Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
216 user(s) are online (143 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 6
Guests: 210

John Sauser, Ozstatman, Ross, TxGoat, humanpotatohybrid, Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: '42 Clipper Eight with Air Conditioning - photo documentation
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

tom abel
See User information
hi
my name is Tom and I just joined Packard motor car info.
I just purchased the 42 clipper with factory air conditioning that was seen on the Radcliff Ohio craigslist.I do plan on a complete body off restoration as the car is very rough. I have been restoring cars for 30 years and mainly Packards and Mopars for the past 20.There were some questions concerning the word elite.This word is nowhere found on the car. The words air conditioned are found on the hood.I will be taking pictures of the car as work progresses.
As with all people in this field my car comes last so this will be a long process.I did see where Mr. Peterson said he has owned this car and his brother still has some a/c brackets.Any info on the car would be greatly appreciated and if your brother can locate those brackets I would be willing to buy them from him.Look forward to hearing from anyone who can help.
Thanks Tom

Posted on: 2017/10/27 14:43
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
Hi Tom, glad to see this car might be restored. I hope you start a blog down on the forum showing its restoration as it progress.
John

Posted on: 2017/10/27 14:53
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Tom(tom abel),
to PackardInfo, and I invite you to include your air conditioned '42 Clipper in the Packard Owner's Registry.

Posted on: 2017/10/27 16:55
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
If West doesn't have the brackets, I may. Lemme think, I think I have the double fan pulley. Do I still have the compressor bracket? Not sure...will be home sometime first week in November. I definitely have the AIR CONDITIONED emblems for the side of the hood. I think I still have the A/C switch for the dash. And a 5 bladed fan. What else? Hmmm...maybe a referral to the man who I divert all my A/C finds to.
JWA in NC. (not on this site, PM me for contact details)

DAF

Posted on: 2017/10/27 18:47
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Flackmaster, If you or West do have a Clipper bracket -- or have any other not commonly seen prewar Clipper AC components -- would you post a few photos before any find a new home. The prewar AC parts and service articles do not show much if any Clipper detail info. It would be nice to document some of the differences between the conventional body cars.

Aside from the compressor bracket and dash switch, there may also be some differences with the evaporator case and inner components to accommodate the return air flow. I believe there are different shapes and body structures behind and under the rear seats that makes the air entry point different. It would be much appreciated if Tom could post photos of that portion when he gets around to disassembly on the car.

Posted on: 2017/10/27 19:15
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
I sent your message to my brother. He's trying to remember where he put it. I suspect the car still has its double pulley? Not sure about the a/c switch under the dash. Don't remember if it was ever there when we had it. I believe Yesterday's radio is getting ready to reproduce it, though.

Posted on: 2017/10/27 19:16
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
Not sure about the a/c switch under the dash.

That is one of the differences with the Clippers. AC switch was in one of the 6 positions in the dash switch cluster on Clippers. I suspect it is the same switch as is used on cars with the standard dual stream heater and defroster but don't know for sure.

Posted on: 2017/10/27 19:21
Howard
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

tom abel
See User information
car still has double pulley and 5 blade fan. as for the switch I thought the top right switch that says cooling was for the a/c. at least I hope.thanks for emailing your brother hope he can find them.

Posted on: 2017/10/29 21:35
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
We bought the car in Austin, Minnesota in the very early 1970s. It had around 35,000 miles on it. We also bought a 1946 Packard at the same time. The front bumper of the '42 was in pretty bad shape (chrome pealing), so we put the 1946 bumper on the '42. I think we still have the rust-free doors from the '46, but we junked the rest of the car (I believe they are the same as on the '42, so if your doors are now too rusty to repair, let me know).

We sold the '42 to a man in Ohio in the mid-1980s. At the time, it still has fewer than 40,000 miles on it.

Lost track of it and never heard about it again until we saw it on Craigslist last month. I had been searching for it for quite some time, even made a post on this forum asking if anyone knew where it was. I have had its serial number written on a Post It note and sitting on my desk for several years (1532-2054).

Attach file:

jpg  (277.07 KB)
404_59f7607e623e7.jpg 1800X1350 px

jpg  (288.68 KB)
404_59f763ef7919b.jpg 1920X1397 px

jpg  (349.04 KB)
404_59f763fd2746a.jpg 1920X1403 px

Posted on: 2017/10/30 12:32
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved