Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
219 user(s) are online (124 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 218

Chuck McDonald, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Speedometer / Cable
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Wheelhorse76
See User information
Just was thinking here , has anyone ever thought about lubrication on the speedometer cable or the actual gauge ? I have in the past used like chain/cable lube on the cable but I had thought about a little squirt of spray inside the hub of the speedometer only because the way it works . I've noticed mine is typically 5-8 mph off . Maybe a little lube could correct that ?

Posted on: 2023/8/17 5:47
 Top  Print   

Re: Speedometer / Cable
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
They make a graphite lube that is recommended for the cable. Also, there is a spot on speedo head that is supposed to be lubed with light oil once every 50 years.

Posted on: 2023/8/17 7:01
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob J
See User information
Yes, I recommend some lube in the speedo head itself. Kev illustrated it to me too. I never thought about it before but it turned out mine was practically seized from sitting all those decades. Just a bit of oil in the area the cable goes in freed it right up and it smoothly drops back to zero now. Not a spot I would have thought to address.
Bob J.

Posted on: 2023/8/17 7:37
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Yes, as noted by others speedometer cables require occasional lubrication. But your error is typical of speedometers of that era (indicating higher than actual) and is most likely not related to cable lube. Error can also be introduced by installing other than OEM tire types and sizes.

Posted on: 2023/8/17 8:44
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Where the arrow is pointing to on the speedo, there is a little brass cup in there. You need to carefully pry that out. Underneath that is a wick. So you can apply a few drops of oil there and hand spin the speedometer to help distribute the oil.

On mine, the brass cup was smashed in, and wouldn't come out. So I had to drill it out. I replugged it with a small set screw after oiling. It just acts as a dust cover. So doesn't need to go in very far.

You can probably figure it hasn't been lubed since it left E. Grand Ave.

Attach file:

jpg  ScreenShot 759.jpg (164.92 KB)
1_64de3bb4c662f.jpg 1920X1576 px

Posted on: 2023/8/17 10:24
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Wheelhorse do you have the original bias plys, or radials?

Posted on: 2023/8/17 15:46
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Wheelhorse76
See User information
I have bias ply still on mine . I'm goinna go out on a limb and almost say they are the original firestones .

Posted on: 2023/8/19 9:25
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

Wheelhorse76 wrote:
I have bias ply still on mine . I'm goinna go out on a limb and almost say they are the original firestones .

I sure hope not or if they are at least hope the car is trailered most of the time. While they may still look great, driving any distance on old dried rubber is not the safest thing to do in my book.

Posted on: 2023/8/19 10:10
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

39SixSedanMan
See User information
Wheelhorse, all,
As Kevin pointed out, the small brass cup and wick allow a lubrication point to the input magnet shaft. It is important to keep this lubed as it gets quite a bit of rotation, thousand RPM at 60 miles an hour.
However, lubricating this point will not correct for a weak magnet or other obstruction keeping the pointer from moving to an accurate speed. Also deeper inside the speedometer, the odometer geartrain also can suffer from old dry lube. Unfortunately the engineers never figured out a good way to provide lube to all those different internal points from the outside of the unit.

Regarding the cable, although graphite will not hurt it, originally, the rotating inner core was given with a thin coat of grease; you don't want to pack it in or pump it in from the bottom. I've repaired many speedometers of which somebody had pumped grease up through the transmission and and all the way into the speedometer making one amazing archaeological dig for me to explore. A little grease is all you need.

I hope this helps, Pat

Posted on: 2023/8/20 8:11
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

39SixSedanMan
See User information
Wheelhorse, all,
As Kevin pointed out, the small brass cup and wick allow a lubrication point to the input magnet shaft. It is important to keep this lubed as it gets quite a bit of rotation, thousand RPM at 60 miles an hour.
However, lubricating this point will not correct for a weak magnet or other obstruction keeping the pointer from moving to an accurate speed. Also deeper inside the speedometer, the odometer geartrain also can suffer from old dry lube. Unfortunately the engineers never figured out a good way to provide lube to all those different internal points from the outside of the unit.

Regarding the cable, although graphite will not hurt it, originally, the rotating inner core was given with a thin coat of grease; you don't want to pack it in or pump it in from the bottom. I've repaired many speedometers of which somebody had pumped grease up through the transmission and and all the way into the speedometer making one amazing archaeological dig for me to explore. A little grease is all you need.

I hope this helps, Pat

Posted on: 2023/8/20 8:11
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved