Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
217 user(s) are online (137 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 214

jgrohn, Jim in Boone, John Iaccino, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

what is this 52 worth?
Just popping in
Just popping in

highway 89revisited
See User information
found this car today and was told it is for sale for 3000.00.
engine looks very good. needs inteior. has spare grill and fender skirts. new white walls.
I'm new to packards and wonder if it is worth what they want for it before I get too excited. Forgot to mention it has a 3 speed transmision (3 on the tree).

Attach file:

jpg  (46.30 KB)
1458_49e7ece622c67.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2009/4/16 21:49
 Top  Print   

Re: what is this 52 worth?
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Two big questions for me would be:

What is the body/rust condition. Rocker rust, floor boards, wheel wells trunk? Surface rust is not a big thing, but rust holes, or thin spot would be.

Does it run? Brakes? Transmission? etc

For $3,000 you really want something that is driveable (or close to it), and has somewhat solid body (excluding paint). These are great cars, but the 51-54s have only a modest resale value when restored (Caribbeans, convertibles, and certain Seniors excluded). So you want to get as much car as you can for the money.

If the body has no major rust through, and the mechanicals are in decent shape, then I would think $3,000 would be a fair price.

But thats just my opinion owning and working on a '54.

Posted on: 2009/4/16 23:19
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day highway 89revisited,
to PackardInfo, a great Site!

If you do buy the '52 could you please include it in the Owner Registry together with a pic and any known history?

Posted on: 2009/4/17 1:23
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Jim
See User information
Welcome to PackardInfo!

As Big Kev accurately described, this depends on a number of factors. Personally, for me, a big selling point on this particular car is the standard transmission.

I am a bit unclear on the toothy grill in what otherwise appears to be a standard 200. None the less, it looks neat.

If you want a Packard, and the cost / time to put this particular car in your desired level of finish (paint, chrome, interior, and mechanicals) is acceptable to you, go for it!

If not this Packard, I strongly hope another,
Jim

Posted on: 2009/4/17 3:13
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

David Conwill
See User information
Say, I like this shot, it's a more flattering angle than this one:

Click to see original Image in a new window

And the pink car looks better with all the trim on it.

-Dave

Posted on: 2009/4/17 9:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

dallas
See User information
Hi, Can you get some info on the Plymouth next to the Packard? I had a 1955 Plymouth Belevidere Convertible in high school. If the Packard runs, drives and stops and is complete, plus like Kev says, not a rust bucket $2500 would be a fair price. Good Luck!

Posted on: 2009/4/17 9:28
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

highway 89revisited
See User information
The location on this car is Nephi Utah,
Seems this guy has a car lot that only deals in older cars.
oldest on lot is a 22 ford truck-newest is a 64 pontiac.
contact number is 425-623-0144. Lloyd Brough is the owner of said lot.
He can tell you all about the plymouth.

As to the Packard thanks for the information. I have a couple of other vehicles that I had plans to retore but for my first restoration I want some thing in better shape to start with.

The motor turns over but the thought it need new plugs and the points cleaned.
Have no idea about the brakes.
the was not any rust through that I could see on the worrisome areas.
the front fenders have some damage, and the rear bumper is a bit crooked.
What would I be looking at to replace the interior?
Included view of other side on this post.
Thanks again for the help.

Attach file:

jpg  (45.75 KB)
1458_49e89f9ebb29f.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2009/4/17 10:27
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Car looks like it has promise if it checks out halfway mechanically.

As to the interior, depends on what you want to do. Back to original, there's only a couple of places that MIGHT have the fabric and it won't be cheap, nor will the labor. If you just want a driver then Kanterhttp://www.kanter.com///eCatalog/s00032.htm and others offer fairly complete custom made sets out of modern fabrics for around $5-600. You can either install yourself or have done at a shop for a not terrible price.

Posted on: 2009/4/17 10:41
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Most of us know that value guides are to be taken with a grain of salt, at best. A fairly recent one lists this 52 sedan at $1425 ($1450 if it's a DeLuxe) for a car that's in poor condition but is complete and runs. As a 85-95 point show car they show a value of about $10,000, and about $16,000 for an impeccable example. Just having the grille castings and bumpers replated would probably set you back $4000 or so for a good job, so that doesn't leave much room for mechanical, interior, paint, etc. Based on that guide, I'd say the asking price is a bit out-of-line. Those numbers don't change substantially whether it's a 200, 300 or 400 sedan and it's unclear to me what model it is. Any chance you can get the vehicle number from the driver door forward pillar? PS - and how about the large embossed # over the heater box, the oft-called thief-proof number?

That's if you look at it from a monetary viewpoint which fortunately many of us don't, we fix these cars and return them to service because we love them and want to participate in the enjoyment a hobby brings.

EDIT - the price guide I referenced was edited by Phil Skinner and printed in Cars and Parts a few years back.

Posted on: 2009/4/17 11:22
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
$2040 to $3800 depending on exact model and condition. According to my Old Cars Price Guide. If you want all the gory details you can pick up your own copy for $5 bucks at any good magazine store.

From what you say, and from the pics, I think your car would be on the low side of the range.

As Owen pointed out these are only a guide. There is no hard and fast rule and no standard price for a car that old. It all depends on condition, where it is located, how bad you want it and a lot of other factors.

Posted on: 2009/4/17 15:56
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved