Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
170 user(s) are online (113 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 168

Don B, Packardbarry, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

To restore or preserve?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ken_P
See User information
MY 120 has the original paint, roof insert, running board rubber and trunk lining. It is missing all of the floor covering. Chrome is fair, paint is good above the belt line but chipped pretty heavily below. The engine was rebuilt, and the front of the frame repainted at the same time.

I am interested in opinions on whether this car should be restored or preserved. I know it is my choice, but it seems like it would be more interesting to fix what I can while trying to keep it as original as possible - i.e. color sanding and re-clearing vice a full re-paint, chrome polishing and spot restoration of bad components vice whole-sale re-chroming, etc.

Again, I know it is my car and ultimately my choice, but I'm interested in the opinions of those in the hobby longer than me. Long term goal of the car is to drive, show, and enjoy.

Posted on: 2015/10/16 9:28
1937 120 1092 - Original survivor for driving and continued preservation.
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=16514&forum=10

1937 115 1082 - Total basket case, partial restoration, sold Hershey 2015
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?start=0&topic_id=6550&order=ASC&status=&mode=0
 Top  Print   

Re: To restore or preserve?
Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
I'd preserve it (hold off on the clear coat) and then see if that makes me happy. If not, restore. Nothing lost but some elbow grease in the process. Once restored, there's no going back.

Posted on: 2015/10/16 9:39
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Hi Ken:

IMO there is never enough "originality" out there, it's the referee for those wanting full restoration. There is often the temptation to "restore" to an as-new appearance but in my view, where some elements are original and meet your criteria for "presentable" I'm in favor trying to maintain as much of that as possible. Using my own '34 Eight as an example, much but not all the paint is original, I repainted only where body repair was needed. I replaced the roof insert because the car can see rain on tours so to me that was essential. I went thru lots of delay and $ is obtaining new and correct matching striped wool broadcloth and only reupholstered what was absolutely essential - seat and door panels in front only which had large tears. Some of the chrome is original, that which was really poor was replated. So in the final analysis it depends of how much of the originality meets your criteria for acceptable appearance and function.

Posted on: 2015/10/16 9:42
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
For a lot of years I was of the restore persuasion. Looking back, if I had it to do over, a couple of cars "restored" should definitely have been refresh and preserve. Not only does it save original for those needing a reference, in most cases it is infinitely better on the wallet. As others can attest, once you start a restoration whatever you change and make pristine will make whatever is next to it look terrible. Once started it never ends.

Having said that, my opinion on your question is unless the car is a total mess where things are so obviously wrong or deteriorated and no amount of refreshing is going to help, I think the preserve is the better way to go. It sounds as if you have a decent driver that really won't take a whole lot. Patina seems to be in right now so you can do little things to make the car more presentable. Do those using correct materials wherever possible but save the full restoration for when time and money is more abundant.

The one place that is definitely worth a restoration and splurge now is the wiring. If it is typical the old fabric and rubber is probably in sad shape. Stuff half that old cracks if you bend the wire so I would imagine insulation on 80 year old wiring will crack if you give it a hard look. Just my

Posted on: 2015/10/16 9:54
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
I fully concur with JD, O-D, and HH56 on their advice to preserve. I did something similar to my formerly owned 55 Clipper. It was a long, but fun project and I got a lot of satisfaction out of improving the car.

If I were doing your 120, the first jobs would be to make it safe and dependable before going on to appearance. Brakes, suspension, steering are critical to driving and enjoying the Packard. Then, on to engine, drivetrain, and electricals. Finally, when the car is running and driving dependably, go to the interior and body. I know the temptation is to make the car look good first, but try and resist.

Please keep us posted on the project.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2015/10/16 10:22
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
I am in the preserve camp as well. I recall that when I bought my Packard the interior only had one tear in the front seat and I should have repaired that and left it as is instead of replacing the interior with non original fabric. In my opinion it is better to repair and save, if possible, the original components of a car especially paint and interior..

Posted on: 2015/10/16 10:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Deskdriver
See User information
This may or may not have any influence on your decision but just something to think about.

I had my car at our local donut shop get together one Saturday morning. Lots of people stopping and talking as this was the only Packard there. Soon this group of 3 guys were walking around looking at all the cars. I had left the drivers window down and ran off to get my coffee. Soon one of the three had his head in the window and stayed there for some time. Another one said "What the hell are you doing?" to which he replied, "I love the smell of old cars, it brings me back to when my brother and I rode in the back of our Buick with mom and dad". There was conversation about the boys not being able to see over the front see and not having to wear seat belts of course.

Pretty soon the other 2 guys were sticking their head in to get a good smell. When the guy who asked the,"what the hell are you doing", came up for air again he said "There is just something about that old car smell" They thanked me and moved on.

Later a very nice lady was looking the car over. She asked if I was going to restore her, I told her no that she was just a driver and wanted to keep it that way. She thanked me and said something like I was preserving history in a way. That sealed it for me. Preserve it is.

Posted on: 2015/10/16 12:46
[url=http://packardinf
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
Since your dealing with old lacquer, I'd not recommend to clear over with modern clears. Might as well use paint if you're going that route. Prep is the same.
Original lacquer tends to "dry out", crack, and chip as part of its aging. Applying new clear lacquer will shrink the surface only and could cause more lifting issues. You have to sand it down for good adhesion and that takes away from the patena. Water based clear has to heat cure and that'll mess up the other parts. Plus in prep you might sand through and make it look worse.
I'd recommend hand rubbing(compound) over color sanding or if you're good with an oscillating machine. I start with polishing compound and go to rubbing only, if needed, to match the gloss. Old paint is more pliable this way. There's some more tricks o' trade so consider consulting a detail shop. Depending on the paint condition, you'll likely not restore full luster with color sanding anyway and could go through. Color sanding is good for leveling newer paint or paint that has surface imperfections and you want higher gloss or fixing scratches, etc.
Since you say the top half paint is "better", in order to keep the iron cancer out, consider to spot spray and blend the bottom.
Clean it good and leave it alone then twice yearly coats of a good grade of carnuba wax will seal the paint and metal. Chrome will clean up fairly good and wax it also.
There's a mil spec. "silicone" spray the govt uses for aircraft that preserves rubber when it goes to the bone yard. We used to use it for detailing but I'm not sure if it's around anymore. I'll have research that one.
Well, I'm not getting my undercoat paint done sitting here.

Posted on: 2015/10/16 13:08
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

39SixSedanMan
See User information
Ken,
I agree with each of the guy's posts on this: preserve. My own 39 was very far gone when I began, some thought I pulled it out of a riverbed. So it was a no brainer. However, with that being said, I left many cosmetic items as is, or replaced with better but not perfect pieces and I have no problems with imperfect bits. My 39 is a great driver, just the way I like it. As a matter of fact, I drove it to work today. Perfect cool morning, 30 mile drive (I even used the heater).

I also own a 50 Hudson, which I have had for 1.5 years; unlike its stablemate, it is a very original car that just hit 50k miles. The previous owner gave it a respectable paint job 10+ years ago, and I have been bringing the mechanicals back myself. I plan to maintain the interior materials and only fix what must be. It too has that great, old car smell and feel.

As JW said, get it reliable and safe first. An of course, "It's Only Original Once"

Pat

Posted on: 2015/10/16 13:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ken_P
See User information
Thanks to everyone for the ideas, and Jim for the specifics - if you find out what the spray is let me know. The car supposedly has a new wiring harness, and it is mechanically well sorted. I do have some projects on my list for this winter to make it better.

Also good to know about color sanding versus hand rubbing. I know zero tricks, so I'll be making some consultations before I touch the paint!

I'll post some detailed pictures in my project blog this weekend so everyone can see exactly what I'm working with.

Thanks again for all the input! I bought it planning on restoration, but rapidly leaned towards preservation after driving the car, seeing people look at it, etc. I have put about 200 miles on it since I purchased it in mid-August!

Preservation it is!

Posted on: 2015/10/16 18:37
1937 120 1092 - Original survivor for driving and continued preservation.
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=16514&forum=10

1937 115 1082 - Total basket case, partial restoration, sold Hershey 2015
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?start=0&topic_id=6550&order=ASC&status=&mode=0
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved