Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
224 user(s) are online (140 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 222

Don B, Todd W. White, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Transmission question
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Not that difficult. You might download the transmission and overdrive training manual from the literature sectionhttps://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/TransmissionAndOverdriveTrainingManual.pdf and see if it is something you want to tackle. Most parts for the trans are available from Kanter or Max or maybe Flackmaster although some of the high demand items might be a bit up there. Overdrive is another story.

You can also look thru Henry's 37 limousine blog. IIRC he just recently rebuilt his unit and may have some photos. His has the cane shift but other than the top cover and shift forks I believe the rest is about the same as yours.

You might also check out the Econodrive Training manual also in the literature section and have a read thru the service section. The manual has better photos and maybe a bit more detail than that in the combo trans and overdrive manual.https://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/EconoDriveTrainingBook.pdf

Posted on: 2017/1/12 22:32
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
A poster who comes here from time to time recently asked in an email to others about why the separate and complicated overdrive unit was continued for so many years. He posted it would have been simpler to build a transmission with a 4th over-driven gear. This is what the modern transmissions do, albeit a 5th gear for overdrive. No governors, no solenoids, no relays, no lock-out cables, no kick-down switches, etc. Makes sense to me. I guess we learn from the past. Let the stones fly!

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2017/1/12 23:05
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
you will find an amazingly well documented rebuild of a 22nd series R9 in Kirtiies blog. Or is it Kurti's....whatever, its there in bloody detail, along with the referenced manuals.

Posted on: 2017/1/12 23:56
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
This blog on the PAC Website.

Posted on: 2017/1/13 0:01
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Packrat48
See User information
Thank you so much.
This is all very helpful and I'm sad to say I have a feeling my OD is bad.

Posted on: 2017/1/13 0:39
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
If necessary I have a good supply of R9 parts, including a complete R9 with the electromatic switches. Don't be too pessimistic, we have seen many a gunked up R9 come back to life with a proper service.

Posted on: 2017/1/13 11:46
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

John Sauser
See User information
I rebuilt my trans and r-9 about 5 years ago and will say use your digital camera to photo every step of the teardown. You cannot take too many pictures. Before you move or remove any part take a good picture of it. A digital camera is your best friend.

Rebuild was straight forward but for most of us it's been awhile since I was in a transmission( at least 50 years ).

Good luck,
John

Posted on: 2017/1/13 12:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I have a COMPLETE `1948 2262 chassis and drive trane with 3 speed manual trans.

How much trouble would it be to install the 2262 manual transmission into a 56 Executive that currently has a TwinUltramatic???

I'm not too worried about linkages and clutch pedal problems because i mite go with floor shifter (maybe) and hyraulic clutch, i don't know.

Mostly what i am wondering is if bellhousings and flywheel will interchange.

Or is it more trouble than it's worth to try it???

Posted on: 2017/3/3 15:29
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
My father installed the pre-1955 Packard-built transmissions in a few 1955 and 1956 Packards and Clippers.

In addition to securing a bell housing and flywheel a driveshaft will need to be modified. The tricky problem was the relay levers used in the shift linkage. It will not be a problem if you go with a floor shifter.

He had to do some modification to the rear transmission mount to fit the older style units, but it was a minor one.

As I recall, back in the day, all the parts for the manual transmission 55-56 cars were available new from a supplier which bought the surplus parts from Studebaker-Packard. He just placed his order and all the parts and bits were delivered. These parts are hard to find today; however transmissions are easier to locate.

His conversions worked well, used the column shifter, and were trouble free.

It would be much more easy to install one of the 55-56 transmissions. I believe they were the ones that the larger Fords and Mercurys used. Or, go for a 4-speed.

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2017/3/4 11:49
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved