Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
70 user(s) are online (54 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 70

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: Galena National
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Gusha asks in post #11: even has hexagons on the surface of the cylinderheads. But why do they always appear as a pair?

I didn't look at the specific picture but I suspect what you see are threaded caps which provide access to the valve heads. A necessity on engines where the block and cylinder head are cast "en-bloc", that is, as a single casting w/o a removeable cylinder head.

Posted on: 2011/7/18 10:59
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Dave, that sounds logic. Thanks again.
What an interesting arrangement. The spark plugs seem to be mounted above the inlet. Do you know why inlet and outlet valves changed the position in the first and fourth cylinder?

Click to see original Image in a new window

Attach file:

jpg  (30.98 KB)
757_4e2569631f24d.jpg 498X374 px

Posted on: 2011/7/19 6:20
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Gerd, may I take a swing at this ball? I believe the valve arrangement is to have no two exhaust valves next to each other. Possibly, the thinking was that having two exhaust valves closely situated would result to too much heat in a small area. Two intake valves next to each other would not cause excessive heating of the area. Engine metallurgy at that time was developing to cope with increasing power demands and hence more heat generation. Let's see what the experts say about this.

(o{I}o)

Edit: Cylinders 3 and 4 do have adjacent exhaust valves, but they are in different block castings.

Edit, edit: Plus the same casting could be used for both cylinder blocks.

Posted on: 2011/7/19 9:53
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi

Man, Oh Man, Do I wish I had attended!!!

Thanks for posting the great pictures, enjoyed them immensely, but my heart is aching for having missed it!

Steve

Posted on: 2011/7/19 19:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Quote:
Gerd, may I take a swing at this ball? I believe the valve arrangement is to have no two exhaust valves next to each other. Possibly, the thinking was that having two exhaust valves closely situated would result to too much heat in a small area. Two intake valves next to each other would not cause excessive heating of the area. Engine metallurgy at that time was developing to cope with increasing power demands and hence more heat generation. Let's see what the experts say about this.

(o{I}o)

Edit: Cylinders 3 and 4 do have adjacent exhaust valves, but they are in different block castings.

Edit, edit: Plus the same casting could be used for both cylinder blocks.

John, thank you for taking the swing at this ball. The engine has

[OI IO IO][OI IO IO]

from the first to the last cylinder. I'm with the idea, that this valve arrangement has at least thermal aspects. If the engine designer tried to string out the outlet valves this would have been a creative possibility. On the other hand the heads have an imbalanced heat distribution. Well, no head gasket necessary, that tempers the wind to the shorn lamb, so to speak, since the head gasket would be the weakest link.
Thanks again John!

Attach file:

jpg  (24.57 KB)
757_4e27222b7f667.jpg 500X333 px

Posted on: 2011/7/20 12:45
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
Here is a nice youtube video from Packards of Chicagoland.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Dq33tYG2uQ

Posted on: 2011/7/20 13:12
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Thanks much for posting that link - some very fine camera work and it looks like it was a very successful meet. My congratulations to all the organizers!!

Posted on: 2011/7/20 15:26
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Thanks for the link also! It was a lovely day for the show in Galena downtown. I wonder if I or my wife are in it? The organizers did a wonderful job as did the owners who graciously displayed their Packards. Well worth my 2 days of driving to get to it !

Posted on: 2011/7/20 16:26

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Jeff
See User information
I had a marvelous time, and tip my hat to Packards of Chicagoland for a terrific week. It was like an oasis in an island of heat - 100 F in Kansas City, 80 in Galena, then back to 100 in KC. I should have just stayed there!

I'm posting my favorite pics (the 1920 Twin Six on the road), but I have more if anyone wants to see them. No sense repeating what others have posted!

Attach file:

jpg  (63.05 KB)
263_4e28c29016f7c.jpg 517X550 px

jpg  (67.95 KB)
263_4e28c2f0b5fa7.jpg 749X518 px

Posted on: 2011/7/21 19:24
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information

Posted on: 2011/7/22 0:36
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved