Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
159 user(s) are online (114 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 159

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 6 »

Re: 1956 Packard Patrician for Project or Parts- Asking $3,000
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
The doors look pretty good but in case they're rusted, I have a set of four available that are already in the same color as your car!

Posted on: 2023/9/25 17:24
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Carl Jr
See User information
Quote:

Kevin wrote:
Do you mind if I ask what is the VIN on the car? Just wondering if it's a late production car. The 1956 cars were generally better than the 1955s, but the late 1956 cars were the best of the V8 Packards.

No Problem -
Dad's PA title listed an original title date of 1-6-56
and MFR'S. NO. 56821270

Does that mean it was made sometime in 1955?

Posted on: 2023/9/26 9:49
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Carl Jr
See User information
Quote:

Packard Don wrote:
The doors look pretty good but in case they're rusted, I have a set of four available that are already in the same color as your car!

What are the odds? Cool - Good to know - Thanks!

Posted on: 2023/9/26 9:50
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Carl Jr
See User information
Quote:

humanpotatohybrid wrote:
Quote:

Carl Jr wrote:
- I was wondering if she really had A/C. Dad never mentioned that part. That's great to hear and I'll be sure to include it in the listing.

- I did think about trying to soak the cylinders with Marvel Mystery Oil and try to hand crank it over. But it seems like the spark plus are absolutely buried. I actually live in Dallas, with limited time every other month to get the car and house in Pittsburgh ready for sale. Can you share any secrets that make it easier to access the plugs?

- And if I'm able to soak the cylinders and disconnect the A/C - what about the transmission? Is there any way to ensure that the parking pawl / drive train is disengaged?

- About where to list for sale - Any suggestions as to sites that Packard enthusiasts prefer for level 5 cars like this? Any recommendation for list as classified vs. auction?

- I can see the compressor under the hood and vents on the upper dash so definitely factory A/C. I doubt it was much needed in pgh though. Also, buying it used, it probably wasn't much difference in price. The A/C new was about a $10,000 option in today's money.

- The plugs aren't hard to access, just have the right deep well socket and a ratchet. Maybe a 3" extension. There's really nothing removable that would make it easier to be honest. Another idea is just to fill the entire engine, up to the intake manifold, with motor oil. But I'm not sure this would really be worth doing tbh.

- The parking pawl only locks the output shaft of the transmission. It would rotate freely even in Park... that's how the car starts and idles

- Post on eBay (sale, not auction, and open to offers), FB Marketplace, Craigslist, Packard Club classifieds, AACA classifieds... maybe also Bring A Trailer. Keep in mind that Packards are pretty slow movers...

Cool thanks!
Advice appreciated on all counts.

About the parking pawl - that's funny. Just goes to show how my brain is stuck in manual transmission mode...

Now I just have to hurry up to get her listed and wait...

Again - I greatly appreciate all the help on this thread!

Posted on: 2023/9/26 9:58
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
Quote:

Carl Jr wrote:
It's finally time to sell Dad's Packard.

This 1956 Patrician has been parked in the family garage since around 1961 . Dad said it was running when it was parked. But it surely hasn't been started in decades.

I grew up with this car patiently waiting for attention in the garage, and often thought about getting her running. But now that my dad has passed, we're finally clearing out my parents house. And it's now clear that we need to find the Packard another home. We hope to get a reasonable price for my Mom.

We're asking $3,000 based on a professional appraisal by PVPPI in May 2022 and slight market appreciation. We intend to list it in several places soon. But I wanted to start a post here, in case somebody wants to swing by Pittsburgh after the Hershey meet in this October.

Pennsylvania title is clear.

Car is stored in Pittsburgh PA.

Please contact me if you're interested or have any advice to help us find a good home.

Carl Ott
carl.ott.jr@gmail.com
or send a DM

This car has 68,300 miles.
In all those years, Dad only shared a few details about the car:
* Push button '52 Lincoln hydrostatic transmission (installed by a mechanic on Pittsburgh's North Side, due to issues with the OEM transmission).
* Electric windows
* Lots of non-OEM parts, for example, Dad put extensions to one or both torsion bars, since it started to bottom out. He said this was the first vehicle on highway with torsion bar suspension vs coils.
* About the electric shift mechanism, Dad said he disabled the shift contact mechanism, and reordered buttons, so could retain the Packard pushbutton mechanism. (to avoid the aftermarket guy who normally cut a hole int he floor to add a shift lever). Dad said it was not strong enough to pull out of the pawl, so dad had to park without putting the weight of the car on the transmission, a few times had to jack car up to get out of park...

Excerpts from the May 2022 appraisal
The last oil change sticker in door jam reads 1961, PA state inspection sticker on windshield also reads 1961, and the windshield is cracked in that area. It is believed that the car has been in storage in the same garage ever since. Since it has been in storage for over a half century without running or driving, this is a mostly complete #5 condition project vehicle. Much of the vehicle in inaccessible due to long-term storage.
The exterior body panels are in fair condition to poor, with large rust holes in the front fenders and quarter panels. Majority of chrome on the car is heavily pitted in poor condition. While the interior is mostly original and in good condition, there is mildew present but most of it can be saved.

Undercarriage exhibits heavy surface rust throughout which is common for this geographical region, but not completely rusted out. Majority of it is quite solid with the worst areas being the rocker panel rusted through. The Paint Code (MR) is Dover White & Mojave Tan Metallic with Trim Code (69) Tan Striped Broadcloth.

Gotta ask... a "1952 Lincoln hydrostatic transmission"????? Do you mean a Hydramatic transmission?????

The issue here is not a parking pawl nor is it your pushbuttons (which are likely now a Frankenstein customized nightmare if they work at all). A jerry-rigged transmission out of a completely different car is the problem combined with jerry-rigged pushbuttons. Heaven only knows what is really going on here, but absolutely frightening! One would need to sort out and un-do what has been done to this Patrician to even have a prayer of getting it back on the road.

Any rise in value for having factory air is certainly completely cancelled by this wild transmission modification. Guaranteed trouble. Guaranteed.

• As far as spark plugs being accessible, all you need is a spark plug socket, and extension and a ratchet wrench.

• There is no guarantee that the A/C compressor is frozen up. And unless it shows clear signs of the compressor clutch being somehow locked up, simply disconnect the electrical connector to the compressor. Easy.

• Be sure to turn the air cleaner around facing forward (presently mounted backward) before attempting to start.

Posted on: 2023/9/26 20:40
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Leeedy now that you mention it, I wouldn't be surprised if transmission gremlins were what was keeping Dad from pulling it out of the garage eventually.

Carl, can you post some more pictures of under the hood when you get a chance? Would like to see how the mopar (I meant Ford but wrote this when tired) transmission might have been wired in.

Posted on: 2023/9/27 8:01
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
I am confused. OP sez Lincoln, but then Hydramatic (which is GM) comes up. Now I'm seeing "mopar". Someone needs to crawl under the car and verify what's actually in there.

Switching pushbutton positions and related wiring is not impossible with OE Twin Ultramatic, but adapting it to the other brands would require a lot more work.

Meanwhile, shouldn't take more than a few minutes to pull plugs, squirt a good amount of ATF in each cylinder, then let it soak and see if it'll turn over. A good spark plug socket will have a hex on the drive end for a wrench (typcially to get behind generator.)

Posted on: 2023/9/27 10:01
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
For what it's worth and I think there may be some errors, Wikipedia says because Lincoln had no automatic of their own after the short lived prewar LiquiMatic, starting in 49 they chose to buy the GM Hydramatic for use in Lincoln Cosmopolitans. Hydramatic use lasted until 55 when Lincoln finally had their own full automatic trans called the TurboDrive. That trans was apparently similar to the already being used Borg Warner designed Ford O Matic and sister Merc O Matc which begs the quesiton why they didn't use that trans earlier.

I also did not see a mention of what Lincoln used in 53 when Hydramatic production was shut down because of a massive fire in the Hydramatic factory. Chevy had the Powerglide but more upscale GM models used the Dynaflow during the time Hydramatics were unavailable. No mention if Lincoln also used the Dynaflow or if they had a supply of Hydramatis on hand or if they went to the Ford or Merc version of the B-W trans the sister cars were already using.

Another surprising statement said that before buying the Hydramatic Lincoln first tried to buy the Ultramatic for use in the big Lincoln Cosmo models but was turned down because Packard could not supply enough to meet expected demand. If it actually happened, I suspect more than supply availability, it might have also had something to do with wanting the Ultra to stay exclusive for a year or two.

Posted on: 2023/9/27 11:33
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
Quote:

HH56 wrote:

>snip<

Another surprising statement said that before buying the Hydramatic Lincoln first tried to buy the Ultramatic for use in the big Lincoln Cosmo models but was turned down because Packard could not supply enough to meet expected demand. If it actually happened, I suspect more than supply availability, it might have also had something to do with wanting the Ultra to stay exclusive for a year or two.

I have never heard this before, and as desperately as Nance was scrambling about for revenue streams, I'm inclined to doubt this tidbit. I think he would have happily pimped out his transmissions.

Posted on: 2023/9/27 18:58
If you're not having fun, maybe it's your own damned fault.
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
1949 would be pre-Nance.

Posted on: 2023/9/27 19:28
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 6 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved