Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
221 user(s) are online (132 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 219

Don B, Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Safety Glass LOGO
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
After reading everything about hydrofluoric acid I think I can live without a logo on my glass. That stuff is nasty!

Well, it's not like you're going to be wallowing in gallons of the pure HF, most likely just a few grams diluted down into a paste. Just follow the directions and exercise care. There is probably also a way to get the logo by abrasive surfacing of the glass thru some sort of stencil.

Posted on: 2014/6/18 8:46
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
And as was mentioned, the hobby kits are available numerous places. Even Walmart sells them. I think the biggest problem for a DIY will be coming up with an exact copy or form of the logo for making the stencil.

Posted on: 2014/6/18 10:25
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
If you could find the logo in B&W you could use the method used by chemical machiners who make the etched door sill plates and plaques and the like. Locate an acid resistant light-sensitive coating - at one time here were many and just to name one, Kodak's KPR (Kodak Photo Resist). Apply a coating to the area of the glass, dry and expose to a strong light thru the negative, and develop the image; then use the glass etchant, and finally strip the photoresist with a chemical stripper or even a single-edge razor.

Posted on: 2014/6/18 10:36
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

1940-120
See User information
I have googled the LOF for the art work however none shown are like the ones on my glass. I know of a company than can make the masks for glass etching,because I have used them in the past to make the masks for wine glasses for my daughters weddings. It is delicate work but using sand and the mask worked exceptionally well.

Having photo artwork is key to a comparable design.

The mask I use only needed masking tape around the edges because of the size of the mask itself and needed no chemicals to remove it.

I will keep you all updated if I can get the artwork

Posted on: 2014/6/18 16:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
Hello... There really is no need to use volatile, toxic acids or chemicals on glass.

First... Today's digital scanners or even a good photocopier-or even a very good camera at precise distance can easily replicate the artwork for a logo.

Second... There are numerous ways to make a template. There are even peel-off stencil kits and numerous ways to create logos on glass or other media.

Third... Acid etching is not the only way to etch glass. For a small logo it is very, very easy to simply mask and judiciously use a bead (or sand or other media) blast over the masked spot. No dangerous chemicals or potions or acids.

Have used this method since the 1970s very successfully in art applications.

The hardest part is more likely finding the exact correct logo needed for a given application.

Posted on: 2014/6/18 19:43
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
I don't know how well it works, but there is a company Glass Etching that has a kit for $15 that seems interesting.

I'm a retired chemist who also worked in a Health & Safety department. Using reasonable measures like safety glasses, rubber type gloves and working in an area where there is some air movement (outside), I would not hesitate using the etching gel that is used in a kit like this.

Posted on: 2014/6/18 21:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packardbarry
See User information
Vintage Glass Co.
328 S. River Rd.
Toland, Ct. 06084
800-889-3826 or 860-872-0018

Posted on: 2014/6/20 8:13
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved