Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
161 user(s) are online (98 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 161

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Fuel Filter 55 Constellation
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:

PackardV8 wrote:
.......i have yet to have anything explode on me nor even flame.

Tho i would never try it BY MYSELF i have assisted in soldering tiny leakes in gas tanks ON the car where a torch was used to heat the tank and smear the tinners paste while applying the small brass patch. My job was to keep the seeping gas wiped off from the seaping hole and to cover any flame with a large rag that mite occur and to hand supplies and to hold the brass patch in place until it cooled. THE SECRET IS TO HAVE THE TANK **** FULL ***of gas. As in FILLED to the top.

And you lived to tell the tale!

Posted on: 2008/3/18 14:54
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Allen Kahl
See User information
Jselph:

There is one other way you might want to consider. Put the whole thing in a bowl and fill the bowl with white vinegar.
let it set for 24 hours. At that point it should come unstuck. This was done on my Patrician engine after sitting for 8 years. I have been running on that engine for the last 10 years.

Good luck

Posted on: 2008/3/18 15:08
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Quote:

the whole thing in a bowl and fill the bowl with white vinegar......This was done on my Patrician engine

That must have been a BIG bowl, and you must have needed a lot of vinegar!

Posted on: 2008/3/18 15:27
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
Ba Da Bing <Rim Shot>

Posted on: 2008/3/18 23:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
Just a note to again thank everyone for the suggestions. I put the entire assembly in carb cleaner and took it out this weekend. It had separated on it's own after soaking. I washed and dried everything and it almost looks like new. There was nothing that even resembled a filter element inside the bowl, so am I missing something or is it just supposed to be an empty bowl?
I know that HH56 shows a paper filter element and cork gaskets, but this one had a one piece rubber gasket and nothing else.
Thanks,
John

Posted on: 2008/3/31 10:18
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
There should be a white ceramic element in there. But the original one in mine was disolved to nothing also. I ended up buying a complete new filter and element off of ebay for about $10.

They make two different sizes of elements. One taller than the other one. You need the smaller of the two.

Also there should have been a little spring in the bottom of the bowl that hold the element in place. If you are missing both the element and the spring, then just try to buy a NOS assembly, or do Howard's conversion.

Attach file:

jpg  (47.23 KB)
1_47f10c659bb3a.jpg 853X431 px

Posted on: 2008/3/31 11:08
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
There is normally a ceramic type element about 3/4 ht of bowl and slightly less in diameter held in position by a spring at bottom. I have not been able to find the correct size replacement aftermarket. At one time I checked with a Packard vendor with no luck but that may have changed. The one I did find was for another make & was too large diameter and expensive, hence the effort to replace with modern paper which is detailed on the site. Another poster improved on my effort if you do a search. Recently I saw that restoration supply company has same type setup but with replaceable paper element. It's on page 11 of their catalog but unknown if it would fit either.

Edit: just saw Kevs post and 10 bucks is the way to go. If I remember, the price for the wrong one was close to 20 and the paper one on rest supply is 12. My paper retrofit was also about 10 plus stuff I had around.

Posted on: 2008/3/31 11:09
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Try this url. I bought element with gasket and a new spring.
http://www.chrysler300club.com/rcmstuff/filter/filt2.html

27) Carter NOS ceramic fuel filter elements with gasket,
$16ea. Gasket only $3.ea. New zinc plated springs for
elements, $4 ea.

Posted on: 2008/3/31 13:14
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information

Posted on: 2008/3/31 13:35
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Allen Kahl
See User information
O.K.

bad choice of words. The mechanic poured white vineger down the spark plug hole in each cylinder and waited 24 hours. been running on the engine ever since.

Posted on: 2008/3/31 13:53
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved