Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
209 user(s) are online (97 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 206

DavidM, BigKev, Ross, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1941 Packard 110 Gear Shifter Lever Broken -- HELP!
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ragtime Kid
See User information
Shifting from first into reverse, my shift lever snapped in half and I am having a heck of a time locating a replacement.

Does anyone know if the metal this arm is made of (obviously very brittle!) can be welded? If not, any ideas where I can find a shift lever to fit a '41 110? The column mechanism is unaffected, just the actual lever has snapped.

Thanks!

Posted on: 2013/9/3 20:09
 Top  Print   

Re: 1941 Packard 110 Gear Shifter Lever Broken -- HELP!
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Dear Ragtime:

If are willing to forego authenticity then any shifter up through 1954 will fit.

However, if the shifter broke because the trans locked into two gears at once then you need to review the 1-2-3 virtual gate method (available within this forum) of shifting because your trans is worn.

Posted on: 2013/9/3 20:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

RogerDetroit
See User information
Hello Ragtime:

If you are talking about the shifter levers at the base of the steering column, then you need to read this thread:
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=6106&viewmode=flat&order=ASC&type=&mode=0&start=10

Look at my comments in post #17. By the end of the four pages of postings I determined NOT to reproduce these parts as Kanter had a large quantity of NOS parts in stock that were available at about $75 each. And these were the latest version with improved alloy and not pot metal that broke or wore out fast.

Hope this helps.

Posted on: 2013/9/3 21:29
-

1941 Model 160 Convertible Sedan
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Miller
See User information
Contact Jim Noah in Tracy California.
A short time ago he had a complete 1941 steering column with the shifting lever intact.
209-835-0981.
John Miller

Posted on: 2013/9/3 21:37
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Ragtime Kid,
to PackardInfo, and I invite you to include your '41 110 in the Packard Owner's Registry here on PackardInfo!

Posted on: 2013/9/3 23:53
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dell
See User information
i have a 41 lever that is the metal one, not plastic covered that has been rechromed and has a new (yesterdays radio) knob. however it is priced at $100 plus shipping. if you are interested i will send a picture to your e-mail address. dell

Posted on: 2013/9/4 8:56

35-1200 touring sedan
42-110 convertible coupe
48-2293 station sedan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ragtime Kid
See User information
Thank you all for your kind replies! I feel lucky to be part of such a supportive group.

I managed to find the part through Max Merritt and, yes, as Tim points out it did break due to getting locked into two gears at the same time and I had to get towed away.

This car has an issue with the transmission jumping out of gear (first and second) anytime I am going downhill so it seems there is wear somewhere in the gear box (synchros?).

Which specific tranny parts, gears, linkages would you guys recommend replacing? I am going to have a local shop rebuild the transmission but would like to give them some guidance since I don't expect they see cars this old very often.

Thank you again!

Posted on: 2013/9/6 23:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
If the box is otherwise not too noisy , and the synchros synch in normal shifting, then the problem is likely that the bearings on the mainshaft have lost their preload. Those bearings (and gears) are retained on the shaft with a rolled-on ring at the forward end of the mainshaft . With time and abuse that ring works forward, the bearings loose their preload, the gears wobble on the shaft, and the trans jumps out of gear.I have had good luck re-staking that ring in place on the shaft with a whopping big center punch and reestablishing the preload. Total cost of parts: $0.00

While the top is off, make certain the interlock block that is screwed into the top cover has not come loose.

Posted on: 2013/9/7 8:34
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

John O'Hara
See User information
I'm interested in this if still available

Posted on: 2014/7/1 13:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
The balls and detents of the gear selectors inside the upper cover of the trans should also be checked as they groove over the years and do not hold position ss well as they should. I have fitted stronger springs on occasion and this does help. There is also provision to fit a second spring and ball if you are keen enough. PT

Posted on: 2014/7/1 18:19
I like people, Packards and old motorbikes
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved