Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
155 user(s) are online (87 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 151

37Blanche, 109settle, DavidM, Paul E. Gallagher, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Low compression
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Mission creep: head removal - carbon cleaning; carbon cleaning - valve lapping/grinding; valve job - new rings; new rings - hone cylinders; hone cylinders - new rod bearings; new rod bearings - new main bearings; new main bearings - new timing chain; and so it goes. This was called an engine overhaul back in the day. Not to mention new hoses, plugs, points & condenser, and oil & air filters. Gaskets, oil, coolant, and miscellaneous parts are part of it too. Don't forget to clean the distribution tube and radiator. But, when you were through, you had an engine that would serve you well for many more years and thousands of miles. As one of our parts suppliers says: "Do it the first time, do it right."

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2014/4/30 21:46
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
Another thought;

You might try 1/2 price books, and look for old motors manuals that will cover the years your working on.

Posted on: 2014/5/1 8:34
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
IMO one of the best, if not the very best, book on both principles and general practices on engine rebuilding (as well as all other aspects of automotive repair) is Glenn's and especially one from the early 1960s or prior. It was the standard text when I took auto shop in high school; not easy to find but well worth the search.

Posted on: 2014/5/1 8:56
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Shane
See User information
How do I tell if I have 9 or 5 mains with out dropping the pan??

The motor number is G406220
The number on top is 889719327

Posted on: 2014/5/1 17:34
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
It's 5 mains.

Engine number listing

Posted on: 2014/5/1 17:41
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Shane
See User information
Thank you....

Posted on: 2014/5/1 18:42
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Joseph Fazzio
See User information
At a minimum I would take your head to an engine rebuild shop and have them plane the head. It makes it easier to get a good fitting of the head gasket.

Posted on: 2014/5/1 19:08
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

josef wrote:
At a minimum I would take your head to an engine rebuild shop and have them plane the head. It makes it easier to get a good fitting of the head gasket.

I'd do some checking before arbitrarily having the head milled. It it has already been done once or twice before another could make it thin enough the valves will hit. There are some recent threads on the forum from folks who had that issue and some ways to check the clearance.

Posted on: 2014/5/1 20:20
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Richter12x2
See User information
More importantly, you can just check it with a proven straightedge to see if it needs it. Some people mill the head everytime they rebuild an engine. I always get out the metal straightedge, a flashlight and a set of feeler gauges before just giving someone $300-400.

The fast explanation of valve clearance testing is, you get some playdough, and flatten it to about 1/4" or so on top of the piston, then bolt the head back on with a headgasket, and turn the engine over. Then take it all back apart, take out the playdough, and cut it in half across where the valve impression is - the depth of the playdough at the deepest part of the valve impression is your valve clearance.

Posted on: 2014/5/2 12:44
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
...and flatten it to about 1/4" or so on top of the piston, then bolt the head back on with a headgasket, and turn the engine over. Then take it all back apart, take out the playdough, and cut it in half across where the valve impression is - the depth of the playdough at the deepest part of the valve impression is your valve clearance..

Works for an OHV design, this is a L-head engine, is it not? Put the dough on the high (outer) edge of each valve and put the head down with a used gasket, and rotate the engine.

Posted on: 2014/5/2 13:59
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved