Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
225 user(s) are online (148 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 223

Nevada56Hudson, BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: New Computer....
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
I have an Apple Macintosh SE with a Stylewriter II printer. It works as a stand alone, but is just for room decoration these days. Latest and greatest - in its day.

Posted on: 2023/9/1 11:42
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
No manuals anymore... and I hate that.
If you get any printed matter, it will probably have cartoons and no text.
They've moved beyond poorly written to not written at all.
But you can call a "help center" in Malaysia, if you have nothing better to do. That will get you something that sounds like the flamingo habitat at the Bronx Zoo.

Posted on: 2023/9/1 11:59
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
I have an Apple Macintosh SE with a Stylewriter II printer. It works as a stand alone, but is just for room decoration these days. Latest and greatest - in its day.

That is ancient. Keep it working another few years and it can go on the auction block and bring in big bucks like an original working Apple with the wooden keyboard box did a short while back.

Posted on: 2023/9/1 12:39
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

tsherry
See User information
I've got an old SE/30 and an Imagewriter; replaced the PRAM battery a few years back, still plays Oregon Trail....

Posted on: 2023/9/1 23:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Quote:

humanpotatohybrid wrote:

...At the ripe old age of 24 I don't like that new Windows look...

...I have some computers as old as 1995 at my house...

I don't know about the others, but if Kevin (BigKev), Howard (HH56), John (JWL) or I had a computer that was -> older than us, we would need a private hydroelectric plant to provide the necessary electricity.

image source: lynet-engineering.no

Attach file:

jpg  back to the future.jpg (129.94 KB)
757_64f359ad0da4d.jpg 1150X500 px

Posted on: 2023/9/2 10:50
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

Guscha wrote:
Quote:

humanpotatohybrid wrote:

...At the ripe old age of 24 I don't like that new Windows look...

...I have some computers as old as 1995 at my house...

I don't know about the others, but if Kevin (BigKev), Howard (HH56), John (JWL) or I had a computer that was -> older than us, we would need a private hydroelectric plant to provide the necessary electricity.

Other items not often mentioned besides the huge amount of electricity needed is the cooling for the thousand or so vacuum tubes and the noise generated by hundreds of mechanical switches and telephone style rotary searching relays, both of which make a fair amount of noise and have their own problems. The first computer "bug" and the reason for the name that stuck around and is still used today was actually just that -- an insect few into one of the relay or switch mechanisms and jammed it causing the machine to make an error in a calculation.

Posted on: 2023/9/2 11:17
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
The first pocket calculators were quite a shock. In that day, many offices still used mechanical adding machines that weighed 20 pounds or more.

Posted on: 2023/9/2 12:00
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Early in my career we had the king of the mechanical calculators, the Monroe-matic IQ which could also do multiplication and division! That would have been about 1970 or so.

Posted on: 2023/9/2 12:23
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
My two newer computers were hand-me-downs from a nonprofit where I worked many years go so are quite old. However, maximizing the RAM and installing 1TB SSD drive has made all the difference and they breeze along nicely. One has Windows 10 (the latest it will handle) for those very rare occasions when only Microsoft will do) but I run Ubuntu Studio (Linux) primarily as it runs circles around Windows even on older hardware.

My Oregon PC predates both of these but was similarly updated although the SSD was something of an issue due to it have the older IDE drive interface. I found a way, though, and made it happen! It has Ubuntu too.

Posted on: 2023/9/3 12:14
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

ECAnthony
See User information
James J. Nance in the 1960s, with Charles Miller, regional vice-president of General Electric, and GE's newest model computer.

Attach file:

jpg  JJN in the 1960s with Charles Miller, regional VP of GE (JJN-CSU).jpg (123.64 KB)
1445_64f4e48981a45.jpg 1200X974 px

Posted on: 2023/9/3 14:54
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved