Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
222 user(s) are online (133 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 218

moodydavid16, Ozstatman, Jack Vines, kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Hub Cap Question
Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob J
See User information
Is there a way to increase the holding strength on the hub caps? I am investing a serious value in plating original caps and am concerned that they may be susceptible to coming of the tangs on the rim when hitting a pothole or something. Anybody found a way to improve on the simple tang method?
Thanks
Bob J.

Posted on: 2023/2/23 20:52
 Top  Print   

Re: Hub Cap Question
Home away from home
Home away from home

su8overdrive
See User information
Common problem. The tangs are spring steel, but you should be able to bend them outward enough to impart greater pressure on the inner rim of your hubcaps. Also wrap the tangs with friction--not smooth electrical-- tape.

Posted on: 2023/2/23 22:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob J
See User information
Will do.
Bob J.

Posted on: 2023/2/24 11:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Somewhere here there is a service letter which address the problem and offers a fix. As I recall it is something about placing a drill bit between the wheel and tang to bend tang back to better secure the wheel cover. You can probably add gripping to the wheel covers by carefully bending the tangs out from the wheel.

Posted on: 2023/2/24 13:15
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob J
See User information
That makes sense. Thanks guys!
Bob J.

Posted on: 2023/2/24 14:43
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob J
See User information
Look what finally came back from the platers! Brian at Cambridge Chrome did ask if it was a rush! I said no, to be honest she just passed her safety yesterday so they came in just in time. Got them all re-painted per factory(ish) as much as I am able to do with a brush anyway. I only did 3 as one was in pretty good shape and I like to show off some of the 'survivor' chrome if it is passable.
Bob J.

Attach file:

jpg  Original Hub Caps.JPG (324.14 KB)
225215_65397d980c065.jpg 1770X1343 px

jpg  Original Hub Cap-as is.JPG (201.76 KB)
225215_65397da56f3a1.jpg 1496X1205 px

jpg  Hub Caps Replated-painted.JPG (360.68 KB)
225215_65397db9e84b9.jpg 2762X1807 px

Posted on: 2023/10/25 15:42
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
They look great!

Posted on: 2023/10/25 16:48
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

ElGroucho
See User information
Quote:

Bob J wrote:
Look what finally came back from the platers! Brian at Cambridge Chrome did ask if it was a rush! I said no, to be honest she just passed her safety yesterday so they came in just in time. Got them all re-painted per factory(ish) as much as I am able to do with a brush anyway. I only did 3 as one was in pretty good shape and I like to show off some of the 'survivor' chrome if it is passable.
Bob J.

Look fantastic! Curious Bob, what kind of paint did you use? Did you scuff the areas you painted? How did you apply? I've been contemplating on how to go about painting mine, as well as my bumpers. I wanted to make sure the paint adhered properly without easily coming off. Put some thought into it then got sidetracked.

Posted on: 2023/11/16 23:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob J
See User information
No prep at all. Just painted on the bright chrome, bumpers too. I know this is less than durable, but I am the one maintaining them and I am very careful.
That said, Packard did the same, all areas under the original paint where standard bright nickel, no texture for 'tooth'.
As to paint, tremclad red spray can, on the bumpers and bumperettes, masked and sprayed the black with a spray bomb too On the hubcaps the black was brushed on with black model paint. I used a desk magnifying lamp to see the edges better, the polishing process on the hubcaps caused the letter stamping and ring grooves to be greatly diminished in height and clarity so careful strokes where needed to key around each letter.
Bob J.

Posted on: 2023/11/17 8:03
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
This recent thread on the AACA Forums may be of interest. Scroll up when you open it, to start reading from the beginning.

Posted on: 2023/11/17 17:35
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved