Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
196 user(s) are online (115 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 196

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Anyone know Packard collector Nate Dawes?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Meadows
See User information
On an episode of "American Pickers" last night, the guys picked the Packard memorabilia/car collection of a fellow named Nate Dawes. If I remember correctly, Nat wrote a book about pre-War Packards. Also, he owns the first v-8 Packard that rolled off the assembly line.

Just wondering if any forum members know or have met Nate. I think that's his first name, but I'm certain his last name was "Dawes."

kind regards
Garrett Meadows

Posted on: 2015/2/5 18:45
 Top  Print   

Re: Anyone know Packard collector Nate Dawes?
Home away from home
Home away from home

John Iaccino
See User information
I know him very well. Great guy, and his wife, Helen, is wonderful too. He owns the first '56 Caribbean off the assembly line. Knowledgeable too. Regards, John

Posted on: 2015/2/5 18:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Meadows
See User information
I rather figured someone in here had to know Nate. All I can say about his collection is an unqualified WOW! His Packard memorabilia collection has got to be nonpareil And that Caribbean of his is magnificent.

Where does Nate live? Also, did I hear correctly on last night's show that he wrote a book on pre-War Packards?

kind regards
Garrett Meadows

PS: I must say this justifies, at least for me, watching reality TV shows.

Posted on: 2015/2/5 18:55
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Nate lives in New York state, I've known him for many years and often encounter him at shows up in the Hudson Valley. His book is "The Packard 1942-1962", long out of print but very worthwhile if you can locate a copy.

Posted on: 2015/2/5 19:23
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Iaccino
See User information
He lives in Poughkeepsie, NY. I do have a signed copy of his book. John

Posted on: 2015/2/5 19:29
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Also, see this earlier thread about that Pickers episode.

Couple of copies of the Dawes book currently on Amazon.

Posted on: 2015/2/5 19:31
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Meadows
See User information
Just listening to Nate on "American Pickers" it was easy to tell he is a walking-encyclopedia of all things Packard. Of course, the pickers had trouble prying even the most nominal Packard memorabilia loose from Nate--and I don't blame him.

How the pickers found Nate's place, I don't remember. But, I did remember they were picking in NY state, I just didn't know where.

kind regards
Garrett Meadows

Posted on: 2015/2/5 19:35
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Harley
See User information
Friends

I met Nate in the early '90's. He spoke at an annual dinner of the lately departed Eastern Packard Club. He had just found a carton or two of his book someplace, albeit without a dust jacket, so he was selling copies. I had him autograph mine.

When he wrote the book, the postwar Packards were not highly regarded by many people. Literature on Packard was scanty until the Kimes book in the "80's, and what existed was focused on prewar senior cars. Nate's book was valuable for owners of postwar Packards.

This was one of the reasons for the founding of the EPC in 1964. Post war cars were always welcome there,as they were not in other cubs. Much of this was due the usual car club snobbery, but I also think it had to do with relative recent demise of Packard, which rubbed nerves a little raw for a long time.

I met Nate on a few other occasions, he is always friendly, cheerful and helpful as he is on the tv show.

Best

John Harley

Posted on: 2015/2/5 21:46
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

ECAnthony
See User information
Just a nit-pick, but Nat owns the first 1955 Caribbean, #5588-1001, not the first 1956. He bought it in 1965.

Posted on: 2015/2/5 22:59
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
In addition to the Caribbean, Nate also has (or had) a 1937 115 convertible coupe, somewhat mongrelized as I recall with a Ford Falcon engine and transmission. His Caribbean was at the PAC National in Gettysburg PA. As to his book, I find it a very handy resource and recommend it but as with any book written so many years ago, its only as current as the information available to Nate at the time. I find the best part of it to be the appendeces at the rear - good and easy-to-access information.

Posted on: 2015/2/6 9:52
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved