Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
122 user(s) are online (106 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 121

HH56, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Manifold Drain Tube
Just popping in
Just popping in

Mike D.
See User information
The manifold drain tube on my 1935 1201 is soldered shut, so excess fuel comes out the carburetor shaft and dumps on the frame. I understand the tube should have a featherweight aluminum ball with cotter pin in the end. If that is correct, does anyone know the size or where one can get an aluminum ball. Thank you.

Posted on: 2016/11/3 21:43
 Top  Print   

Re: Manifold Drain Tube
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Industrial supply houses like MSC, McMaster, and the like should have them though you'll probably have to buy a box of 50 or 100.

But you really shouldn't have so much excess raw gasoline as to leak from the throttle plate shaft; are you sure your carburetor isn't running overly rich? For example to high a float level, or a poorly functioning automatic choke?

Posted on: 2016/11/3 22:23
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Mike D.
to PackardInfo, and I invite you to include your '35 1201 in the Packard Owner's Registry.

Posted on: 2016/11/4 0:43
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Mike D.
See User information
I should have explained when I get the gas overflow. It happens with a hot engine on shutoff. Fuel expands and pushes out through the needle valve most likely. The float level is set properly for the fuel pump. So I get a drip on shutoff. I will have to look in the McMaster book. Not sure what size would be correct, but I can measure the tube. Mike D.

Posted on: 2016/11/4 8:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fredkanter
See User information
Tube is quite small and ball does not go in it so measuring it is no benefit. At bottom there is a fitting ,was a cotter pin at bottom.

Remove tube assb from engine, heat soldered opening and remove all solder , keep fitting pointed down so solder does not go up tube.

There will be a tapered area at upper end of fitting, that's where ball seats. If you're lucky the ball will still be there, if not buy new one, size???

Posted on: 2016/11/4 9:09
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Here is an illustration of what Fred described. The ball is in the wider retainer and seat piece at the bottom of the tube. Without something for the ball to seat against there could be no possibility of the ball sealing sufficiently to avoid a vacuum leak.

The illustration is from a later service counselor article instructing mechanics on how to install the drain on a different engine. If yours is missing, I doubt you will find the retainer and ball available NOS but just in case Fred has something here are the part numbers.

If nothing is left of the original assy I wonder if a modern low threshold operating pressure check valve could be used. McMaster has a couple that might be possibilities. Other places have fuel line check valves that might also work.

Attach file:

jpg  (41.41 KB)
209_581ca714d6ef1.jpg 582X648 px

jpg  (35.34 KB)
209_581ca71e37222.jpg 622X478 px

Posted on: 2016/11/4 10:21
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packardbarry
See User information
It has been awhile since ive been into one of them but i believe its not a alum ball but just a plain old stl

Posted on: 2016/11/4 11:11
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Mike D.
See User information
Well, I was told by a Packard restoration expert that it is an aluminum ball, so the vacuum can easily lift it. The issue here is that the car is at 7600 feet of altitude, so the manifold vacuum is only about 14 inches, since we lose 1 inch for every 1000 feet of altitude gain. The car came from Georgetown Colorado, which is at an even higher altitude! So maybe that is why it got soldered shut! I may just need to leave it that way, but I will examine the end of the tube this weekend to see what I have there. I can test the thing with my vacuum bleeder pump to see if it will work, if the ball is in there.

Posted on: 2016/11/4 21:32
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Bruce Blevins
See User information
If you are interested in the parts to the drain tube, I have nearly 40,000 Packard part prints. Just need part number.

Posted on: 2016/11/6 6:37
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packardbarry
See User information
"I was told by a Packard restoration expert that it is an aluminum ball"

Have a '35 '12' virgin on the shelf. I give it a check. As i tell everyone IVE BEEN WRONG BEFORE

WELLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Magnet wont pick the ball up so i assume it is Alum
Told u IVE BEEN WRONG BEFORE

Posted on: 2016/11/6 10:27
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved