Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
156 user(s) are online (102 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 156

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Mechanical fuel pump and electric is it possible?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Mike
See User information
I overhauled my mechanical fuel pump. the system is so completely original.
Can I put an electric fuel pump in the line so that I can have it pumped briefly after a long period of standstill?
Did any of you build it like that? Makes sense?

Greetings and thanks
Mike

Posted on: 2023/10/9 7:48
 Top  Print   

Re: Mechanical fuel pump and electric is it possible?
Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Might as well just bypass the mechanical one in that case. I wouldn't connect them in series, though it might work.

Some members on here will simply crank in bursts until the fuel gets going. There is also the trick of starting the car on starter fluid or gas from a laboratory bottle.

I don't know if there is any feasible way to manually fill the carb bowl, but that might be another option.

Posted on: 2023/10/9 8:06
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I have an electric pump inline with the mechanical. I only use the electric to prime the when the car has been sitting.

I've had no issues with the mechanically pulling fuel through the electric pump when it is off.

But, you have to get the right style electric pump for that to work. Impulse-style pumps work fine for that. Rotary pumps do not.

I have the pump wired via an under-dash switch and hooked to ON position on the ignition switch. I usually will turn on the electric pump until I can hear it pressurize the line (tone-change in the pump) and then turn it off. The car then starts on the first attempt, even after sitting for a couple of months in the Midwest cold, without any excessive cranking. Usually, in the first 2-3 seconds.

Posted on: 2023/10/9 9:11
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
The only electric fuel pump I ever had in a Packard was in my 1953 Clipper Deluxe when I bought the car and if it had a switch, it was never off. It was a diaphragm type pump mounted on the frame in front of the tank that worked only when needed so when the key was turned on, it would go bump, bump, bump to pump the fuel up to the carburetor, then shut off once there was pressure. I doubt it ran much when the car was driving but if it did it was silent over the purr of the engine.

Posted on: 2023/10/9 11:08
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Though I don't think anyone has ever heard of this happening, if the mechanical fuel pump would fail (leak) with the electric one on, it would shoot gas into the oil pan and ruin the oil. Though as long as the electric is only used as needed and is the correct style as Kev mentioned, I think it would be fine.

Posted on: 2023/10/9 11:20
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

glentre
See User information
I also have a stock mechanical fuel pump with a separate electric pump at the gas tank in my '35 Super Eight. It has a toggle switch under the dash that I use only to start the engine

Posted on: 2023/10/9 11:42
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Mike
See User information
I have a Hardi pump from Germany. I wrote them an email today and they replied immediately. The pumps are suitable for this and the mechanical pump also pulls the petrol through there when the pump is switched off. So I can just put them in between.

Posted on: 2023/10/9 14:00
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
I too have the above described setup on my '39 six. It works well and is needed as I usually go weeks in between starts in the summer with my travel schedule. I also worried about the electric pump forcing fuel into the crankcase via a leaking diaphragm but always turn the electric pump off as soon as the engine fires and let the lift pump take over, so I think it is a reasonably safe arrangement. Chris.

Posted on: 2023/10/10 12:44
'If you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!' Henry Ford.
1939 Packard Six, Model 1700
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

longjohn
See User information
You can do this with a solenoid (clicker) type pump as they allow fuel to flow through when the pump is off. It won't work with a rotary or vane type pump as they won't allow fuel to flow through when the pump is off.

Posted on: 2023/10/12 20:21
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Digger Dave
See User information
I have a 6-volt pump in series and parallel with a normal fuel line.

I installed my pump with a switch used primarily for assisting if the car has sat for a while. After starting, I typically turned the electric pump off. BTW, when the pump has built up pressure, they typically don't make noise. They really only make noise while building pressure.

I also have a direct feed with a check valve mounted parallel to the pump so that the mechanical pump can pull through the check valve and allow the car to run normally. The check valve keeps the electric fuel pump from sending fuel back to the tank in the parallel line.

I did all of this for 2 reasons.
#1 I didn't want to for feed my mechanical pump and possibly cause a seal in the mechanical pump to fail and allow fuel into the engine.
#2 I didn't want to over pressurize, so I would have needed a pressure regulator, but that wouldn't have relived my worries of #1
#3 I like redundancy with a solid backup.

I used to have turned on the pump on long uphill pulls on my tired engine. I hope the rebuilt engine doesn't need the electric pump.

Posted on: 2023/10/15 14:29
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved