Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
217 user(s) are online (128 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 217

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

battery "cushions"
Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Graber
See User information
Attached to the fender are "L" shaped stiff rubber moldings obviously intended to cushion the battery and the fender. Chunks of this one are missing and what remains is hard and brittle.
Is anyone reproducing these? I am not seeing them in the Steele catalog. Probably relatively easy to duplicate, but I am just lazy enough to buy some reproductions if they are around.
Thanks.

Attach file:

jpg  (90.27 KB)
4217_50bc53d01109f.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2012/12/3 2:16
 Top  Print   

Re: battery "cushions"
Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
I replaced the rubber on my 22nd, 23rd series Packard with closed cell foam rubber. I had always assumed that they were there as splash guards since the area that the rubber surrounds is open to the under fender space on both my cars.

Posted on: 2012/12/3 9:08
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dell
See User information
I have replaced rubber on both my 2259 and 2293 with molded rubber from Kerr moulded rubber. It is 1/8 inch shorter on each side. It was the closest match and i checked all the supplers and looked at Hershey. Let me know if can't find e-mail address.

Posted on: 2012/12/3 10:22

35-1200 touring sedan
42-110 convertible coupe
48-2293 station sedan
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If Dell can find the number and supplier that he used it would probably be the most correct option and good to have on file. Finding the exact match seems to be a problem unless you want to buy in quantity.

McMaster has the perfect size and shape by the foot but it's orange-red in color. Metro Molded, MSC and the regular restoration suppliers don't appear to have anything. Closest I found from Steele that would work is their dense extrusion shown below. One side is 1/8" short and other is slightly curved and long. Might be able to trim the long side so it would look better but even though it's fairly well hidden the purist would know it's not quite right.

One thing interesting on your photo is your opening appears to have been closed in. I believe Packard said the opening was for cooling the battery. The entire side of battery is exposed on my 47. Think the rubber is to keep water etc from going past the battery and splashing into the engine compt. The curved shape of Steels product might actually be an advantage if your side was open.

Attach file:

jpg  (10.53 KB)
209_50bcd03c082f3.jpg 323X105 px

Posted on: 2012/12/3 11:21
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
One thing interesting on your photo is your opening appears to have been closed in. I believe Packard said the opening was for cooling the battery.

Agreed, I can't say I ever took particular note of any 41 and 42 Clipper bodies, but all the 21st-23rd series I've taken note of are open.

Posted on: 2012/12/3 12:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Graber
See User information
Thanks guys, as always great info.
Also, thanks for the tip about the opening. Looks like something from long ago. Removing it will be one of the easiest fixes yet!

All the best,
Mark

Posted on: 2012/12/3 14:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dell
See User information
My contact at rarr rubber is a sales rep. named john at karrrcaig51@gmail.com, i will look at the box they shipped the rubber in and see if i can find a number. i bough it about 4 years ago- back to you on wed. dell

Posted on: 2012/12/3 22:00

35-1200 touring sedan
42-110 convertible coupe
48-2293 station sedan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
As I recall and the parts book indicates, the upper splasher has a flat rubber attachment and a metal strap that srews to the fender. There is no separate battery shield, as the correct hold down secures the battery in place. The use of rubber apparently mitigates damage from battery fumes.

Posted on: 2012/12/3 23:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dell
See User information
suppler of rubber products Karr
Rubber Manufacturing, 133 lomita st,El Segundo CA 90245. phone i have is 310-322-1993. best way is to send a sample and they do have a catalog. good luck dell

Posted on: 2012/12/7 11:33

35-1200 touring sedan
42-110 convertible coupe
48-2293 station sedan
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Thanks for the info. Am sure some will find it handy since there doesn't appear to be many other options.

Appears the company makes many of it's own molds and then casts or produces the pieces. Just wondering how your experience was and if the product is holding up well. Maybe yours is a stock commercial item just packaged in smaller quantities??

Posted on: 2012/12/7 14:32
Howard
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved