Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
236 user(s) are online (166 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 235

Oldcaddies , more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Over Heating
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Warren for including your '49 Eight Touring Sedan in the Registry. Looks like it's the car that was for sale in Merimbula. Good to hear you're in Canberra, not too far from me.

Posted on: 2015/8/6 5:27
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Wazza22
See User information
Hi Mal,

Yes it was the one from Merimbula. Purchased late December last year and brought up to Canberra in January.

Cheers,

Warren

Posted on: 2015/8/6 5:39
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Wazza22
See User information
Well its been a while and I have been having great fun trying to sort the overheating...

What I concluded was head gasket. The car would be fine at idle but under driving would heat up. It would then cool off again if I sat idling for a while.

I had already done water pump, new radiator, flushed all the system, checked timing (although its at 6deg BTDC - so maybe reduce?)

So I pulled the head and found leaking at the rear of number eight (rear centre stud was stripped so there was no tension), also leaking between 4,5,6 in the centre and around some of the water galleries.

Anyway its back together and I was wondering if there was a 'magic' procedure for bleeding all the air from the system?

Many thanks,

Warren

Posted on: 2015/12/11 4:09
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
Packard water pumps, distribution tube and simple constuction do not require system bleeding. Good luck with your car and give me a bell if I may be of assistance. i have a 48 in going order. Peter Toet, 0408697105

Attach file:

jpg  (89.43 KB)
154_566a98be326c0.jpg 960X720 px

Posted on: 2015/12/11 4:32
I like people, Packards and old motorbikes
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Wazza22
See User information
Thanks Peter,

I may give you a call tomorrow, I'm in Canberra too!

Cheers,

Warren

Posted on: 2015/12/11 5:03
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
Good Morning...It seems that the 22nd and 23rd series have more heating issues than most other Packards...Some of us have changed to higher capacity fans and built radiator shrouds that fit into the slot under the U shaped radiator reinforcement brace. I also run a radiator coolest additive called '40 below' which was designed for race cars. It is like water wetter, only more effective. It is available from Speedway for $24.95. A really pretty girl in the front seat also seems to help! Ernie

Posted on: 2015/12/11 9:24
Caretaker of the 1949-288 Deluxe Touring Sedan
'Miss Prudence' and the 1931 Model A Ford Tudor 'Miss Princess'
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I agree, Ernie. All cooling systems slowly loss efficiency over time and the evidence seems pretty overwhelming that the 22nd/23rd Series Eights and Super Eights had less buffer capacity than models before and after. The Custom 8 seems the exception, perhaps by virtue of a much larger radiator capacity they seem to be for the most part pretty much immune to the problem afflicting their stablemates.

Posted on: 2015/12/11 10:40
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

kasli
See User information
Would suggest check the timing and also the waterpump if it's developed any sort of play . Needs to be serviced or replaced . What I also would suggest is to remove the thermostat completely which I have done here in India . Running across 38-45 degrees Celsius temperature in peak summer . Have Also for heavy traffic conditions installed an electric external fan.

All the best ! Quote:

packard666 wrote:
Have a 48 Custom 356 that overheats within 15 minutes of driving. Rebuilt the radiator, put in new water pump, flushed the heck out of block but still have problem. Used heat gun to confirm temp going to 180 degrees and then into the red. Has a 140 degree thermostat in it which opens and temp drops, then goes back to red.

Any ideas?

Had this same problem with my 49 327, put in a new radiator that builder said would cool a Mac truck, and same problem, so I just ran it without a thermostat and it was ok.

Posted on: 2015/12/11 12:41
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
In addition to checking the timing setting, check the vacuum advance chamber to see that it is not leaking. A leaking chamber will also contribute to over heating.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2015/12/11 13:37
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Wazza22
See User information
Thank you all for your suggestions. I am intending on checking the timing again today, the distributor is fully rebuilt including the vacuum advance so it 'should' not be a problem.

In regard to radiator size I had been thinking for a while that it simply needed a bigger unit or maybe a 4 core unit. That has always been the fix on a myriad of other cars I have owned over the years.

I'll update further once I know some more!

Cheers,

Warren

Posted on: 2015/12/11 14:48
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved