Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
211 user(s) are online (127 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 211

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 8 9 10 (11) 12 13 14 ... 32 »

Re: Thief-Proof Numbers (body serial numbers)
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
BTW, the furthest stretch of a prior body upgraded to a later year was at Warren this year. A 1937 Dietrich phaeton, and Packard's last factory phaeton was 1936. What caught my eye was the it was titled as a 37, with all the 37 features, but it had suicide front doors which went out in 36. Turns out it was a 1935 body stamping.

Posted on: 2010/1/16 20:30
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Yes, right. Now realize the difference between the 35 and 36 bodies and chassis is pretty minimal, and an upgrade of the nose is quite simple. But 37 bodies are very different!! And of course the entire chassis is different too what with IFS and hydraulic brakes, etc. S\

So it was one very interesting car, a real mix of some 37 sheetmetal like front clip, with 35/6 features like the rear-hinged front doors. Chassis was 37. As I recall it was a Twelve, black, and quite a stunning restoration. Probably have a picture or 2 somewhere.

I assumed the car to be legitimate, but the desire of some mmisguided souls to generate value by creating something bogus and present it as authentic can lead to some strange things.

Posted on: 2010/1/16 20:41
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Gerd, there is another possibility I should have pointed out. It's equally possible that the body was built in 1935, perhaps in response to an order placed and subsequently cancelled, and the body lay "in prime" and was completed as a 1936 model in response to a new order.

A little nuance about the previously mentioned 36 Twelve with a 35 TPN; since it was a Dietrich is also carried a Dietrich body# tag under the front carpet, and it was also a 1935 number, The VN tag was also a bit unique though I've seen it on other 36 senior cars; instead of simply giving the body type + production number, for example 919-1319, it was preceeded by a stamping "14th", meaning 14th series. Interesting little oddity.

Here's the data from that car, note it's titled as a 927 body (1936) but built as an 827 (1935).

Attach file:

jpg  (114.30 KB)
177_4b5292957ce17.jpg 948X1198 px

Posted on: 2010/1/16 21:59
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Gusha, thanks for thinking of me with the numbers, I'm still interested in collecting them but as I've already submitted my sequel to the original article my interest has waned a bit. But you never know when a number will come along like this one - and change the picture.

The highest 1952 BDN I have is B60212 and the lowest 1953 number is B83547; this body is clearly a 1953 by the windshield configuration so it becomes an important number, now the lowest known 1953.

As to the Briggs # matching the VN, this was almost always the case 1951 thru 1954, and almost always not the case thru 1950. And I note how nice and crisp the BDN stamping is, not at all like 55/56 when the dies were apparently wearing out.

Unfortunate that someone couldn't have taken the few seconds needed to mask the VN plate before repainting.

Thanks again.

Posted on: 2010/7/29 12:17
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Gerd,

From the pic's in the link see the dealer selling this Packard has a number of other US cars in his yard. The '53 looks to be in good condition with interesting two tone paint.

Posted on: 2010/7/30 16:56
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
??? = back end of a 1954 Chevrolet.

(o{I}o)

Posted on: 2010/7/30 17:47
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Gerd, that '53 has a '52 grille on it. Perhaps a parts availability issue?

Posted on: 2010/7/30 19:25
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Martin OToole
See User information
I see that this subject is semi-closed, but will offer the data off my car to be filed as FWIW.

serial number: I342-2148
Delivered 11/1/1939, Packard Indianapolis, Inc.
Only the triangles without numbers.
Engine: C501995B
Model 1807.

Martin K. O'Toole
Marietta, Georgia

Posted on: 2010/7/31 19:42
1940 Model 1807 Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Martin, thanks for the #s. Though my appetite for them isn't as voracious as it was, I'm still collecting and recording.

Posted on: 2010/7/31 22:30
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Martin OToole
See User information
Owen:

Small correction. Today I happened to notice that the engine block number is actually "CC" preface instead of "C". The first "C" is very faint on off the raised section of the block.

More FWIW.

MKOT

Posted on: 2010/8/2 20:07
1940 Model 1807 Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 8 9 10 (11) 12 13 14 ... 32 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved