Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
204 user(s) are online (133 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 201

DaveJr, Leeedy, JD in KC, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: 1940, 120-1801 Distribution tube?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
ALM wrote:Just bought a real nice 1801-120 touring sedan. I will have it in the registry asap with photo...Al
Al,

I'm confused, normal for me, but I worked it out! Seems you originally had a '40 1805 Club Coupe in the Registry and this has now morphed into your '40 One-Twenty 4 Dr Touring Sedan Registry entry.

Posted on: 2012/12/16 23:28
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Al
See User information
Yes.
I was trying my best, however, it didn't seem like the resistry was working very well yesterday.
When trying to add a new vehicle, I could not get by the third catagory.
It stopped and would not let me continue.
I changed the original entry.
I've sold the 120 coupe.
Thankfully,
Al Miller

Posted on: 2012/12/17 9:02
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

FPTGearhead
See User information
Regarding the water distribution tube, pay close attention to it's condition. They are brass for rust prevention but can self destruct and rot away. Be very careful pulling it out from behind the water pump. Mine came out of my 1938 Eight after many decades of hiding and was in perfect condition. Pretty good indicator of the coolant and water jacket's condition too.
Good luck.

Posted on: 2012/12/17 10:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Al
See User information
Just did that to my 49 last month. The distribution tube was in good condition as well. Unfortunately, the new water pump I put on had a leak at the bearing. It had to be replaced again. Not to mention the new thermostat that malfunctioned..Carburetor had to be done twice due to a double gasket sucking air and the hydro motor sent back with not enough pressure after the 1st rebuild.
Don't feel like pulling the radiator right now with the 40.
I'm thinking of using a flush kit off the heater hose, draining from the top of the radiator to flush it that way.
Any thoughts?

Posted on: 2012/12/17 11:40
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
ALM:

May I suggest you back flush the engine and radiator separately? It would be better to back flush the heater separately too. I think you will get a better result this way as you will not have all the debris loosened in the engine circulating through the radiator and heater core.

I would remove the radiator and heater hoses, and as you suggest, run the flushing water from the bottom tank hose connection to come out the top tank hose connection (with the radiator cap on).

The engine can be back flushed by running the flushing water in through the thermostat housing (with the thermostat removed) and having it exit at the water pump hose connection. I wrap many layers of duct tape on the end of the hose so it fits snugly into the thermostat housing.

It would be better to remove the water pump to provide a better exit for the flushed water that would not go through the pump. Also, while the pump is out you can inspect the first several inches of the distribution tube.

This would now be a good time to install new hoses and clamps, thermostat, and cap.

Good luck which ever way you decide to do the job.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2012/12/17 15:13
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Al
See User information
Thank you!
Sounds like a good plan.

Posted on: 2012/12/17 15:51
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Ronaldg
See User information
By the way any one notice that that is an early car as it has the early trunk emblem on it...What is the data plate numbers

Posted on: 2012/12/20 19:37
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Ronaldg
See User information
I thought that I was replying to this car. It has the early trunk emblem on it what are the data plate numbers?

Posted on: 2012/12/20 19:40
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
ALM, Since you have a 1940 model, Jim Hollingsworth's book about the Packards of this year is a must read. I do not know what the status of book sales is now that Jim has passed on. Maybe someone hear from his Packards of North Texas club can provide information on the availability of the book. I am fortunate to have met Jim and have a copy of the book. He will be missed.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2012/12/20 21:52
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Al
See User information
Definitely will look that book up. Surely, it will be a fine read.
Wasn't familiar with the trunk emblem being on an "early car". It is an original, replated. I will look at the data plate tomorrow and let you know. Apparently, the later cars do not have that specific emblem?
Took the 40 Packard for a ride this evening. Put all new Lester 650X16 WW tires on today. Really feels great! Alignment tomorrow. I can't wait to drive it again. It makes me feel like a kid again!
Thankfully,
Al

Posted on: 2012/12/20 23:54
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved