Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
201 user(s) are online (145 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 198

Packardbarry, dallas, John M, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Long Distance Driving, mainly gasoline
Just popping in
Just popping in

MGWrench
See User information
I'm looking for a 1940 110 Touring Sedan, but I may get a later Packard more like the '51-'54 cars I grew up with. I've seen a number of forum items about how the ethanol in gas eats up the fuel system and carburetors. There isn't ethanol-free gasoline in my area, so my questions are:
1. Should I trailer a newly bought Packard home instead of driving it?
2. Other than replacing the fuel lines and fuel pump diaphragm with ethanol resistant parts, what can I do to protect the rest of the fuel system?

Posted on: 2023/9/8 9:43
 Top  Print   

Re: Long Distance Driving, mainly gasoline
Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
I've had no problems with running old cars on (Texas) E-10. The fuel system needs to be clean and in good condition no matter what fuel you use.

When rebuilding fuel pumps,carburetors, etc, it's probably best to use recent production kits and parts. NOS parts may be deteriorated due to age, and some parts may not be resistant to modern fuel blends.

I would avoid storing a car for more than a month or so with ethanol-adulterated fuel, and I would stay away from anything over E-10.

If the car you have acquired has been sitting for a long time, better check for stale fuel before running it.

Posted on: 2023/9/8 10:54
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
As long as your rubber fuel system components have been replaced with modern stock in the past 20 years, you should be fine.

Posted on: 2023/9/8 12:00
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Honestly at this point, if you're buying a car where the fuel system was rebuilt long enough ago that they didn't use ethanol friendly stuff, it's probably old enough that it's worth doing again anyway.

Posted on: 2023/9/8 16:23
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

CCR
See User information
Not sure how remote you are as it relates to gas station options but there are a few sites and apps that you can use to check for ethanol free. I only mention it because I live in a blended area of "country" and small towns and while not a ton of ethanol free places, there are more than I thought and ones I would not have considered checking that I discovered that way.

Posted on: 2023/9/8 19:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
To trailer or not to trailer is a hard one to answer. The answer lies in the: 1) distance, 2) your aversion to new life experiences, 3) Auto Club (or similar towing service), 4) condition of the car (running condition, tires, etc.), 5) availability or truck/trailer. And of course funds available if Gods decide to crap on you.

The best answer probably hinges one #s 1, 2, 3, & 4. Unless of course there is a significant other who is along for the experience. Then listen to them.

All of the above is a LOL. Need more info before processing.

I have a friend who drove 400 miles to buy a classic Cad and saw a drop dead 55 Buick and drove it home without a problem (car was a National Buick Club winner). Another friend who went to pick up a vintage trailer with his truck who I rescued with my truck when his broke down (P.S. All his friends knew he wouldn't make the 900 mile trip in his PU. This was a funny "Life Experience that consumed 16 hours of my time.

When all else fails just flip a coin.

AND OF COURSE - is it safe to drive!!!

Posted on: 2023/9/8 19:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

tsherry
See User information
Where I've had trouble with ethanol in old vehicles, they've been sitting with ethanol in them long enough or Bad Things To Happen. A fillup or five with ethanol on a road trip home would probably not hurt the system. Just flush it out with non-ethanol when you get home.

Posted on: 2023/9/8 21:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
If you live by a small airport.
Take gas cans.

And fill with av gas.

Posted on: 2023/9/8 23:01
Riki
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ken_P
See User information
Pure-gas.org is a great resource for finding ethanol free fuel.

Congrats on your purchase!

Posted on: 2023/9/10 15:14
1937 120 1092 - Original survivor for driving and continued preservation.
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=16514&forum=10

1937 115 1082 - Total basket case, partial restoration, sold Hershey 2015
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?start=0&topic_id=6550&order=ASC&status=&mode=0
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
100LL aviation fuel isn't a bad idea as long as you don't mind breathing in lead fumes. The lead content is basically the same as 60's gas and it's 100 octane.

The airport may also have something like ethanol free 93 in stock for the little planes.

Posted on: 2023/9/10 16:45
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved