Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
172 user(s) are online (116 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 170

29tons, moodydavid16, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 250 251 252 (253) 254 255 256 257 »

Re: BigKev
Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
Excellent results on the seat rehab. And thanks for putting together the video. It's a lot of work to do the editing for those, but they are so much more helpful (to me at least) than trying to follow along with pictures.

-Kevin

Posted on: 2022/10/25 11:58
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Today's task was finally swapping out the rubber valve stems on my wheels for metal valve stems.

I've gotten tired of having to recenter my wheel covers ever after a relatively short drive to prevent them from completely bending the valve stems in half.

I've bent the tabs on the wheel covers multiple times to no benefit. Even to the point where it requires a rubber mallet with some force to install them. Even with them that tight, they still spin and pinch the valve stems.

So I ordered these chrome-plated, brass valve stems from Amazon. I think there were less than $10.

Then a quick stop at the local tire shop to have them swapped out. The mechanics refused to drive the car in (nervous I guess), so had me do it.

They did it for free, at no charge. But I still gave the actual mechanic a nice tip to cover his labor.

The car up on the lift almost looks like it's hovering.

After it was all back together, an extended driving session proved they worked. The wheel covers still spun a little but were stopped by the rigid valve stem.

Attach file:

jpeg  20221029_115617 Medium.jpeg (32.81 KB)
1_635ecc443602a.jpeg 640X640 px

jpeg  20221029_114659 Medium.jpeg (67.28 KB)
1_635ecc51ae2db.jpeg 640X640 px

jpeg  20221030_085935 Medium.jpeg (55.28 KB)
1_635ecc6438f35.jpeg 640X640 px

jpeg  20221030_100640 Medium.jpeg (47.76 KB)
1_635ecc72f2225.jpeg 640X640 px

jpeg  20221030_135100 Medium.jpeg (30.82 KB)
1_635ecc7a7c3b5.jpeg 360X640 px

Posted on: 2022/10/30 14:11
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Just a note, these bolt-in metal ones look pretty much like the all-brass ones that were in my rims when I got them.

Also, you need 1-1/2" long stems. The 1" will be too short.

Posted on: 2022/10/30 14:15
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Re: BigKev's 1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Sedan
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
The tire shop put those on my 1951 Henney-Packard and at first I had very mixed feelings about them because they looked so much nicer than the rest of the car which is quite rough! It did prompt me to clean up the beauty rings, though, and on your beautiful car they look great.

Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: 2022/10/30 14:58
 Top  Print   

Re: BigKev's 1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Sedan
Home away from home
Home away from home

Rscott77x
See User information
I put these types of valve stems on my Clipper when I put the new tires on. A big advantage is that they hold air a lot longer. A disadvantage is that they're not flexible like regular valve stems. So that's something you have to bear in mind.

Posted on: 2022/10/30 16:40
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
BigKev wrote:....I've gotten tired of having to recenter my wheel covers ever after a relatively short drive to prevent them from completely bending the valve stems in half.

I've bent the tabs on the wheel covers multiple times to no benefit. Even to the point where it requires a rubber mallet with some force to install them. Even with them that tight, they still spin and pinch the valve stems.

The car up on the lift almost looks like it's hovering....
Kev,

Did you try "Gorilla snot", aka a very grippy adhesive, before going to the metal stems?

Like the hover shot!

Posted on: 2022/10/30 18:56
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
BigKev wrote:....I've gotten tired of having to recenter my wheel covers ever after a relatively short drive to prevent them from completely bending the valve stems in half.

The car up on the lift almost looks like it's hovering....
Kev,

Did you try "Gorilla snot", aka a very grippy adhesive, before going to the metal stems?

Like the hover shot!

EDIT This post took a loooong time to "post", probably 20>30 seconds. No wonder there are so many duplicate posts. People do get tired of waiting for an action which is usually very prompt.

Posted on: 2022/10/30 18:56
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Mal, I haven't been able to figure out the exact cause of that delay. It is sporadic and not repeatable. I imagine it has to do something with DB loading. But undeterminate at this point.

Posted on: 2022/11/3 10:22
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Kudos to Ralph the Radio guy. I've talked about the radio conversion he did and posted a video about it before (see link).

https://youtu.be/mWTSQ4wVa9g

But, last week, while out for a drive, the wonderbar (signal seeking) function stopped working. I pressed the bar, and the dial started to move and then stopped at the end of its travel without flipping back to the beginning. From there, it was dead. No matter where the dial was manually set, the wonderbar function wouldn't automatically move the dial.

I could still tune the radio manually, and the radio still worked. Just the signal-seeing portion was dead.

So I emailed Ralph and explained the issue, and he said we would take a look at it. So the radio came out of the car and went over for him to look at.

In less than 2 hours, he messaged me back and had it resolved. From what I understood from him, there are 3 spring-loaded inductor rods in the wonderbar mechanism that were used originally. The modern circuit board only requires a single one. One of the unused inductors had somehow gotten misaligned and caused a mechanical jam in the mechanism. So Ralph removed the offending inductor as it wasn't being used. Now everything is working again.

He refused any payment for the repair, which wasn't really his problem but a failure in one of the original radio parts. He stood by his work, which was done back in March 2020.

So if you looking for either regular radio repair (re-capping, tubes, etc.) or conversion, I highly recommend him.

He is based in the Chicagoland area but takes in work from all over the country.

I know a few other Packard folks have used him as well for pre and post-war radio repairs.

Posted on: 2022/11/3 10:40
-BigKev

Top  Print   
Like (1)

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
BigKev wrote:Mal, I haven't been able to figure out the exact cause of that delay. It is sporadic and not repeatable. I imagine it has to do something with DB loading. But undeterminate at this point.
Kev,

Frustrating, both for you and us!

Posted on: 2022/11/3 18:47
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved