Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
229 user(s) are online (138 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 229

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Another VIN question
Just popping in
Just popping in

BigT
See User information
I'm on the verge of buying a 48 Super Eight. The # on the cowl plate is 2272 9428. The number on the driver side motor ( I can't remember if it was on the head or the block ) was 389719327. Now I'm told that the VIN # on the title is G415571. Where is this number on the car or motor and what do its' digits mean ( if anything ) ? Thanks , BigT

Posted on: 2008/10/10 20:35
 Top  Print   

Re: Another VIN question
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
BigT wrote: I'm on the verge of buying a 48 Super Eight....... Now I'm told that the VIN # on the title is G415571. Where is this number on the car or motor and what do its' digits mean ( if anything ) ? Thanks , BigT

BigT,

The number G415571 cited on the title sounds like the "Thief Proof" number stamped into metal firewall. It is quite large so you shouldn't miss seeing it.

EDIT - Here's a link to an earlier thread which discussed these matter.

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=1252&forum=1&post_id=10053#forumpost10053

FURTHER EDIT -

PLEASE DISREGARD MY ADVICE
as Kev, Dave and Howard have pointed out the error of my ways in their posts below. In future I'll try and sit back and let the real experts provide credible answers.

Posted on: 2008/10/10 20:42
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Sounds like the car was titled using the engine number. My car was done that way also. Here is a break down of the numbers:

2272-9428 = 2272 Super Eight Touring Sedan, and that car was the 8427 one made. (Numbering started at 1001)

Your "G4" number is the engine number that represents the 1948 Super Eight 327 motor. (G400001-G432000)

The other number is probably a casting number.

Posted on: 2008/10/10 20:48
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The number G415571 cited on the title sounds like the "Thief Proof" number stamped into metal firewall. It is quite large so you shouldn't miss seeing it.

It is definately NOT a thief-proof or body serial number as the highest alpha character prefix used was a "D" in 1956. But G415571 does correspond to an engine number for a 22nd series (1948, early 1949) 2202, 2222, or 2232 chassis (Super Eight).

Posted on: 2008/10/10 20:49
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Here is a location of Packard numbers. Your G4XXXX series should be at location A on the block. I believe most Packards were registered with engine number prior to 1955.

Attach file:

jpg  (31.55 KB)
209_48f0074340c0f.jpg 328X809 px

Posted on: 2008/10/10 20:54
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

BigT
See User information
Does this G415571 correspond to a 2272 chassis. Or does this mean that this motor is not the original one ? And by the way - WOW - what a gold mine of information all you guys are !! Thanks again , BigT

Posted on: 2008/10/10 21:15
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
2272 would be a touring sedan on the 2202 super eight chassis and the G4XX engine number would be correct.

Posted on: 2008/10/10 21:21
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

packyboy
See User information
Hello

It's a history of serial numbers Packard, I can not transfer my car because the registration offices they do not recognize the serial number and because of that, I must bring the police to be able to identify the car and thereafter me a form that will give me the right to put in my name.

Posted on: 2008/10/10 21:55
I'm not perfect bilingual,but i do my best!!!!

Packard 1951 8L 327pc
Ford Customline 1953 V8 flathead 239pc
Buick Lesabre custom convertible 1970 V8 350pc
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Probably your local DMV (Department of Motor Vehicles), is looking for a modern style VIN number. Packards and other cars as old as our Packards never had them. Every manufacturer had their own unique serial numbers and numbering system.

I know here in Calif, my car is no longer in the computer system. But I have the last registration slip from 1986 showing it was last registered with the engine serial number. The door jam plate on my car is missing. In a way I am glad it is no longer in the system, as if it was I may have been liable for back registration fees. This happended to me on a '52 Chevy 5 Window pickup. I tried to register it, and there was $1,300 due in back fees. So I sold, as it was already missing all the drivetrain. This was many, many years ago before those trucks went through the roof price wise.

So anyway, when I go to offically get the Packard registered, I will have to take the car to CHP (California Highway Patrol aka State Police), to have them verify the car, and then the DMV will assign the car a DMV generated VIN number, and a DMV sticker gets put under the hood with that number on it.

If my car still had the door jam plate, then I may have been able to use that number.

When I first bought the car, I had a CHP friend of mine run all the numbers (license plate, engine number, Thieft Proof Number, and body number) through the computer to make sure it was not on any stolen vehicle lists, and the AAA was kind enought to check to the DMV records for me to show it was no longer in the computer system.

Posted on: 2008/10/10 22:11
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
That is a problem others have had also. There apparently was not much standard back then and it depended on the place the car was registered as to what number was used. With Packard out of business and lots of cars unregistered for years and out of the motor vehicle databases, it can be a real issue for re-registering the car now.

In the US most states used the motor number, but if the motor was changed, the original number is gone. The serial number was used in some places, but until 1951 when it was placed on the plate riveted to the door jamb, it was on a plate that could be unscrewed from the cowl so was not considered a permanent number and other places wouldn't allow that.

The only really permanent number is the stamped body number on dash but Packard didn't use that number outside the factory and as others have said, there are no records available today.

My own 47 is one that had to be inspected because it was out of the system. The inspector settled on the stamped dash number.

Posted on: 2008/10/10 22:19
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved