Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
82 user(s) are online (58 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 81

todd landis, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

56 caribbean convertible "headliner" color
Just popping in
Just popping in

noob
See User information
After many hours of looking around, and much wailing and gnashing of teeth, it is now time to humbly consult the experts. What determines the correct color for the inside of the Caribbean convertible top? Is it the paint code? Is it the interior trim code? I've seen orange (vermillion?) and a reddish pink (Scottish heather?), but it seems that few folks take photos that reveal the inside of the top. To my eyes the paint and upholstery dealer books graciously posted on this site don't provide the answer. Any guidance much appreciated.

Posted on: 2013/9/9 13:26
 Top  Print   

Re: 56 caribbean convertible "headliner" color
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
If the car is tri-color, then the inside of the top and underside of the boot should be the middle body color. I can't say with certainty what those would be for single color and two-toned Caribbean convertibles.

Posted on: 2013/9/9 14:24
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Quote:
If the car is tri-color, then the inside of the top and underside of the boot should be the middle body color.

The 55-56 parts books doesn't agree.

It shows bulk stock for (convertible) top material fabric (Gr. 31.4744) in white, but with backing in different colors that correspond to the interior trim set numbers specific to the 55-56 Caribbeans.

Since there are no application listings of bulk headlining material for 5588 or 5699 models elsewhere in the parts book, it seems to me that the colored backing of the top fabric refers to the "headliner".

Also, the folding top cover assembly (Gr. 31.0632) and subsequent details advise to specify the trim set number when ordering, and the zippers for the rear curtain (glass) are listed by trim set number (Gr. 31.0625).

However, there is no reference to trim set number for the dust boot (Gr. 31.0528).

Posted on: 2013/9/9 14:49
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day noob,
to PackardInfo, and I invite you to include your '56 Caribbean Convertible in the Packard Owner's Registry here on PackardInfo!

Posted on: 2013/9/9 15:50
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
On my friend Chris' caribbean, which was still all original when he got it, the inside of the boot was the same color as the inside of the convertible top. That color matched the trim code, NOT the center color of the exterior.
Although his paint code is MES, his trim code is 90, thus the vermilion (orange) color.

Attach file:

jpg  (231.87 KB)
23_522e37a625233.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (225.06 KB)
23_522e37cd58284.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2013/9/9 16:09
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
Randy,

Your friend Chris's car is interesting. Is it a late production car?

Posted on: 2013/9/9 18:39
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

noob
See User information
Thanks to all of you. This place is priceless!

Posted on: 2013/9/9 18:49
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Let me try again. My 56 Carib convertible, #1254, is paint MES and trim 92. It had the original top when I bought it and I still have the original boot. The underside of both were a match for Danube Blue which is both the middle body color, and the leather color on the fabric side of the seat cushions which is also the color of the larger of the two leather surfaces on the leather side of the cushions.

Posted on: 2013/9/9 19:17
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Dave and I have had this discussion before and it appears that the trim color determines the inside top color, but that being said there are Caribbeans with NO trim code stamped on the door pillar. I don't pretend to know the why of that??

Posted on: 2013/9/9 19:39
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Your friend Chris's car is interesting. Is it a late production car?
I would think it is early BUT Dave (O-D) has determined that most Caribbeans were late production.

Posted on: 2013/9/9 19:43
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved