Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
229 user(s) are online (141 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 229

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Source for Type DB and JHE Bijur metering units (drip plugs)?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Eugene Wescott
See User information
Tom,

Not sure if I can help, but the left front one on my '30 broke away from the copper tube that comes from the pump. It was plugged so I soaked it for a while in Parts/Brake cleaner fluid to loosen the blockage. I then soaked it in denatured alcohol and used a fine wire on both ends to loosen the dirt and an air hose which freed up the blockage.

Gene

Posted on: 2009/1/15 7:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Thomas Wilcox
See User information
Gene,

That is pretty much what I did to clean up my fittings. I just talked to Bruce Blevins, and he said the following test will tell you if the unit is still operating correctly:

1) Find a source of 5 psi air.
2) Connect tube from air source to narrow extension from fitting (the end that goes into the oil supply line).
3) Submerge the larger end (where oil should come out to lubricate the chassis component) of the fitting in water.
4) Turn on air and observe.

If the metering unit is working properly, you should get a little bubble of air coming from the large end of the fitting every second or so: bubble ...... bubble ..... etc.

Anything else, and the unit should be replaced. Bruce does have new metering units.

I thought this was a good piece of information, and one I have not seen posted elsewhere.

Cheers,

Tom

Attach file:

jpg  (29.67 KB)
333_496f6e1fed46e.jpg 480X538 px

Posted on: 2009/1/15 12:03
--
Thomas Wilcox
34 Roadster, [url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/r
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

tbirdman
See User information
Bruce,

I plan to service my 32 automatic bijur system this month. I've already had the pump serviced. If I do have all of the metering plugs on the car, is there any reason I should look at buying the repos from you? Can these plugs get hopelessly plugged up and it just makes sense to buy repos?

Tbirdman

Posted on: 2009/2/1 14:33
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
As long as you use clean oil in the jar, and the filter in the bottom of the pump itself is cleaned once in a while, the drip plugs should remain OK.

Bruce's method is widely used; you may also want to know how to test the vacuum pump itself on the automatic Bijur; I believe there are several methods covered in the official Bijur manual on this website, but an easy way is to disconnect the oil outlet at the jar, and disconnect the vacuum line at the pump diaphram. Then with the engine idling, repeatedly hold and remove the vacuum line from it's connection perhaps 20 times. If the pump is working you'll see oil coming from the oil outlet.

Posted on: 2009/2/1 14:48
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
tbirdman wrote:.......I plan to service my 32 automatic bijur system this month......

G'day Ken,

Just realised I haven't asked you yet to add your lovely '32 to the Owner Registry here, together with a pic, any known history and how you acquired it. But afraid I'll have to pass on the brass Cadillac for obvious reasons.

EDIT - Only one '32 in the Registry at present, need to build the numbers!

Posted on: 2009/2/1 15:09
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Ken,
for adding the '32 to the Registry, just boosted the '32 year by 100%! Like the period golf clubs, do you play?

Posted on: 2009/2/2 15:42
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

tbirdman
See User information
I used to play a lot more but now maybe 4 times a year. Was on my high school golf team many years ago for one year. Now I play business golf. Good enough not to be embaressed or hold up the foursome. Funny thing is people do get a kick out of those golf clubs and I can't tell you how many times I get asked what is that little door for?

I know my golf clubs spur own a fellow club member to search for a golf bag and clubs. I gave him a few extra clubs I had acquired. The irons are a match set with copper color heads.

Posted on: 2009/2/7 2:14
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Ken,

I used to play, took it up in my late 20's and was very passionate about the game. At one time lived in a street that dead-ended onto a golf course, joined the club and used to play 9 holes before work 3 or 4 times a week, year round. Because I rushed it never improved much but the day I played 9 holes 3 over par was my golfing highlight many years ago! But lost interest, didn't play for 15 years until my son-in-law's "buck's night" which included a game of golf as part of the festivities. Discovered then I'm too old, too inflexible and too tired, but it sure was enjoyable while it lasted. Actually have a few wooden shafted clubs, and no I'm not THAT old.

Posted on: 2009/2/7 3:33
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Ronald E. Williams
See User information
Sun Source may have these units since they bought up a lot of Bijur fittings. I recently bought metering units from them for my 35. Their web site is www.sunsrce.com, and their phone number is 888-786-7723.

Ron Williams

Posted on: 2009/2/24 23:45
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved