Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
225 user(s) are online (150 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 223

BigKev, ElGroucho, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: What have I got here, 1938?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Faust
See User information
by 1938 Club Coupe on 2009/2/13 8:37:44

38 was the only year for the decal vin tag,hope its not missing ?Its a 38 dash for sure,if it has a trip odometer then it more than likely a 120.You could measure the wheel base to be positive.The banjo wheel was an option.

Assuming the VIN decal went on the firewall plate, it is missing. I was wondering about that, the space on the plate is smooth; as though it was never imprinted. The 8 engine fits in comfortably, as I recall the 110 was about 6" shorter in the engine compartment. So, I assume a 120.

Posted on: 2009/2/13 11:50
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
110 (or properly the Six in 1938) has 122 inch wheelbase, the 120 (properly the Eight in 1938) has (except for the lwb limo) 127, so if in doubt get out your tape measure.

Posted on: 2009/2/13 12:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Phil Randolph
See User information
Yep that's a 38 dash. Now I have a question- there are 4 knobs or the holes for 4 knobs where the radio goes. I have a volume knob and a tuning knob,what are the other (outside) knobs for? Right now I have my turn signal lights in there.

Posted on: 2009/2/13 13:28
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Perhaps you don't realize that it's here, but why not just go to the picture of the dashboard in the 38 owner's manual (on this site). The various functions and positions are identified there. See page 14.

Posted on: 2009/2/13 13:43
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Phil Randolph
See User information
I have already checked the 38 owners manual on this site. The manual is for a 6 and the picture is of a radio delete dash

Posted on: 2009/2/13 14:31
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Faust,
to PackardInfo. Please don't forget to include your '38, and any other Packards you have, in the Owner Registry together with a pic, any known history and how you acquired it/them.

Posted on: 2009/2/13 14:35
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Don't the Six and the Eight have the same dashboard? I thought so. Sorry, I missed noting that the dash pictured didn't have a radio.

Posted on: 2009/2/13 15:04
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
I've not gone back to look a the pictures again, but likely difference is Standard vs. Deluxe radio. Check the accessories brochure...

Posted on: 2009/2/13 16:21
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Faust
See User information
"Yep that's a 38 dash. Now I have a question- there are 4 knobs or the holes for 4 knobs where the radio goes. I have a volume knob and a tuning knob,what are the other (outside) knobs for? Right now I have my turn signal lights in there."

Can't recall what the "knob" to the right of the radio is, the one to the left is a bulb. It is unshielded and seems to be red. The guess about directionals is a good one. There are absolutely no lights on the car, but there is a hint on the steering column. Just below the wheel the column is wrapped with friction tape (remember friction tape and dark closets?) This suggests that at one time a directional switch was mounted on the column.

I have decided the car is a 120CD, or the 1938 equivalent. It has "all the options", radio, clock, dual tone horns, banjo wheel, etc. Too bad it is "just parts".

Posted on: 2009/2/13 22:41
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Faust
See User information
G'day Faust,
Welcome to PackardInfo. Please don't forget to include your '38, and any other Packards you have, in the Owner Registry together with a pic, any known history and how you acquired it/them.

G'day
I am more of a fan of Buicks of that era and don't have any other Packards.

On the other hand, I have a framed copy of an old Packard ad which reads "I'm keeping a promise I made to this boy". When I was a kid in the 60's, an old lady still drove around town in a 1937 120 Club Sedan, green with sidemounts. Should I come across one of those, it may be another story.

An interesting line in that ad is "can be bought with little or no cash".

If anyone is interested in middle 50's Packards, I can point you to a junkyard with 4-5 of those, no Carribeans, a few two doors. I haven't been there is a few months and the junkyard is under pressure by the town to close, they may have gone to the crusher.

PS, I just sent 1200lb of Fiat parts to Australia. It went ocean freight. You might be interested to know that because of dockside costs in Australia, it might have been somewhat cheaper to have paid for delivery to his home in Melbourne. This is not without cost, but it appears it would have been less.

Posted on: 2009/2/14 9:31
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved