Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
176 user(s) are online (108 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 175

Andrew Sinclair, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 8 9 10 (11) 12 13 14 ... 35 »

Re: packards in tv and movies
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Martin OToole
See User information
Looking over this thread I think I can offer a couple of other suggestions. My Man Godfrey with Lombard and Powell has a few Packard coupes in the first sconces when Lombard goes searching for a "lost man" and finds Powell. There may be another appearance in later scenes when they return to the dump; I don't recall.

I seem to recall a Cary Grant movie where he and his former wife and wife to be again are drunk operating a convertible coupe. The car eventually runs away when they are talking to a motorcycle cop and crashes. Don't recall that title.

Posted on: 2011/9/4 11:38
1940 Model 1807 Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Roger L. Hosmer
See User information
The car that ran away was a Buick

Posted on: 2011/9/4 13:10
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gary
See User information
I know this is going way back but I'm pretty sure that I spotted Big Kev's '54 on TV in an old movie I was watching on TCM (Turner Classic Movies)over the Thanksgiving Holidays. Yepper...it was a movie called "Down Three Dark Streets" and Big Kev's '54 showed up a couple of times but one particular time on a dark street with its lights off...poised to pounce on anything that dared to roll by and when it finally did...Big Kev's Thunderbolt launched that Clipper like a rocket...they had a good shot of it accelerating in pursuit of the vehicle they were tailing and you could see the back end squattin'down like it was grabbin' hold of some pavement!...looked like it had plenty of get up and go as it disappeared into the night. The Movie was made in 1954 so it had to be Kev's car...no mistake about it!...

Attach file:

jpg  (24.66 KB)
4000_4ed62748307a8.jpg 300X445 px

Posted on: 2011/11/30 7:53
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

phsnkw
See User information
I think the Cary Grant movie was "The Awful Truth" with Irene Dunne and Ralph Bellamy. Grant and Dunne suspect each other of fooling around so get divorced. Then they sabotage each others chances for romance. The Packard convertable was Dunne's and after acting drunk, ruining Grant's engagement, gets Grant to take her to her Aunt's cabin, where on the way they are pulled over by cops and she releases the parking brake, letting the car coast off the road and hit a tree.

Posted on: 2011/11/30 8:45
"Do you ever think about the things you do think about?"

Inherit the Wind
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

PaulC
See User information
Hi
This is my first post on PackardInfo and I'm motivated to add my two cent's worth.
I understand that my 1956 Patrician left the USA, it had a bit part in 'Thirteen Days', a film about the Cuban Missile Crisis. it appeared parked outside a government office building.
There's a scene in the Ed Wood cult classic 'Plan 9 From Outer Space' - said by some to be the worst movie ever made - of a 1955 or 1956 Clipper cruising along a freeway.
I recall an early 1950s classic film set in San Francisco that had the female lead driving a Reinhart Patrician. Can't remember its name just now.
Finally, there was a TV mini series shown earlier this year about the Kennedys that had a Panama Yellow and Dover White 1956 Clipper hardtop in the background of one scene supposedly set at Hyannis Port. I took a screen shot:

Attach file:

jpg  (52.21 KB)
3451_4ed6411bbd58f.jpg 1024X576 px

Posted on: 2011/11/30 9:45
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
let me set the scene....two women bickering like cackling hens beside man in wheelchair. man in wheelchair is old, and thankfully can turn off his hearing aide, but still seems to be drooling from the mouth over the view of the Packard he is day dreaming about driving. tear falls from mans face....sadly....he isn't driving it....but stuck in a wheelchair in hell on earth....because even with the hearing aide turned off...he can still hear the women....

seems about right to me.

Hank

Posted on: 2011/11/30 10:07
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

bozonono
See User information
There was a TV series in 54 starring Ralph Bellamy as a detective. Packard sponsored the show so that everyone was driving a Packard. He drove a 53 Mayfair. It seemed bogus to me at the time, i was about 13, as everyone was driving a packard or a clipper, and they never seemed to be going that fast even in the chase scenes.

Posted on: 2011/11/30 10:27
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
google says....."man against crime" Ralp Bellamy as Mike Barnett 1949-1954 cbs, but no mention of Packard.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Man_Against_Crime

Posted on: 2011/11/30 10:33
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Don't remember the show but with 84 episodes, I shouldhttp://www.imdb.com/title/tt0041040/ A quick glance at the Movie car database doesn't seem to show any of the Packards likely used. Maybe having a specific model to search for one would be found--or more likely, the database doesn't do TV.

Posted on: 2011/11/30 10:39
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Hmm... I was 9 years old. My folks bought a TV in '52. I have no memory of the show. I was probably watching Howdy Doody.

Posted on: 2011/11/30 10:46
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 8 9 10 (11) 12 13 14 ... 35 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved