garrett

1952 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan

" If you don't go when you want to go, when you do go, you'll find you've gone"- Burt Munro
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tobs
See User information
I got my thermostadt housing from them, and they were great. The were able to quickly send it to a friend in Michigan so he could bring it to germany on the plane. I can reccommend them.
-Tobs

Posted on: 2012/11/3 5:57
1953 Clipper Delux Club Sedan, 1969 912, 1990 Miata, 2009 Ford S-Max.
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
I plan on buying one soon myself and I have no reserve buying from them.

Posted on: 2012/11/3 11:40
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Cuellar
See User information
Hey Guys!

Here's the video... The noise occurs at 2:19. I cringe at the sound of clashing gears when we leave and pull into the driveway. What makes it so difficult is the shift linkage seems to bind. When I took it through the gears on the cement slab it was fine. When I let my Mom and brother try, you couldn't get it into a gear. The column shift lever would jam, what could be causing that?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Br3u2O1RK-U" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Posted on: 2012/11/26 23:31
Garrett

" If you don't go when you want to go, when you do go, you'll find you've gone"- Burt Munro
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Garrett,

Some thoughts.

The noise occurs at 2:19 - From what I can hear of it, it probably is a chipped or broken gear tooth. My only other experience of that type was riding in a '19 Twin Six which had a broken tooth and it sounded much the same.

What makes it so difficult is the shift linkage seems to bind. When I took it through the gears on the cement slab it was fine - On the slab and stationary there would be little stress on the linkage from engine torque and none from the road through the diff. Maybe that's why it worked in that environment?

When I let my Mom and brother try, you couldn't get it into a gear. The column shift lever would jam, what could be causing that? If jamming, it's probably trying to engage two gears at once like in my '41. Mine is because all the pivots and pivot points are seriously worn. These will be addressed but until then I shift with extreme care and very slowly. There's a procedure in my manual for adjusting the linkages and following that can improve things but not cure it, so it's probably similar for yours. And, there is no synchromesh on first gear. If your Packard is moving, to downshift to first silently you need to double clutch, but that takes some practice to master.

My for what it's worth:

Posted on: 2012/11/27 1:56
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Cuellar
See User information
Thanks Mal!

I watched some Youtube videos on double clutching. Looks like it will definitely take some practice. Going to have to get good at judging the rpm by ear. Double clutching will be the only way to go in my car, so hopefully I'm a quick learner.

-Garrett

Posted on: 2012/11/27 2:25
Garrett

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
The problem with worn gear shift linkages is that it is very easy to attempt to select one gear whilst still partially engaged with another, as one tends to slide from one platform to another without properly taking the first gear to Neutral. If the linkage is worn, use a deliberate motion to place into neutral getting out of the current gear, test the neutral status by engaging clutch , then select the new gear with a disengaged clutch, of course. To test if you are in neutral....move the gear lever backwards/forwards between the first/reverse and Second/Third platforms. Mal can attest to the ease of jamming between gear platforms. Good luck and it is not that difficult to "take-up" wear in the linkages. I cannot see a need to double-declutch when picking up first, which IMHO is only required when stopped. If you are still moving, any Packard will pull away strongly in Second, unless of course, you have a triaxle trailer behind you with a Packard Twelve aboard. PT

Posted on: 2012/11/27 2:44
I like people, Packards and old motorbikes
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Your mother is an excellent sport. Give her my regards.

I am a good judge of that as my mother drove me in my 50 Super from Baltimore to Detroit for a PAC National Meet when I was 15.

Will PM you my phone number so we can talk through whats happening with your transmission. Sounded to me like the shift to second was actually attempting to engage reverse.

Posted on: 2012/11/27 7:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Gear Rat, you are going to get some good advice here. I don't know how good this is but... Seems there are two problems: shifting into 2nd and 2nd gear making a noise.

The shifting is probably caused by worn and/or misadjusted shifting linkage. The noise in 2nd gear is probably a broken tooth.

Did you have these problems before installing the new clutch?

I would check clutch adjustment and get the shifting linkage fixed and adjusted and go from there. A properly set-up Packard should be easy to shift and not make any transmission noise.

Sorry about your troubles.

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2012/11/27 12:25
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
First and reverse gears sound fine as you were backing up the drive and taking off. I would suggest that you take off in Second gear and take it up to approx 20 mph and decelerate to adound 10 mph. I would then suggest that you do the same for Third gear (Gently of course). This will at least prove that the cogs are ok. i would then take off in Second up to around 20 mph then try for Third, using the clutch . Good luck. PT

Posted on: 2012/11/27 16:51
I like people, Packards and old motorbikes
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7) 8 9 10 ... 20 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved