Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
233 user(s) are online (125 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 232

William Grosz, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Late 1930s Period Options
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Russell Harmon
See User information
Hello Packard Enthusiasts! I am looking for mainly photographic evidence suggesting what options were available in the late 1930s to early 1940s. I understand that things like foglights, heaters, and possibly window shades were but I'm looking for more interesting and possibly less popular ones, or not commonly seen. I have a 39' Club Coupe and its fitted with antennas under the running boards, a somewhat strange if not incorrect option or accessory in my opinion, especially because my car does not feature a radio. Any help with this search will be greatly appreciated. Also any period 1930s photos or links is appreciated as well, I'm having a hard time finding what I'm looking for on google. Thanks again!

Posted on: 2018/4/16 14:24
 Top  Print   

Re: Late 1930s Period Options
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
You might start getting familiar with the accessories by browsing the factory accessory catalogs. Many are on this site in the Literature and Manuals section.

Posted on: 2018/4/16 15:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
The accessory catalog shows some of the accessories, but not all. More "extra cost" equipment can be found in the Salesman's Data book. Here's the accessory catalog.

https://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/1939_AccessoryBrochure.pdf

Posted on: 2018/4/16 15:47
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Hey Russell,

Welcome to the 'Wide World of Packard'! I have a '39 Six, so I mostly 'traffic' in info related to that year, but one option that isn't seen that often is a tach where the clock goes. I forget who I was communicating with that had one; they said it was 'quite rare'.

Posted on: 2018/4/16 19:22
'If you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!' Henry Ford.
1939 Packard Six, Model 1700
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
Quote:

Packard newbie wrote:
... one option that isn't seen that often is a tach where the clock goes. I forget who I was communicating with that had one; they said it was 'quite rare'.

The tach was something the dealer ordered and installed on demonstration cars to show buyers how much the overdrive transmission reduced engine speed. It wasn't an "accessory" option for the end user.

Posted on: 2018/4/16 20:45
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Russell Harmon,
to PackardInfo and for including your '39 One Twenty Club Coupe in the Packard Owner's Registry.

Here's a link to some '39 tacho info.

There are at least two '39's here in Australia with under running board radio aerials and both have radios! Pic's below are from the '39 110 Convertible Coupe.

Attach file:

jpg  (61.57 KB)
226_5ad56bae3bd65.jpg 1339X463 px

jpg  (31.63 KB)
226_5ad56bbb434b5.jpg 779X584 px

jpg  (38.16 KB)
226_5ad56bc4a4d47.jpg 779X584 px

jpg  (42.67 KB)
226_5ad56bcf0404c.jpg 779X584 px

jpg  (49.75 KB)
226_5ad56bd9421de.jpg 779X584 px

Posted on: 2018/4/16 22:37
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Russell Harmon
See User information
Thanks for all the info!

I studied the accessory catalog and saw the antennas, it even mentions how they are not as efficient. Nice to see what it looks like on someone else's car though. Mine are dry rotted and falling so I need to remove them.

The tach is very interesting! I never would've imagined a 39'(or any) Packard with a tach! But I can see how it was a marketing thing for dealers to demonstrate the new "econo drive"

The accessory catalog was also helpful in that I bought a Unity Packard spotlight mirror for my car but I now see it would be incorrect. I believe it was from a postwar Packard. I still may install it but for now I cant bring myself to drill the holes in the A pillar to mount it. It's almost sort of a what if I don't like it deal, I cannot undo it. It's something I will have to think about more

Posted on: 2018/4/16 23:01
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

jwblazek
See User information
Surfing through the site looking for ideas and came across this thread. I the tachometer option in my glove box, couple of photos are attached. I had posted these previously as well

Attach file:

jpg  (198.15 KB)
111944_5af09abbc4034.jpg 1920X1280 px

Posted on: 2018/5/7 13:28
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved